GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/22590-dangers-weed-killers-glyphostae-aka-roundup-hidden-killer.html)

Michelle Fulton 31-05-2003 06:56 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

Madame, your summing up of his logical position was, in a gender

unspecific
way, masterly

I agree. Getting to be a force to reckon with, I think.

Now, *that's* a compliment!

walks away, with head held high ;-)

Michael Saunby 31-05-2003 08:08 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Oz" wrote in message
Tim Tyler writes

Having a healthy diet simply isn't as stressful as you are making out.

The way you have been putting it, I wouldn;t agree.

For nearly everybody keeping one's weight to 70% of the 'ideal' weight
results in permanent hunger. I've seen the horizon programme where
people had been doing it for a little while (like a few years).

They all showed marked stress, not hard to figure out why.

Rather as vegetarians often make the (honest) claim that a meat free diet
improves athletic performance. Of course it does, it does the same for
almost all carnivores, because when they haven't eaten meat for a while
catching prey can be a matter of life of death. It doesn't mean that it's
actually good for your body to feel it's on the verge of pursuing and
killing something all the time - particularly if it never happens.

Michael Saunby

Robert Seago 31-05-2003 09:45 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In article ,
BAC wrote:

We all think we know best, but governments have to take all of our views
into consideration.

'Have to'? Only when it suits them!

Let's say that they do have people with conflicting views to consider.

--
Regards from Robert Seago : http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rjseago

Oz 31-05-2003 09:45 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

Michelle Fulton writes
"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

Madame, your summing up of his logical position was, in a gender

unspecific
way, masterly

I agree. Getting to be a force to reckon with, I think.

Now, *that's* a compliment!

walks away, with head held high ;-)

Justly deserved, too.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Jim Webster 31-05-2003 10:56 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Michelle Fulton" wrote in message
. ..
"Oz" wrote in message
Jim Webster writes

Madame, your summing up of his logical position was, in a gender

unspecific
way, masterly

I agree. Getting to be a force to reckon with, I think.

Now, *that's* a compliment!

walks away, with head held high ;-)

bangs bridge of nose on low door

:-))
Jim Webster

Michelle Fulton 31-05-2003 11:20 PM

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

bangs bridge of nose on low door

LOL :-)) Pride comes before the fall, doesn't it? Fortunately, I'm pretty
short, so I don't have to worry about the doors ;-)

Jill 31-05-2003 11:20 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Michelle Fulton" wrote in message
.. .
"Jim Webster" wrote in message

bangs bridge of nose on low door

LOL :-)) Pride comes before the fall, doesn't it? Fortunately, I'm

pretty
short, so I don't have to worry about the doors ;-)

depends on the height of the doors:~))
I would hazard a guess that both Jim and we share some similarly lowly doors
that certainly would not pass any building warrant these days
both having houses of similar build and ages - v. thick stone walls and a
long time ago
??
We have always said that this house was built for us - both being under 5'6"
anyone taller hits their head at least once a day

--
Jill Bowis

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk
http://www.domesticducks.co.uk http://www.poultry-books.co.uk
http://www.kintaline.co.uk/cottage

Jim Webster 01-06-2003 10:08 AM

"Jill" wrote in message

"Michelle Fulton" wrote in message
.. .
"Jim Webster" wrote in message

bangs bridge of nose on low door

LOL :-)) Pride comes before the fall, doesn't it? Fortunately, I'm

pretty
short, so I don't have to worry about the doors ;-)

depends on the height of the doors:~))
I would hazard a guess that both Jim and we share some similarly lowly

doors
that certainly would not pass any building warrant these days
both having houses of similar build and ages - v. thick stone walls and a
long time ago
??

yes, we have very few ceilings with more than 6'6" clearance on the beams
and one door is no more than 5' high

walls are thick enough to set kitchen unit into

Jim Webster

Michael Saunby 01-06-2003 12:32 PM

"Jill" wrote in message

"Michelle Fulton" wrote in message
.. .
"Jim Webster" wrote in message

bangs bridge of nose on low door

LOL :-)) Pride comes before the fall, doesn't it? Fortunately, I'm

pretty
short, so I don't have to worry about the doors ;-)

depends on the height of the doors:~))
I would hazard a guess that both Jim and we share some similarly lowly

doors
that certainly would not pass any building warrant these days
both having houses of similar build and ages - v. thick stone walls and a
long time ago
??
We have always said that this house was built for us - both being under

5'6"
anyone taller hits their head at least once a day

My lowest doorway - into the best room - is 5'7". I'm led to believe that
such doorways were sometimes used to force people to stop before entering
since it's hard to barge in. Similar to many traditional buildings in all
parts of the world, and other customs such as removing shoes. Yet another
of those areas where being civilised and government regulations are in
conflict.

Fortunately listed buildings are now allowed to use non standard door
heights even for new doorways. So at least it's possible for the remaining
civilised buildings to remain so.

Michael Saunby

Malcolm 01-06-2003 09:20 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 12:22:05 +0100, "Michael Saunby"
wrote:

"Jill" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

That height would be no restriction to a hunchback or a poison dwarf
michael, so you're OK. Might stop me jack booting my way in, hhhmmmmm
might need to design a horizontal approach then.... I think I have
some old pram wheels and a little mdf about..
--

So, you dont like reasoned,
well thought out, civil debate?

I understand.

/´¯/)
/¯../
/..../
/´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
/'/.../..../......./¨¯\
('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
\.................'...../
''...\.......... _.·´
\..............(
\.............\..

BAC 02-06-2003 09:59 AM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes
:Jim Webster wrote or quoted:

snip

: Paying someone else to kill a third party sounds like an action to be
: held responsible for to me.

Whereas to me the only thing that distinguishes it from a gift is
words - and convicting people on the basis of things they have said
seems like a dangerous violation of freedom of speech to me.

So, in your view, was King Henry innocent in respect of Becket's murder? He
didn't physically do the deed, but he incited his henchmen to do it.

BAC 02-06-2003 09:59 AM

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Michael Saunby wrote:
: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message

: In uk.rec.gardening Michael Saunby wrote:

: : But your thinking, that it is only the person who does the final

(or
: : initial in the case of farming) act is the only one to blame silly.
:
: I'm not sure that's a sentence.
:
: Anyway, contrary to what you seem to be saying above, I certainly

don't
: think there should be any blame attached to growing and selling

crops.

: Even when using pesticides?

Well - /if/ they poison people that's a bit different.

they didn't poison anyone, the pesticide did. Anyway it was all the fault

of
the manufacturer.

Surely, the poison was self administered?

BAC 02-06-2003 09:59 AM

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Michael Saunby wrote:
: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
: Jim Webster wrote or quoted:

: : Who was it who said that freedom of speech did not entitle you to

shout
: : "fire" in a crowded theatre
:
: Many people - but "freedom of speech" fairly clearly involves just

that.
:
: Fortunately, that particular action is not against the law anywhere -
: AFAIK. You might get chucked out of the theatre, though ;-)

: Oh yes it is a crime.

?

: It's very unusual for an individual to be able to harm people and not
: be found guilty of something. I'm pretty sure anyone doing so would be
: held responsible for all deaths, injuries, damage to property, etc.

What deaths and injuries? Shout "fire" in a crowded theatre and
the most likely result is a few people "shussh"ing you.

However, if a panic ensued, and people were killed or injured as a
consequence of your action?

BAC 02-06-2003 09:59 AM

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Michael Saunby wrote:
: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...

snip

Lying is - for the most part - permitted and tolerated by the legal
system -

Interesting viewpoint. Have you some examples of situations where lying is
knowingly permitted and tolerated by the Courts?

BAC 02-06-2003 09:59 AM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Michelle Fulton" wrote in message
. ..
"Michael Saunby" wrote in message

Hardly, the manufacturer simply made what the researchers had

developed -
and you can't blame them either because they allowed a government

ministry
to have the final say, and they only did what the minister told them to

do,
and he has appointed by the government, who were in turn given power by

the
voters. It isn't fair to blame the voters either, since so many people
didn't vote, their not voting almost certainly affected the outcome of

the
election. So I blame the lazy shits who didn't vote at recent general
elections - if indeed anyone has been poisoned.

I think we should blame the idiots who eat something that is poisonous.
They are the ones who are taking the *action* that actually causes them to
be poisoned ;-) The government, manufacturer, supermarket and everyone
else involved are only guilty of telling the public it's safe, right? The
person who acts on what someone else said is the one at fault, according

Tim, right????

Possibly, if they know it is poisonous prior to eating it. I don't think
Michael is right to blame voter apathy for shortcomings in Govt. policy,
either, since there is nothing to suggest the political parties' policies
would have been any different had there been 100% voter turnout.