Old 10-05-2003, 06:20 PM
VivienB

Default Steep bank how to plant help please

On Sat, 10 May 2003 17:46:07 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Scratch the G. palmatum. The wind will decimate it in an exposed site and I
should have thought of that before. But the Hypericum and Vinca are both
possibles. Hypericum is commonly known as St John's Wort and Vinca as
speedwell. There are various kinds of Vinca, with different size leaves,
flowers, colour etc. Some creep, some form mounds, so you'll need a bit of
advice from your local nursery or someone here, if you go for that.
This obviously isn't what you want to hear but if Gorse grows well on that
site, I'd leave it alone and only hack back what you don't want, where you
don't want it. There's a reason sea cliffs are often covered with it!
And of course, for you, it will always be 'kissing time'. ;-)

Ummmm.... around here, Vinca is known as periwinkle. What is
called speedwell is a quite different plant.

Regards, VivienB
Old 10-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Mike

In article , Mark
writes

Err No, I also have to use this method on a bank but use an elec-hover.
I cable tie the dead man's handle switch On.

I shuddered when I read this bit :-((

the mains lead is cable tie to the rope,

and I could understand this bit :-{

and a helper stands by the
ELCB switch.

:-))) Yes I go along with this as long as they are very quick and don't
'drift away' for a while ;-)

IMHO this is even safer than with a petrol mower which would be
difficult to stop in an emergency.

And I do agree with you here, although my banks were so steep and uneven
that I could stop the Flymo quite easily, (in fact tooooooooooo easily
time and time again) by diverting it quickly to a roughish patch and
stalling it :-(

I must have thrown out the leaflets on the petrol hovers I had, but I do
know that there was a picture in the leaflet telling you, and showing
you how to mow a steep slope with the rope technique, that is why I knew
Sacha didn't know what she was talking about. Makes me wonder what other
sorts of 'advice' she give customers/clients in the nursery she so
freely advertises :-{{

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 10-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Rod

"V6" wrote in message ...
I have a very steep and large bank area that I have spent a few weeks
burning and removing the roots of dense bramble.
Ideally I'd love to set grass, but there is no way I could mow or even strim
regularly.

I couldn't weed regular tho so shrubs seem out too.

If I was to set wild flowers would I soon get over-run by weeds again?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. By the way the bank overlooks the
sea, so roses and conifers are out!

I'd try and replicate something like a species rich cliff-top grassland. You'll need to do a lot of footwork around
your area to find what does well. Also a lot of homework/webwork to identify and source your plant, tho' many of them
will already be there if you give 'em chance to reestablish. Cutting shouldn't be a very onerous chore once you have the
nutrient levels down and the coarse stuff like brambles out. You will have to remove the cuttings like a hay crop though
to reduce and keep the nutrients down. This is an excellent site to use careful spot spraying with a glyphosate based
weedkiller(Roundup etc) to get rid of persistant coarse weeds. Don't buy any grass seeds just allow the local fine cliff
top grasses to establish/reestablish. Almost any bought mixture will be too competitive and look absolutely wrong in the
bargain. Places like 'Land Life' should be able to advise and supply seeds of the flowering plants you need. If well
done this type of grassland can look stunning, is ecofriendly and a beautiful place to be.

Rod

Old 10-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes
in article , Kay Easton at
wrote on 10/5/03 5:59 pm:

In article , Sacha
writes

Scratch the G. palmatum. The wind will decimate it in an exposed site and I
should have thought of that before. But the Hypericum and Vinca are both
possibles. Hypericum is commonly known as St John's Wort and Vinca as
speedwell.

Is it?????
I've always known speedwells as veronicas, and Vincas as periwinkles
(though why they should have the same name as a smelly sea snail I don't
know!)

You're quite right, periwinkle it is! A day in the Malvern Hills and
environs has addled what remains of my brains. Sorry.

Oh dear! I wonder what 18 years did to mine ;-)

But then I'm out of step on gilliflowers as well.

Aren't they anemones?

Usually clove scented things like pinks, think the older folk round me
used it for wallflowers.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike wrote:
In article , Mark
writes

Err No, I also have to use this method on a bank but use an elec-hover.
I cable tie the dead man's handle switch On.

I shuddered when I read this bit :-((

After I nearly mowed my foot BECAUSE of one safety device, I removed
the damn thing entirely! It is common for the regulations to demand
something but not to specify that it is usable.

That was a mower (probably Black and Decker), which had a locking
button on the dead man's switch so that I needed both hands on the
same side of the handle to turn it in. Not exactly good for control
on even my negligible slopes!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Steep bank and new to gardening! Sme83 United Kingdom 1 16-04-2006 10:24 AM
Having steep sides on a pond? Han Chung Ponds 0 28-12-2003 09:16 PM
Steep Hill Problem Bee Gardening 4 03-08-2003 10:42 PM
Ground Cover for Steep Bank DavesVideo Gardening 8 23-07-2003 01:42 AM
help please STEEP hillside garden alice United Kingdom 8 31-03-2003 09:08 PM