Old 11-11-2018, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Looking for rough grass/paddock mower

For many years we've used a venerable Kubota T1600H to both mow our
lawns and to cut large areas of rough paddock (brambles, stinging
nettles and, hopefully, grass). The T1600H is now beginning to show
signs of its age.

We have bought a Stiga 'out front' mower for the lawns so I'm
wondering what to get for the rougher paddock areas. We have a
compact tractor (Iseki 18Hp) as well so the choice probably lies
between:-

Add on flail mower for the tractor, OK but not so manoeuverable as
the Kubota we have now for edges, corners, etc.

A new[er] ride on rotary mower, there are some that advertise
themselves as specifically for rough mowing (though I've not seen
a diesel powered one which we'd prefer)

Sonmething else? E.g. a 'walk behind' mower of some sort, but it
needs to be powered (i.e. driven wheels) and to have an easy
forward/reverse to get along edges of fences, into corners, etc.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 11-11-2018, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 11:59:34 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

We have bought a Stiga 'out front' mower for the lawns so I'm wondering
what to get for the rougher paddock areas.

Why not use the Stiga for that as well?

A new[er] ride on rotary mower, there are some that advertise
themselves as specifically for rough mowing (though I've not seen a
diesel powered one which we'd prefer)

Countax do (did?) diesel versions of their bigger mowers - but they are
expensive. Nettles shouldn't bother any decent sized ride-on and
frequent mowing will also keep the brambles in check.

--
Ermin
Old 11-11-2018, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2018 11:59, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Since you already have the tractor, why not a topper? Mine came with a
PTO topper but that didn't cope so well with our very rough paddocks, I
now have a cheap Chinese one with its own honda clone motor. About £1200
iirc for a four footer. Key start. I've given away the tractor but tow
this behind an ATV (which actually copes with slopes better). The only
thing I slightly miss is the ability to pick up the topper with the
three bar linkage for backing right into corners.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y Ermin wrote:
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 11:59:34 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

We have bought a Stiga 'out front' mower for the lawns so I'm wondering
what to get for the rougher paddock areas.

Why not use the Stiga for that as well?

Because it's not designed for rough ground or for hacking through tall
nettles and such. Our paddocks can get pretty overgrown at times with
great patches of thistles, nettles and tough grass.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 11-11-2018, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y newshound wrote:
[...]

Yes, that's a possibility, as per my first option. However the
tractor is nowhere near as manoeuverable as the Kubota so it's much
harder work (or at least takes much longer) going along edges by
fences and getting into corners. I do have a topping mower and tend
to use it for the 'bulk' mowing of the paddocks, what I'm after is
something to mow patches of nettles/thistles/etc. and to wiggle around
all the trees in the orchard.

--
Chris Green
·

Old 11-11-2018, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 16:10:01 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

In uk.d-i-y Ermin wrote:
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 11:59:34 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

We have bought a Stiga 'out front' mower for the lawns so I'm
wondering what to get for the rougher paddock areas.

Why not use the Stiga for that as well?

Because it's not designed for rough ground or for hacking through tall
nettles and such. Our paddocks can get pretty overgrown at times with
great patches of thistles, nettles and tough grass.

OK. its obviously a different model of front mount Stiga to the ones I've
seen used then. They go through most stuff.

--
Ermin
Old 11-11-2018, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Nov 2018 16:13, Chris Green wrote:
In uk.d-i-y newshound wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you need a rear wheel steering mower like I've seen used at
Kew and Wisley. They whip around the trees etc.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 11-11-2018, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

Yes, that's a possibility, as per my first option. However the
tractor is nowhere near as manoeuverable as the Kubota so it's much
harder work (or at least takes much longer) going along edges by
fences and getting into corners. I do have a topping mower and tend
to use it for the 'bulk' mowing of the paddocks, what I'm after is
something to mow patches of nettles/thistles/etc. and to wiggle around
all the trees in the orchard.

Sounds like you need a rear wheel steering mower like I've seen used at
Kew and Wisley. They whip around the trees etc.

That would be lovely if there was one designed for rough ground but
they're aimed at pretty lawns in the main.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 11-11-2018, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 17:19:33 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:

Yes, that's a possibility, as per my first option. However the
tractor is nowhere near as manoeuverable as the Kubota so it's much
harder work (or at least takes much longer) going along edges by
fences and getting into corners. I do have a topping mower and tend
to use it for the 'bulk' mowing of the paddocks, what I'm after is
something to mow patches of nettles/thistles/etc. and to wiggle
around all the trees in the orchard.

Sounds like you need a rear wheel steering mower like I've seen used at
Kew and Wisley. They whip around the trees etc.

That would be lovely if there was one designed for rough ground but
they're aimed at pretty lawns in the main.

Look at

https://www.deere.co.uk/en/commercial-mowing/

https://www.lawnmowersdirect.co.uk/c...petrol-mowers/
field-and-rough-grass-mowers/

http://www.powercut.co.uk/equipment/used-j/

None are cheap but you are indicating you want 'commercial quality' mowers

--
Ermin
Old 11-11-2018, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

Yes, that's a possibility, as per my first option. However the
tractor is nowhere near as manoeuverable as the Kubota so it's much
harder work (or at least takes much longer) going along edges by
fences and getting into corners. I do have a topping mower and tend
to use it for the 'bulk' mowing of the paddocks, what I'm after is
something to mow patches of nettles/thistles/etc. and to wiggle
around all the trees in the orchard.

Sounds like you need a rear wheel steering mower like I've seen used at
Kew and Wisley. They whip around the trees etc.

That would be lovely if there was one designed for rough ground but
they're aimed at pretty lawns in the main.

Look at

They're 'commercial' but not necessarily for rough/tough ground.

https://www.deere.co.uk/en/commercial-mowing/

No clue anywhere about whether they can deal with rough ground and
weeds etc.

https://www.lawnmowersdirect.co.uk/c...-grass-mowers/

Not a single ride-on or out-front mower here. Yes, I've seen this web
page before but it's not really what I'm after.

http://www.powercut.co.uk/equipment/used-j/

No idea whether it's suited to rough groound again, it *might* be but
I doubt it somehow.

None are cheap but you are indicating you want 'commercial quality' mowers

I want something half way between a commercial lawn (cricket,
football, whatever) mower and a farmer's serious undergrowth clearing
machine. 'Commercial' doesn't necessarily mean capable of handling
non-lawn weeds etc.

--
Chris Green
·

Old 11-11-2018, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2018 16:13, Chris Green wrote:
In uk.d-i-y newshound wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you need a goat :-)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2018 20:57, newshound wrote:
Perhaps you need a goat :-)

Unlikely.

You know the difference between a sheep and a goat? A sheep is a grazer,
a goat is a browser.

Which means a sheep eats the lawn, and a goat eats the roses....

ANdy
Old 12-11-2018, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2018 21:57, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 11/11/2018 20:57, newshound wrote:
Perhaps you need a goat :-)

Unlikely.

You know the difference between a sheep and a goat? A sheep is a grazer,
a goat is a browser.

Which means a sheep eats the lawn, and a goat eats the roses....

ANdy

Another difference is a sheeps tail hangs down and a goats tail sticks up.
Regarding the cutting problem, I have a 2 wheel tractor Pasquali and
atachments including a ride on trailor (worth it's weight in gold).
Rotary plough
I also have a 115 cm cutterbar.

paddock to garden Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 7 20-04-2010 10:13 PM
Rough Rough! Dave Hill United Kingdom 25 14-01-2010 09:23 PM
Rough mower engine Geoff Griffiths Lawns 10 26-05-2009 04:10 PM
Hand powered mower for rough lawn? Abertech United Kingdom 4 10-07-2008 02:01 PM
Orchid Fair at Paddock Mall in Ocala, Fl. William Hill Orchids 0 11-09-2003 05:22 PM