Old 11-09-2014, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slug nematodes

Just a thought
Do Slug nematodes have any effect on snails?
Old 11-09-2014, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 09:05:57 David Hill wrote:

Just a thought
Do Slug nematodes have any effect on snails?

Well, I think so. We tried nematodes this year as we've had an invasion
of both slugs and snails in our garden for years, eating away at and
destroying my wife's favourite bedding plants. In previous years we've
tried egg shells, nut shells, etc., with no effect. Since introducing
nematodes the plants have survived pretty well.

This is by no means a scientific answer to your question as I couldn't
swear that both slugs and snails have suffered from the nematodes but I
am inclined to think that they were.

David

Old 11-09-2014, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Rance
writes
On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 09:05:57 David Hill wrote:

Just a thought
Do Slug nematodes have any effect on snails?

Well, I think so. We tried nematodes this year as we've had an invasion
of both slugs and snails in our garden for years, eating away at and
destroying my wife's favourite bedding plants. In previous years we've
tried egg shells, nut shells, etc., with no effect. Since introducing
nematodes the plants have survived pretty well.

This is by no means a scientific answer to your question as I couldn't
swear that both slugs and snails have suffered from the nematodes but I
am inclined to think that they were.

David

There were some dead snails on the beds where I used the nematodes this
year.
--
bert
Old 12-09-2014, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 09:19:06 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 09:05:57 David Hill wrote:

Just a thought
Do Slug nematodes have any effect on snails?

Well, I think so. We tried nematodes this year as we've had an invasion
of both slugs and snails in our garden for years, eating away at and
destroying my wife's favourite bedding plants. In previous years we've
tried egg shells, nut shells, etc., with no effect. Since introducing
nematodes the plants have survived pretty well.

This is by no means a scientific answer to your question as I couldn't
swear that both slugs and snails have suffered from the nematodes but I
am inclined to think that they were.

I have not tried nematodes before but earlier this year we appeared to
have problems with leatherjackets and was thinking of giving the
appropriate Nemesis stuff a try as apparently it is the best time of
year to apply them.
--
rbel
Old 12-09-2014, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote ...

Just a thought
Do Slug nematodes have any effect on snails?

Do they have any effect of slugs? We tried them once, we bought a seasons
treatment and had to water them onto our potato bed every few weeks, but
unfortunately what they don't tell you before you buy is that you have to
keep the soil moist, impossible here as we aren't allowed to use a hose on
our allotment site and we also seem to be a dry spot rain wise. So the
result was £25 down and still slug damage. Been cheaper to buy bags of
organic spuds.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-09-2014, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
"David Hill" wrote ...

Just a thought
Do Slug nematodes have any effect on snails?

Do they have any effect of slugs? We tried them once, we bought a
seasons treatment and had to water them onto our potato bed every few
weeks, but unfortunately what they don't tell you before you buy is
that you have to keep the soil moist, impossible here as we aren't
allowed to use a hose on our allotment site and we also seem to be a
dry spot rain wise. So the result was £25 down and still slug damage.
Been cheaper to buy bags of organic spuds.

It does work, we used to have a dreadful problem with slugs in our Leeds
garden (on heavy clay, so quite damp) Since we moved down to
Cambridgeshire, - not the Fens, on a free draining gravelly soil,
whildt we still have slugs, they don't seem to cause us a much of a
problem really.

The nematodes did work, certainly reduced the slug problem, but not that
cheap - though we didn't use the full amount rcommended.
--
Chris French

Old 16-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Registered User

I have read of a way to make your own slug nematodes. One bucket with a cover to which is added 2 inches of water, a pile of greens edible to slugs, and about 20 slugs. Ensure sufficient greenery so that the slugs don't drown. If all the slugs have died within 3 weeks the chances are that it has been caused by nematodes. All you need is one slug to be infected with nematodes. Tip the water into a watering can and top up with water and use it to water your garden. I was thinking of giving it a try this year but I have breeding slow worms in my garden and I am not sure if nematode infected slugs in their diet could cause them any harm.
Old 17-09-2014, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 21:21:55 +0200, Bigal
wrote:

I have read of a way to make your own slug nematodes. One bucket with
a cover to which is added 2 inches of water, a pile of greens edible to
slugs, and about 20 slugs. Ensure sufficient greenery so that the slugs
don't drown. If all the slugs have died within 3 weeks the chances are
that it has been caused by nematodes. All you need is one slug to be
infected with nematodes. Tip the water into a watering can and top up
with water and use it to water your garden.

But don't do it on a still warm windless evening unless you have no
sense of smell. The odour of comfrey " tea "compost doesnt even come
close.
I walked up our small village road one evening this summer wondering
why I could smell dung spreading out of season the pong getting worse
as I neared home. My missus can be a bit unconventional but I thought
she had finally flipped when upon reaching the gate I observed her
spraying a Honeysuckle air freshener spray over, --- a real
Honeysuckle and plants along a fence. Our neighbour then appeared
over the fence and asked if I seen any tankers emptingy any septic
tanks at the antisocial time of early evening as with all her windows
open the smell had filled her house. Minutes before she had asked the
same question of my missus fortunately not realising that the pong had
come from the slug mixture just poured out from the watering can she
was holding. Took about two days to clear,I'm not sure if any slugs
were killed or they just moved to get away from the stink.

G.Harman

Slug eats slug Judith in England United Kingdom 38 27-09-2014 10:59 PM
where to find nematodes/ diatomaceous earth Judy Devore Texas 26 17-05-2003 05:44 AM
still looking for where to buy DE and nematodes Judy Devore Texas 1 08-05-2003 01:44 PM
[IBC] nematodes Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 10 08-03-2003 02:56 AM
Sites on nematodes, slugs, wireworms etc. sacha United Kingdom 2 27-11-2002 09:18 AM