Old 09-01-2015, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Secateur Recs Please

My last 2 pairs of cheapo DIY store secateurs got blunt long before their
springs perished.

Q1. Is there a case for storing my next one (on a hook) in the Open
position? In the usual blades-locked position, doesn't this constantly
tension the spring?

Q2 Any recs for a reliable make in the £10 - £25 bracket. Preferably not
lightweight. Thanks in Anticipation.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
My last 2 pairs of cheapo DIY store secateurs got blunt long before their
springs perished.

Q1. Is there a case for storing my next one (on a hook) in the Open
position? In the usual blades-locked position, doesn't this constantly
tension the spring?

Q2 Any recs for a reliable make in the £10 - £25 bracket. Preferably not
lightweight. Thanks in Anticipation.

I am a Felco person, they are a bit more but mine are still as good as the
day I bought them over 20 years ago now.

(I do sharpen them nearly every time I use them)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 09-01-2015, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/01/2015 17:01, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
My last 2 pairs of cheapo DIY store secateurs got blunt long before
their springs perished.

Q1. Is there a case for storing my next one (on a hook) in the Open
position? In the usual blades-locked position, doesn't this constantly
tension the spring?

Q2 Any recs for a reliable make in the £10 - £25 bracket. Preferably
not lightweight. Thanks in Anticipation.

I am a Felco person, they are a bit more but mine are still as good as
the day I bought them over 20 years ago now.

(I do sharpen them nearly every time I use them)

I use Felcos, too, and I'm with Charlie all the way on this. They're
pricey but well worth the investment. I wouldn't buy anything else now.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 09-01-2015, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 17:01:37 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

I am a Felco person, they are a bit more but mine are still as good as the
day I bought them over 20 years ago now.

(I do sharpen them nearly every time I use them)

+1

Watch Amazon for special offers. Under £30 recently.

Thanks Charlie, Spider and Martin. Hadn't heard of Felco before. Looking on
ebay, they do a large number of models.

There's a 160l at £17 and a # 5 at £25. :- http://tinyurl.com/mbuooe9

I will give Amazon a look-see.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 22:43:32 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 21:11:40 -0000, "Bertie Doe" wrote:

. ..

wrote:

I am a Felco person, they are a bit more but mine are still as good as the
day I bought them over 20 years ago now.

(I do sharpen them nearly every time I use them)

+1

Watch Amazon for special offers. Under £30 recently.

Thanks Charlie, Spider and Martin. Hadn't heard of Felco before. Looking on
ebay, they do a large number of models.

There's a 160l at £17 and a # 5 at £25. :- http://tinyurl.com/mbuooe9

I doubt if the ones described as genuine secateurs are genuine Felco :-)

I agree. That sounds like a Chinese fake. You are more likely to get
the genuine article from Amazon.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 11:26:16 +0000, Fuschia wrote:

I agree. That sounds like a Chinese fake. You are more likely to get the
genuine article from Amazon.

+1 on Felco, I think the best general ones are #2.

My wife requested cheap secateurs for Christmas, she keeps them in the
pocket of a walking coat to clear back bramble etc off the paths; they do
tend to get lost although the last pair lasted many years. I got a
Spears and Jackson that seem quite solid, on sale at 10 Euro.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 10-01-2015, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/01/2015 09:44, Bertie Doe wrote:
My last 2 pairs of cheapo DIY store secateurs got blunt long before
their springs perished.

Q1. Is there a case for storing my next one (on a hook) in the Open
position? In the usual blades-locked position, doesn't this constantly
tension the spring?

Q2 Any recs for a reliable make in the £10 - £25 bracket. Preferably not
lightweight. Thanks in Anticipation.

A favourite tip of mine is to retain an old pair of secateurs for
cutting through woody roots underground, a job that would harm your best
secateurs, whoever makes them.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 10-01-2015, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/01/2015 13:24, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 13:13:13 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 09/01/2015 09:44, Bertie Doe wrote:
My last 2 pairs of cheapo DIY store secateurs got blunt long before
their springs perished.

Q1. Is there a case for storing my next one (on a hook) in the Open
position? In the usual blades-locked position, doesn't this constantly
tension the spring?

Q2 Any recs for a reliable make in the £10 - £25 bracket. Preferably not
lightweight. Thanks in Anticipation.

A favourite tip of mine is to retain an old pair of secateurs for
cutting through woody roots underground, a job that would harm your best
secateurs, whoever makes them.

and not to lose the tool provided to adjust the blades :-(

Quite so. I tend to use either my fingers or the Husband Thingy,
neither of which I would want to lose.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 10-01-2015, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/01/2015 11:26, Fuschia wrote:

I agree. That sounds like a Chinese fake. You are more likely to get
the genuine article from Amazon.

Many companies that sell on Ebay also sell on Amazon. There is a
difference between supplied by Amazon, supplied by Amazon on behalf of a
third party company and an Amazon seller.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/01/2015 13:39, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 13:37:32 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 10/01/2015 13:24, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 13:13:13 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 09/01/2015 09:44, Bertie Doe wrote:
My last 2 pairs of cheapo DIY store secateurs got blunt long before
their springs perished.

Q1. Is there a case for storing my next one (on a hook) in the Open
position? In the usual blades-locked position, doesn't this constantly
tension the spring?

Q2 Any recs for a reliable make in the £10 - £25 bracket. Preferably not
lightweight. Thanks in Anticipation.

A favourite tip of mine is to retain an old pair of secateurs for
cutting through woody roots underground, a job that would harm your best
secateurs, whoever makes them.

and not to lose the tool provided to adjust the blades :-(

Quite so. I tend to use either my fingers or the Husband Thingy,
neither of which I would want to lose.

Especially your husbands thingy :-)

LOL:~)) Indeed! I'm sure he would agree with you. I'm assuming here
that you're referring to his dibber;~)
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

A slightly off the wall suggestions - have a look at www.niwaki.com
They are based in Saftesbury, Dorset and sell Japanese tools. I
started with one of their tripod ladders. I've since purchased two
secateurs - they are a little heavy but so far have given no cause for
concern.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/01/2015 09:44, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 17:04:07 +0000, Spider wrote:

[...]

LOL is that what you call it?

;~)) In public, yes. Don't ask!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 18-01-2015, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I am a Felco person, they are a bit more but mine are still as good as

the
day I bought them over 20 years ago now.

(I do sharpen them nearly every time I use them)

+1

Watch Amazon for special offers. Under £30 recently.

Thanks Charlie, Spider and Martin. Hadn't heard of Felco before. Looking

on
ebay, they do a large number of models.

There's a 160l at £17 and a # 5 at £25. :- http://tinyurl.com/mbuooe9

I will give Amazon a look-see.

Have a look at these - Bahco P121-23 230mm bypass secateurs. Less than half
the price of an equivalent Felco and just as good imo. I've had my pair for
over 20 years and they are still going strong.

http://tinyurl.com/mpd9onz

Old 18-01-2015, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"FrankB" wrote in message
o.uk...

Have a look at these - Bahco P121-23 230mm bypass secateurs. Less than half
the price of an equivalent Felco and just as good imo. I've had my pair for
over 20 years and they are still going strong.

http://tinyurl.com/mpd9onz

Thanks I already have a shortlist of Wolf, Felcro and Stihl. I'll add Bahco
to it.

Moisture meter recs please Maurice Goldstein United Kingdom 4 07-03-2017 08:41 AM
1) BZT and 2) pump recs. Fred Ponds 1 27-06-2004 01:02 AM
Thanks to everyone for filter recs Carl Beyer Ponds 0 28-07-2003 04:42 PM
Recs for shrubs? shaded, clay soil... Jaffacake United Kingdom 2 28-11-2002 12:21 AM
Any Wormery recs? Jaffacake United Kingdom 0 19-10-2002 07:59 PM