GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/22590-dangers-weed-killers-glyphostae-aka-roundup-hidden-killer.html)

David P 30-05-2003 07:45 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In article ,
says...

But where are all these dead customers?

Take a look over the wall of your nearest cemetery. Eating is seriously
bad for you.

--
David
Visit

Tim Tyler 30-05-2003 08:08 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Michael Saunby wrote:

: Added to which it's possible eating imported blueberries is as likely to
: shorten life as prolong it [...]

A miniscule possibility IMO - blueberries are pretty good for you.

http://www.bcblueberry.com/health/ illustrates some of their virutes.

This is a vendor's page - but it references the studies it cites.
--
__________

Tim Tyler 30-05-2003 08:34 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes
:In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
:: Tim Tyler writes

::: And if you have conservationist views, you SHOULD do that.
::: All else is hypocrisy.
::
::My diet is the way it is for health reasons; conservationist issues
::enter into the picture only rather peripherally.
:
:: It would be interesting to know what ailment you suffer from, as your
:: diet doesn't seem to gell with anything I can think of.
:
:I have no idea what gives you the impression that I'm ill.

: A strange diet "for health reasons". Usually means some illness or
: other.

Well, not in my case. I'm interested in my health since I appreciate
being healthy - and want it to continue.

:: object mightily to the unreasonable strike on flying the fruit and veg
:: to them. [...]
:
:More likely the airline would quickly hire someone else with fewer
:environmental scruples.

: That's why environmentally minded people should do their stuff at every
: opportunity. 2M brits refusing to eat air miles WILL have a significant
: effect.

I'm sure they would - if they could be persuaded.

:: A chose to cause the death of C, remember?
:
:B caused the death of C - by pulling the trigger.
:
:A can only cause B to do something directly if he eliminates B's
:freedom of action - e.g. by drugging or hypnotizing him - otherwise
:B's actions are the result of B's choices.

: Bollox. You have a disturbed ethical viewpoint.

: One might as well say a president who told an aircraft to nuke london
: would not be primarily responsible for the deaths.

I think people should take responsibilty for their own actions.

Claiming that someone else instructed them is not a permitted excuse.

A president who told an aircraft to nuke London would be /involved/ in
the deaths. What would happen to him would depend on the respective
countries legal systems - and probably the outcome of their conflict.
--
__________

Tim Tyler 30-05-2003 08:34 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes
:In uk.rec.gardening Jim Webster wrote:
:
:: just stop the pollution in the first place. ban the flying of fruit.
:: If it cannot survive by sea then tough
:
:I don't think that is a realistic goal, though.

: It's a perfectly achievable aim, though.

:: lot easier than trying to undo the damage the plane did in the first place
:
:Indeed - but you can't ground the world's planes without a pretty
:convincing case.

: Ahh, so environmental concern is fine, just so long as it doesn't bother
: the consumer. [...]

I said nothing of the sort.

I doubt whether banning the flying of fruit will happen.

It seems like an extremely unlikely scenario to me.

Is there anyone seriously trying to achive this?

If so, what is their action plan?
--
__________

Tim Tyler 30-05-2003 08:46 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Michael Saunby wrote:
: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
: In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:

: Try it this way Tim. If the plane were pilot less. Not true today, but
: far from impossible. Same for the warehouse, the supermarket, even the
: farm. All done with machines. In such a situation presumably only God can
: be blamed for the whole mess - certainly not the consumer.

A ridiculous argument.

: Grow up and learn to see yourself as others see you. You're a self centred
: hypocrite Tim.

Thanks :-|

: Worse still you peculiar diet isn't likely to let you live
: a longer and healthier life. [...]

The scientific evidence is against you there.
--
__________

Tim Tyler 30-05-2003 08:46 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening T N Nurse wrote:
: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...

: :If A pays B to shoot C, who should be imprisoned for C's murder?
:
: : A and B, in all courts of law I know of.
:
: You suprise me - A has committed no murder.

: However, A has *commisioned* the murder which, in law, makes
: him as guilty as B who has commited the killing act.

Guilt in the legal system is binary.

Consequently even someone caught shoplifting is "as guilty" as the murderer.

However the crimes and sentences may differ.
--
__________

Tim Tyler 30-05-2003 08:46 PM

In uk.rec.gardening BAC wrote:
: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...

: A can only cause B to do something directly if he eliminates B's
: freedom of action - e.g. by drugging or hypnotizing him - otherwise
: B's actions are the result of B's choices.

: So who was responsible for the killing of Charles 1, Cromwell and the
: co-signatories of the death warrant, or the executioner who did the
: deed (history seems to blame Cromwell)?

I don't know. Did the executioner act freely?

Generally speaking I would blame whoever *commits* the act of violence -
rather than anyone who told them to do it - or paid them to do it.
--
__________

Tim Tyler 30-05-2003 09:08 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Jim Webster wrote:
: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
: In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:

: : Indeed he could. Then the consumer would complain about free trade and
: : object mightily to the unreasonable strike on flying the fruit and veg
: : to them. [...]
:
: More likely the airline would quickly hire someone else with fewer
: environmental scruples.
:
: : This doesn't mean the pilot is a cause of the shipping, any more than
: : the aeroplane is a cause.
:
: The airplane has no volition - and can't initiate things by itself.
:
: The pilot however can. He is not even permitting harm to happen by
: inaction. He actions are the most direct and immediate cause of the
: pollution.

: I have seen some wriggling but that takes some beating. So if consumers
: stopped buying imported fruit airlines and supermarkets would still persist
: in importing the stuff and stacking it up to rot in stores in an attempt to
: shame people into buying it?

Of course they would not.
--
__________

Oz 30-05-2003 09:09 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

Tim Tyler writes
In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:

: A strange diet "for health reasons". Usually means some illness or
: other.

Well, not in my case. I'm interested in my health since I appreciate
being healthy - and want it to continue.

In that case I would describe your diet as paranoid.

: That's why environmentally minded people should do their stuff at every
: opportunity. 2M brits refusing to eat air miles WILL have a significant
: effect.

I'm sure they would - if they could be persuaded.

Starting with you.

:: A chose to cause the death of C, remember?
:
:B caused the death of C - by pulling the trigger.
:
:A can only cause B to do something directly if he eliminates B's
:freedom of action - e.g. by drugging or hypnotizing him - otherwise
:B's actions are the result of B's choices.

: Bollox. You have a disturbed ethical viewpoint.

: One might as well say a president who told an aircraft to nuke london
: would not be primarily responsible for the deaths.

I think people should take responsibilty for their own actions.

Quite. The action is that of causing someone's death.

Claiming that someone else instructed them is not a permitted excuse.

A president who told an aircraft to nuke London would be /involved/ in
the deaths.

He would, be considered to be primarily responsible by pretty well
everyone on the planet. After all, if he hadn't given the order then
london wouldn't have been nuked.

What would happen to him would depend on the respective
countries legal systems - and probably the outcome of their conflict.

Maybe. I was discussing the ethics though.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Oz 30-05-2003 09:09 PM

: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
: In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:

: Try it this way Tim. If the plane were pilot less. Not true today, but
: far from impossible. Same for the warehouse, the supermarket, even the
: farm. All done with machines. In such a situation presumably only God can
: be blamed for the whole mess - certainly not the consumer.

A ridiculous argument.

Actually a very good one.
So good you can't answer it.

: Worse still you peculiar diet isn't likely to let you live
: a longer and healthier life. [...]

The scientific evidence is against you there.

So how big an experiment on humans on this diet has been completed for
their lifetime and what was the result?

Oz 30-05-2003 09:09 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

Tim Tyler writes

Generally speaking I would blame whoever *commits* the act of violence -
rather than anyone who told them to do it - or paid them to do it.

So it's fine by you if I speak to some of my east end pals and have you
beaten up?

OK.

Fine.

Oz 30-05-2003 09:09 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

Tim Tyler writes

I said nothing of the sort.

I doubt whether banning the flying of fruit will happen.

sigh

Are you actually that stupid, or just pretending to be?

Every consumer who refuses to buy airfreighted produce reduces pollution
by (in personal terms) a significant amount.

By buying it he increases pollution.

Is there anyone seriously trying to achive this?

Yes. There are quite a few groups trying to persuade people not to buy
airfreighted goods. Many of the CO2 and green groups.

If so, what is their action plan?

Explain to people why it causes pollution and that refusing to buy it
reduces pollution. Mind you a certain level of knowledge and lack of
bigotry helps.

Oz 30-05-2003 09:09 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

Tim Tyler writes

http://www.bcblueberry.com/health/ illustrates some of their virutes.

This is a vendor's page -

Yeah, right, advertising.
One born every minute, they say.

but it references the studies it cites.

Have you read them all?
Do you understand them?
Have you diligently looked for papers contradicting them?

Tim Tyler 30-05-2003 09:09 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Michael Saunby wrote:
: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
: In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:

: : Ultimately the consumer is the polluter.
:
: : If they did not demand and buy the things that have caused the
: : pollution, then they would never have been made and the pollution
: : would never have happened.
:
: The consumer just wants the fruit.

: So why be so fussy about the type?

The type?

: Why do you have the right to eat fuit out of season?

I don't regard it as my right. If the governmemt were to intervene,
I won't go to the European court of human rights in my defense.

: Most of the world's population only have very limited access to
: luxuries such as imported fruit. What do you contribute to the
: globe that makes you so important?

We could get into the details of my vocation, employment and virtues -
but I fear it would take this thread far off topic.
--
__________

Michael Saunby 30-05-2003 09:21 PM

: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message

: In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:

: Try it this way Tim. If the plane were pilot less. Not true today,

but
: far from impossible. Same for the warehouse, the supermarket, even the
: farm. All done with machines. In such a situation presumably only God

can
: be blamed for the whole mess - certainly not the consumer.

A ridiculous argument.

Why? In most normal parts of the world, i.e. where more than 80% of the
global population live, over half the workforce are involved in farming.
Where you live only a couple of percent of the population are involved
directly in agriculture; so you see you're already very close to the
situation where you can no longer blame other people's greed for damage
done to the environment - since much of it is done by machines, and what is
grown and how is determined largely by government regulation and contracts
from the large buyers - i.e. supermarkets. Our government is democratic and
our supermarkets are customer focused. So clearly it's actually your
greed, and that of other like you, who determined what the agricultural
machines does, and how.

As for your health; you don't need to indulge in daft North American fads
such as blueberries. No doubt another unfortunate consequence of the
madness that is the Internet. There are plenty of people in the UK and
other parts of Europe that have lived long and healthy lives eating food
produced locally. It would actually make more sense if you really feel you
must live this way to do as people used to do if they fancied a different
way of life - move to where that life is lived, rather than importing it.

: Grow up and learn to see yourself as others see you. You're a self

centred
: hypocrite Tim.

Thanks :-|

Not at all. Until such time as you can see who you are, you clearly must
depend on the kindness of others to help you a least glimpse what others
see in you.

: Worse still you peculiar diet isn't likely to let you live
: a longer and healthier life. [...]

The scientific evidence is against you there.

The scientific evidence is largely to do with genes. You may well live
longer than your parents, but not much longer. Of course experimenting
with a dramatically different diet could change things for you, but in
which direction is anybody's guess.

Michael Saunby