Old 01-05-2014, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Comments please.

In a Yuku group I belong to a member from South Carolina US of A posted
the following

"I have been wanting a privacy fence, or screen (bushes or trees) in my
back yard since 2007 when my backyard neighbor cut down all the Redtip
bushes that gave me a private back yard and NO view of his home. I lost
that privacy 7 years ago.

They are nice people but their yard is a distraction to me because they
drive vehicles back there from time to time and have other events that I
would like blocked. I have lost my privacy.

The cost of putting up a privacy fence could cost $3000 or more. Not in
my budget. So I have opted to plant bushes/trees that are well known as
screens. My budget is approx. $1000.

The three choices I like a
Leyland Cypress Trees
Arborvitae
Wax Myrtle

They are fast growing, and can withstand full sun. I am concerned with
how much watering I will have to do. Water is expensive here.

Monday (April 21) a landscaper will be visiting to give me his
suggestions. He says he has irrigation ideas that will save me money on
water, but I am concerned that the price for this will put me back in
the ballpark of the price for a fence."

Then in a further posting she said

" Now, I know I need to get other quotes, but all the nurseries give you
"their landscaper" for the actual planting. The other nursery that I
contacted gave me their landscaper number, and that landscaper told me
they charge $200 for their advice, BUT if I stay with the nursery that
are working for, the nursery would deduct that $200 from the price of
the trees."
Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What about a box hedge (Buxus sempervirens)?

Leylandii cypresses are difficult because all the green
growth is on the top and the bottom bits of the stems fall
out, making them bald eventually. So when you lop them off
they look dreadful. Ditto with Pittosporum. If you cut the
top off when they're young they may be OK but won't be that
nice to look at for several years.

Here are a few Box images that may make you interested.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/gard...elephants.html

http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatal...oTwwod6pw AyA

I know they're UK sites, but it might give you some ideas.

Box doesn't seem to need that much water (well, ours don't
they're often starved of water through the summer, but
they're still going strong after 35 years).

In UK you can buy little boxes of, say, 10 Box at garden
centres, and plant them yourself, a couple of feet, apart
and wait for a while to see what happens. They cost under
$30 for a dozen I imagine. Our neighbour did this and his
10 foot x 30 foot hedge looks great. Also, they grow
without anybody noticing, so before your neighbour is aware,
you'll have a hedge. Make sure any hedge you plant is on
your side of the boundary, then only you will be able to cut
it down.

Good luck.

someone

Old 01-05-2014, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 01 May 2014 20:49:22 +0100, David Hill wrote:

The three choices I like a
Leyland Cypress Trees Arborvitae Wax Myrtle

Thuja plicata
Old 02-05-2014, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

I presume its so expensive because they are already large plants?
I would avoid anything that couldn't be cut back hard, but have absolutely
no idea what the growing conditions are like in South Carolina!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 02-05-2014, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

[...]

Never understood why Privet (Ligustrum ovalifolium) has fallen out of
favour. Makes a superb healthy evergreen hedge that is easily clipped into
shape annually and is not a thug like Lelandii (Cupressocyparis Leylandii)
that need cutting two or three times a year. That said I have no idea if it
would grow well in South Carolina, USA.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Never understood why Privet (Ligustrum ovalifolium) has fallen out of
favour. Makes a superb healthy evergreen hedge that is easily clipped into
shape annually and is not a thug like Lelandii (Cupressocyparis Leylandii)
that need cutting two or three times a year. That said I have no idea if it
would grow well in South Carolina, USA.

It's not reliably evergreen in the UK - it becomes deciduous if the
winters are as cold as Cambridge used to have in the 1980s. Also,
it does need cutting at least twice a year if it likes the conditions.

I agree that it's better than leylandii!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-02 10:36:18 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Never understood why Privet (Ligustrum ovalifolium) has fallen out of
favour. Makes a superb healthy evergreen hedge that is easily clipped into
shape annually and is not a thug like Lelandii (Cupressocyparis Leylandii)
that need cutting two or three times a year. That said I have no idea if it
would grow well in South Carolina, USA.

It's not reliably evergreen in the UK - it becomes deciduous if the
winters are as cold as Cambridge used to have in the 1980s. Also,
it does need cutting at least twice a year if it likes the conditions.

I agree that it's better than leylandii!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

We have a very aged plant of L. ovalifolium towards the bottom of our
garden, at the start of a path in a very shady area. It's a lovely
plant, very handsome. Other than clipping it back a bit to keep the
path clear, once a year, if that, we never do more and here, in S.
Devon it's 100% evergreen.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-01 19:49:22 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

Leylandii would give birth to a monster, so absolutely 100% NO from me!
I have no idea if it would work there but has he, or she, looked at
Pittosporum tobira for possible suitability?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-05-2014, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
sacha wrote:

[...]

Yebbut, what I said stands. In my experience, it's reliably evergreen
down to at least -5, and reliably deciduous below about -10 (at least
if that is sustained). I don't know how cold it would get to actually
harm it, but a long way below that.

Lots of plants are evergreen in mild circumstances and deciduous in
harsh ones - and the 'mild' and 'harsh' can be heat and drought just
as much as cold. Cyclamen and pomegranate are like that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/05/2014 21:38, sacha wrote:
On 2014-05-01 19:49:22 +0000, David Hill said:

[...]

Strange no one has picked up on the charge of $200 for advice.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-05-02 20:49:05 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
sacha wrote:

[...]

We're corroborating each other's experiences, don't you think? You are
in the cold drainage of Cambridgshire and we're in the mild wet of
Devonshire. Until I came here, I'd never seen this plant. It's so
handsome, so unlike the 'normal' privet hedge that I had trouble
believing they were related. If, given the above info from
experiences, anyone wants to try it, I'd commend it on looks alone.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-05-2014, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Have you considered Berberis Darwinii. It's used widely in the UK as a
hedging plant although it's great also as a standalone shrub and grows up to
8'. I would have thought it would be suitable for your area as it will
tolerate up to USDA 8 temperatures, and it is drought tolerant, but will
need more water in its first year just to get it established. It's happy in
partial shase or full sun. Here's the details..

http://www.findmeplants.co.uk/plant-...inii-0559.aspx