Old 19-06-2015, 06:09 PM
Registered User

Default ...15 years later

...I woke up this morning and the names slug girl* and pester boy* came into my head, for no reason other than I had a day planned for gardening.

Lo and behold Google tells me that UK.rec.gardening is still going. I expect many of us left off as life gets so busy in the this do-it-yourself internet world. Will I have time to keep with this forum? I hope to.

I left off gardening for many years as next door's 4 leylandii planted in a 6 foot row stripped my garden of light, food and water. But I am most grateful for the new neighbours who moved in and cut them down. Normally, I'd tie myself to a tree to stop the chain saws - but this time I did a little jig in the front room!

Problem I have now is finding the energy the dig over a large 12' x 12' bed that has been neglected for 10 years ...I'm not as young as I was.

(* or is it the other way around)
Old 19-06-2015, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Norrette
writes

..I woke up this morning and the names slug girl* and pester boy* came
into my head, for no reason other than I had a day planned for
gardening.

Welcome back!

Cormaic no longer posts here as he's too busy running his own paving
company but he still hosts our web site.

David

P.S. Yes, it was the other way round. Pester girl and slug boy.

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 20-06-2015, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 8:12:58 AM UTC+1, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 19:09:48 +0200, Norrette
wrote:

[...]

Welcome back. But be aware that you're posting via garden banter,
which isn't uk.rec.gardening, but a commercial site masquerading as a
forum or newsgroup, and which plagiarises urg.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Thanks for welcomes. Good to know about the Banter website - I'd hoped it would be a way of avoiding spammers through Google. (My ISP no longer takes news groups.)

This year was also the first for ages I watched Chelsea on the box - good to see more emphasis on plants and less on garden 'hardware'

Norrette
Old 20-06-2015, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 10:18:10 PM UTC+1, David Rance wrote:
Cormaic no longer posts here as he's too busy running his own paving
company but he still hosts our web site.

P.S. Yes, it was the other way round. Pester girl and slug boy.

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

Ah, Cormaic. I should've remembered him when I last replaced my paving (another disastrous waste of money)

ps You wouldn't happen to be a poster on demon.service by any chance?
Old 21-06-2015, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Norrette (Curlew) wrote:

Thanks for welcomes. Good to know about the Banter website - I'd hoped it would be a way of avoiding spammers through Google. (My ISP no longer takes news groups.)

Try this, it's free, and works well for me.

http://www.eternal-september.org/

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Old 21-06-2015, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
"Norrette (Curlew)" writes

On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 10:18:10 PM UTC+1, David Rance wrote:
Cormaic no longer posts here as he's too busy running his own paving
company but he still hosts our web site.

P.S. Yes, it was the other way round. Pester girl and slug boy.

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

Ah, Cormaic. I should've remembered him when I last replaced my paving
(another disastrous waste of money)

ps You wouldn't happen to be a poster on demon.service by any chance?

Yes, I am. What good fun we're having there! Never seen so much
correspondence though it's dropped off quite a bit now. There's only so
much one can get out of a situation, though Demon/Thus/Vodaphone have
done pretty well this time!!!

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 21-06-2015, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/21/2015 8:20 AM, Martin wrote:

https://news.individual.net/ is more reliable but costs EUR10/annum. For your
EUR10/£10 you get fantastic service if you have a problem and a lot of spam
removed. If you complain about a spammer they will block it.

See https://news.individual.net/overview.php for details

+1
Old 21-06-2015, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/06/2015 08:07, David Rance wrote:

Yes, I am. What good fun we're having there! Never seen so much
correspondence though it's dropped off quite a bit now. There's only so
much one can get out of a situation, though Demon/Thus/Vodaphone have
done pretty well this time!!!

I gave up on Demon 15 years ago and have had better service from the
ISPs I've used since then. I subsequently ditched Clara on price and
Freedom2Surf because they were taken over by TalkTalk and the service
went downhill, big time, within a day or two. I'm currently with Zen.

I was with Demon for round 8 years but just got fed up with the endless
series of down-times and mistakes they were making. It seems that
nothing has changed in a decade or more. 25 years ago they were
innovators and widely copied by those ISPs who came afterwards but I get
the impression that with being taken over the new owners were only
interested in acquiring the customer data base rather than the ISP
functionality.

Old 21-06-2015, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , alan_m
writes

On 21/06/2015 08:07, David Rance wrote:

Yes, I am. What good fun we're having there! Never seen so much
correspondence though it's dropped off quite a bit now. There's only so
much one can get out of a situation, though Demon/Thus/Vodaphone have
done pretty well this time!!!

I gave up on Demon 15 years ago and have had better service from the
ISPs I've used since then. I subsequently ditched Clara on price and
Freedom2Surf because they were taken over by TalkTalk and the service
went downhill, big time, within a day or two. I'm currently with Zen.

When my current subscription with Demon runs out in November I shall
probably order fibre from Zen

I was with Demon for round 8 years but just got fed up with the endless
series of down-times and mistakes they were making. It seems that
nothing has changed in a decade or more. 25 years ago they were
innovators and widely copied by those ISPs who came afterwards but I
get the impression that with being taken over the new owners were only
interested in acquiring the customer data base rather than the ISP
functionality.

And Vodaphone, who own them now, don't even seem interested in keeping
the Demon customers. Whenever anyone asks for a MAC code they get it
with no argument. I've stayed with Demon for twenty years mainly due to
inertia.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 21-06-2015, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/06/2015 11:34, David Rance wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes

[...]

Inertia here as well. I will eventually switch to fibre, but I'm
concerned that all companies will eventually merge to BT. Still not sure
who to choose.

Norrette
Trying this with Thunderbird and eternal-september - thanks for tips folks.