Old 10-10-2015, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default where has everybody gone?

On 10/10/2015 05:14, Robert Harvey wrote:
sacha wrote:

One of the groups I belong to is UK and Friends Gardening. It's
moderated in that 'nasties' won't be permitted but there is no heavy
handed "you can't talk about cacti in here" stuff going on!

Ha! Found you. Many thanks.

Bob Harvey

After the posts here I have capitulated. I "made a friend" of my
daughter, that gave me loads of others. One of them, my step grandson
had scores of friends, how can one keep track, of be interested in that
many? anyway now I have to find how to get to gardening pages. so if you
do not see me here "Sigh of relief?" in future you will know I am lost
among the facebook pages!
Old 10-10-2015, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 18:16:16 +0100, sacha wrote:

One of the groups I belong to is UK and Friends Gardening. It's
moderated in that 'nasties' won't be permitted but there is no heavy
handed "you can't talk about cacti in here" stuff going on!

Thank you - I have asked to join, will see how it goes!

----

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay underlying soil worked for many decades.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 18:08:25 sacha wrote:

I'm sorry but I said it some time ago and I'll say it again, newsgroup
days are numbered simply because of the ease and flexibility of
Facebook.

But yet you were the one more than anyone else who was so keen that urg
should not die through lack of use! I was wondering where you had
disappeared to.

For me, Facebook and Twitter don't hold any attraction. I've seen the
rubbish that people I love write there and it has put me off for life.

David

Old 10-10-2015, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/2015 14:41, David Rance wrote:
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 18:08:25 sacha wrote:

I'm sorry but I said it some time ago and I'll say it again, newsgroup
days are numbered simply because of the ease and flexibility of Facebook.

But yet you were the one more than anyone else who was so keen that urg
should not die through lack of use! I was wondering where you had
disappeared to.

For me, Facebook and Twitter don't hold any attraction. I've seen the
rubbish that people I love write there and it has put me off for life.

David

But that'sd a bit like not using the phone because people talk rubbish
on it. That said, I haven't found anyone on Twitter that isn't
shamelessly promoting themselves.

---

Old 10-10-2015, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

stuart noble wrote:
, I haven't found anyone on Twitter that isn't
shamelessly promoting themselves.

Me. I shamelessly promote www.geograph.org.uk , not myself.

It's good. Go & have a look.

@Geograph_bob

Old 11-10-2015, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/2015 22:21, Robert Harvey wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
, I haven't found anyone on Twitter that isn't
shamelessly promoting themselves.

Me. I shamelessly promote www.geograph.org.uk , not myself.

It's good. Go & have a look.

@Geograph_bob

I did, and it is!
Duly bookmarked

---

Old 11-10-2015, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 11-10-2015, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

stuart noble wrote:
Me. I shamelessly promote www.geograph.org.uk , not myself.
It's good. Go & have a look.

I did, and it is!
Duly bookmarked

Welcome aboard. New contributions very welcome.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2015-10-10 13:41:45 +0000, David Rance said:

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 18:08:25 sacha wrote:

I'm sorry but I said it some time ago and I'll say it again, newsgroup
days are numbered simply because of the ease and flexibility of
Facebook.

But yet you were the one more than anyone else who was so keen that urg
should not die through lack of use! I was wondering where you had
disappeared to.

For me, Facebook and Twitter don't hold any attraction. I've seen the
rubbish that people I love write there and it has put me off for life.

David

I was very keen to keep urg alive and having been on it for 17 years,
hope I've done my bit in that direction. But at the same time, it has
become terribly repetitive with a very small nucleus of regulars but
the same topics recurring over and over again. I don't think any forum
is perfect but at least Facebook attracts a wider audience and the
sheer number of available groups means one can always find something
interesting or helpful.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-10-2015, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2015-10-10 04:14:40 +0000, Robert Harvey said:

sacha wrote:

One of the groups I belong to is UK and Friends Gardening. It's
moderated in that 'nasties' won't be permitted but there is no heavy
handed "you can't talk about cacti in here" stuff going on!

Ha! Found you. Many thanks.

Bob Harvey

Good to see you there, Bob.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-10-2015, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sacha wrote:

One of the groups I belong to is UK and Friends Gardening. It's
moderated in that 'nasties' won't be permitted but there is no heavy
handed "you can't talk about cacti in here" stuff going on!

Ha! Found you. Many thanks.

Bob Harvey

After the posts here I have capitulated. I "made a friend" of my
daughter, that gave me loads of others. One of them, my step grandson
had scores of friends, how can one keep track, of be interested in that
many? anyway now I have to find how to get to gardening pages. so if
you do not see me here "Sigh of relief?" in future you will know I am
lost among the facebook pages!

UK and Friends Gardening, Exotic Gardening UK, Hardy Tropicals
Gardening, UK Tropical Look Gardening are just a few.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-10-2015, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/10/2015 00:27, Emery Davis wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 17:10:46 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

I've been wondering the same thing. Sacha?

FB.

Yes would be a lot easier on FB. I mostly gave up here after Outlook
Express died, Thunderbird not the same for me.

---

Old 11-10-2015, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 18:08:25 +0100, sacha wrote:

I'm sorry but I said it some time ago and I'll say it again, newsgroup
days are numbered simply because of the ease and flexibility of
Facebook.

There are a lot of people find Usenet is easier to use than Facebook.
It depends on the newsreader.

AAMOI stats say Usenet traffic is rising. Probably due to binary and
picture attachments.

Quite, all the evidence of the text newsgroups I'm on, most of which
I've been members of for many years, traffic has been declining for some
time, the quieter groups are dead really.

It's a shame, I prefer using newsgroups, but easier to use or not, I
think they are just a back water really, that people don't even really
know about much anymore. Forums and Facebook are just a more
straightforward option.

I don't particularly like it, but that's the reality
--
Chris French

Old 11-10-2015, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/2015 12:43, Martin wrote:
I have floods of very pretty mid 30-ish women wanting to be my friends. Turned
out that they are old school friends of my kids.

Oh, I get those too. I think we all do.

Or do you mean they really are old friends of your kids, not just
"professional" women?

Andy

Old 13-10-2015, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/2015 22:29, Martin wrote:
They are friends of my kids, who are in their thirties.

Pretty women you say? Perhaps you could pass them on to my sons who are
of that age and seem resolutely single!

Andy

OT Where has time gone Mike United Kingdom 7 22-04-2003 01:08 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 2 30-01-2003 12:44 PM
has the FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 1 30-01-2003 12:41 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 0 30-01-2003 06:26 AM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 0 30-01-2003 05:56 AM