Old 13-09-2020, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rechargeable Mowers

On 2020-09-13, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

No real surprise that these things are now on the menu, but are
any real folks ditching the petrol models to get
these?

What is the likely life span of the batteries? Have they been
round long enough to know?

The area I have to cut is around 15m x 6m. Anyone like to
recommend a model suitable for this?

Soemone asked back in April, I posted the following...

Yes, we bought one 4 years ago. A Cobra Self Propelled Cordless Mower,
model MX46S-40V. Soem bits are bit "plasticy" but it's held up ok. It has
2 batteries, and switches over from one to the other so you can do a
longer spell of mowing. One battery does about 30 mins of mowing. We
bought an extra battery, so if we need to we can do about 90 mins of
mowing - which just about does our garden (third of an acre) as long as we
keep up to the cutting.

The battery doesn't last as long if the grass is damp/wet or long. We tend
not to use the self-drive - the mower is alot lighter than an equiv.
petrol mower - and that makes the battery last a bit longer.

We had one battery fail in its guarantee period (2 years) and got a
replacement with no problem. Our garden has some rough areas and the mower
just about copes, though previous petrol mowers were more powerful.

Our "lawns" have a lot of moss and non-grass, so we tend not to cut low.
I'd think this would cope absolutely no problem with more standard lawns.

Old 13-09-2020, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi all

No real surprise that these things are now on the menu, but are
any real folks ditching the petrol models to get
these?

What is the likely life span of the batteries? Have they been
round long enough to know?

The area I have to cut is around 15m x 6m. Anyone like to
recommend a model suitable for this?

Thanks

Phil

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old 14-09-2020, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/09/2020 13:52, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

No real surprise that these things are now on the menu, but are
any real folks ditching the petrol models to get
these?

What is the likely life span of the batteries? Have they been
round long enough to know?

The area I have to cut is around 15m x 6m. Anyone like to
recommend a model suitable for this?

When my lawn was that size I used a mains mower.

I just googled, and the first one I recognised was a Makita 18V, 15 inch
with two 5Ah batteries at £280.

My old mains mower was 900W. at 18V 900W is 50A. Which means the
batteries would last 6 minutes each.

A similar size mains one from Bosch is £137.

Andy

Old 14-09-2020, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/09/2020 21:46, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 13/09/2020 13:52, thescullster wrote:
Hi all

No real surprise that these things are now on the menu, but are
Â* any real folks ditching the petrol models to get
Â* these?

What is the likely life span of the batteries? Have they been
Â* round long enough to know?

The area I have to cut is around 15m x 6m.Â* Anyone like to
Â* recommend a model suitable for this?

When my lawn was that size I used a mains mower.

I just googled, and the first one I recognised was a Makita 18V, 15 inch
with two 5Ah batteries at £280.

My old mains mower was 900W. at 18V 900W is 50A. Which means the
batteries would last 6 minutes each.

A similar size mains one from Bosch is £137.

Andy

Dont try to compair older batteries to the latest ones, my chainsaw will
work for almost an hour on one charge.
Mst of the well known morew makers now offer rechargable models

Old 15-09-2020, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

Dont try to compair older batteries to the latest ones, my chainsaw will
work for almost an hour on one charge.

My brushcutter with 2x 18V 5Ah batteries lasts longer than my back.
Old 15-09-2020, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

thescullster wrote:

No real surprise that these things are now on the menu, but are
any real folks ditching the petrol models to get
these?

What is the likely life span of the batteries? Have they been
round long enough to know?

The area I have to cut is around 15m x 6m. Anyone like to
recommend a model suitable for this?

I have had a Bosch Rotak 37 Li Ergoflex 36v for a couple of
years, and it has performed well so far.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Lithium-ion-Lawnmower-discountinued-manufacturer/dp/B0054E3C3O

This precise model is now discontinued, but there is a new one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Cordless-Lawnmower-battery-31-litre/dp/B06XPX9JYH/ref=sr_1_10

I had been happy mowing my lawns, with quite convoluted edges,
with a Rotak 34. Since I built a pergola in the middle of my back
garden I made my task rather more trying, and eventually went
cordless. No regrets.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 15-09-2020, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 13/09/2020 13:52, thescullster wrote:

No real surprise that these things are now on the menu, but are
any real folks ditching the petrol models to get
these?

The area I have to cut is around 15m x 6m. Anyone like to
recommend a model suitable for this?

When my lawn was that size I used a mains mower.

Quite. If you have mains power within 50 yards or so, they are by
far the simplest and most reliable solution. Petrol is overkill,
and often a pain in the arse when stored in a shed. My lawn is
over half as large again, and takes only a short time with my
Hayter 14".

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-09-2020, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

thescullster Wrote in message:
Hi allNo real surprise that these things are now on the menu, but are any real folks ditching the petrol models to get these?What is the likely life span of the batteries? Have they been round long enough to know?The area I have to cut is around 15m x 6m. Anyone like to recommend a model suitable for this?ThanksPhil-- ----Android NewsGroup Reader----http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I didn't want to suggest the cordless option and have er-indoors
get all excited, only to find out they are US.
She cuts the grass more often than I do.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/