GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/22590-dangers-weed-killers-glyphostae-aka-roundup-hidden-killer.html)

Michael Saunby 30-05-2003 09:21 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Michael Saunby wrote:
: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message

: In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:

: : Ultimately the consumer is the polluter.
:
: : If they did not demand and buy the things that have caused the
: : pollution, then they would never have been made and the pollution
: : would never have happened.
:
: The consumer just wants the fruit.

: So why be so fussy about the type?

The type?

Why an imported fruit? What's wrong with the fruit produced by your local
producers?

: Why do you have the right to eat fuit out of season?

I don't regard it as my right. If the governmemt were to intervene,
I won't go to the European court of human rights in my defense.

Why should they have to intervene? Can't you simply accept that you could
get perfectly good food without relying on environmentally harmful imports?

: Most of the world's population only have very limited access to
: luxuries such as imported fruit. What do you contribute to the
: globe that makes you so important?

We could get into the details of my vocation, employment and virtues -
but I fear it would take this thread far off topic.

And that's not the point. I'm simply saying that you don't need this
stuff. You are using your extreme wealth (and those of us in the West
control nearly all the world's wealth) in an inappropriate way. You're
acting irresponsibly, yet you just don't seem to see it. All this from a
man who has an obsession with the very little harm that other folks use of
pesticides is likely to do to him.

Michael Saunby

Michael Saunby 30-05-2003 09:56 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Oz" wrote in message
Tim Tyler writes

I said nothing of the sort.

I doubt whether banning the flying of fruit will happen.

sigh

Are you actually that stupid, or just pretending to be?

Every consumer who refuses to buy airfreighted produce reduces pollution
by (in personal terms) a significant amount.

Not only that - they'll get to bring more goodies home from their holidays
since most such freight is actually carried on passenger aircraft,
especially package tours. So in a sense the transport is free since the
aircraft would be making the trip anyway, and most of the countries that
these trips are to don't produce much other than agricultural produce.
Even so - Tim hasn't used mentioned this in his defence, so it seems it's
yet another aspect of 21st century life that he hasn't grasped.

By buying it he increases pollution.

Is there anyone seriously trying to achive this?

Yes. There are quite a few groups trying to persuade people not to buy
airfreighted goods. Many of the CO2 and green groups.

e.g. http://www.sustainweb.org
http://www.foe.co.uk/campaigns/real_.../unfair_trade/

The search term "food mile" which is the term green groups use, brings up
almost 4,000 hits on Google. Yet Tim isn't aware of this issue? It seems
he's not involved in any environmental group at all, has little knowledge
of current concerns, other than some stuff about pesticides, and then only
because it impacts a little on his odd diet. Talk about self obsessed!

If so, what is their action plan?

Explain to people why it causes pollution and that refusing to buy it
reduces pollution. Mind you a certain level of knowledge and lack of
bigotry helps.

But where would you start? "This is a seed...."

Michael Saunby

Jim Webster 30-05-2003 10:45 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening BAC wrote:
: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...

: A can only cause B to do something directly if he eliminates B's
: freedom of action - e.g. by drugging or hypnotizing him - otherwise
: B's actions are the result of B's choices.

: So who was responsible for the killing of Charles 1, Cromwell and the
: co-signatories of the death warrant, or the executioner who did the
: deed (history seems to blame Cromwell)?

I don't know. Did the executioner act freely?

Generally speaking I would blame whoever *commits* the act of violence -
rather than anyone who told them to do it - or paid them to do it.

you attitude is at odds with English law

Jim Webster
--
__________

Jim Webster 30-05-2003 10:45 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes
:In uk.rec.gardening Jim Webster wrote:
:
:: just stop the pollution in the first place. ban the flying of fruit.
:: If it cannot survive by sea then tough
:
:I don't think that is a realistic goal, though.

: It's a perfectly achievable aim, though.

:: lot easier than trying to undo the damage the plane did in the first

place
:
:Indeed - but you can't ground the world's planes without a pretty
:convincing case.

: Ahh, so environmental concern is fine, just so long as it doesn't bother
: the consumer. [...]

I said nothing of the sort.

I doubt whether banning the flying of fruit will happen.

only because some immoral fat cats would not like to be inconvenienced

Jim Webster

Peter Duncanson 30-05-2003 10:45 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

On Fri, 30 May 2003 19:41:05 +0100, David P wrote:

In article ,
says...

But where are all these dead customers?

Take a look over the wall of your nearest cemetery. Eating is seriously
bad for you.

Yes, but not eating is much worse.
On the other hand, deceased anorexics do take up less space in cemeteries.

--
Peter Duncanson
UK

David Hartley 30-05-2003 11:20 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In article , Oz
writes
We have had barn owls sporadically for years.
At least one pair bred, unfortunately two fledgelings drowned in water
troughs (one of ours, one of neighbours).

I haven't seen or heard a barn owl for years, but we have had little
owls nesting in one of our barns for four years now. I've been able to
hear the cries of this year's chicks in the last few days.
Sadly, here too, two of last year's fledgelings drowned in the trough in
the yard. I've got that covered now, (there being no cattle in the yard
at the moment). However, there's another trough on the other side of the
barn which is equally dangerous but I can't cover as it's used by the
cattle in the adjacent field. Has anyone any suggestions on how to make
it safe for owls?

I vaguely recall seeing somewhere troughs with slabs of something like
polystyrene floating in them. The idea perhaps being that the cattle
could push them down enough to be able to drink but they would take the
weight of a bird. Now I think about it, I suspect the original reason
was more likely to keep the light out to stop the growth of algae, but
that doesn't mean they can't protect birds too. Does anyone know about
this?
--
David Hartley

Christina Websell 30-05-2003 11:21 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

David Hartley wrote in message
In article , Oz
writes
However, there's another trough on the other side of the
barn which is equally dangerous but I can't cover as it's used by the
cattle in the adjacent field. Has anyone any suggestions on how to make
it safe for owls?

Make some steps in the trough at one end, using housebricks.

Tina

Hämisch Macbeth 30-05-2003 11:21 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

"Jim Webster" wrote in message
the way that Tim is going to avoid consumers taking any responsibility, he
will doubtless blame the guy who made the axe

No it was the farmer that grew the tree that became the block.

Oz 30-05-2003 11:44 PM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

Peter Duncanson writes

!

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Jim Webster 31-05-2003 08:56 AM

"Hämisch Macbeth" wrote in message

"Jim Webster" wrote in message
the way that Tim is going to avoid consumers taking any responsibility,

he
will doubtless blame the guy who made the axe

No it was the farmer that grew the tree that became the block.

it were god wot dun it!

If he hadn't lit the fuse that started the big bang then none of it would
have happened

Jim Webster

Tim Tyler 31-05-2003 08:56 AM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes

:I said nothing of the sort.
:
:I doubt whether banning the flying of fruit will happen.

: sigh

: Are you actually that stupid, or just pretending to be?

I was replying to the suggestion of:

``just stop the pollution in the first place. ban the flying of fruit.
If it cannot survive by sea then tough''

Of course, you have to snip this context out before making your comments.

:Is there anyone seriously trying to achive this?

: Yes. There are quite a few groups trying to persuade people not to buy
: airfreighted goods. Many of the CO2 and green groups.

:If so, what is their action plan?

: Explain to people why it causes pollution and that refusing to buy it
: reduces pollution. [...]

I doubt that will be effective.

It's a tragedy of the commons situation - people can gain the benefits
individually - and even anonymously - while the cost is shared globally.

I think attempts to deal with the problem should attempt to rearrange
it so the costs are paid by the consumer.
--
__________

Tim Tyler 31-05-2003 08:56 AM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes

:http://www.bcblueberry.com/health/ illustrates some of their virutes.
:
:This is a vendor's page -

: Yeah, right, advertising.
: One born every minute, they say.

:but it references the studies it cites.

: Have you read them all?
: Do you understand them?
: Have you diligently looked for papers contradicting them?

I have a fair understanding of blueberry nutrition.

The first point made is normally regarded as not technically correct -
with wolfberries coming first (among fruit) in terms of ORAC/gram -
and strawberries coming first in ORAC/calorie. However blueberries
are still fine anti-oxidant fruit.

I've looked at a good number of studies of blueberries.

Here's the blueberry/spinach study, for example:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

There are a fairly large number of studies of blueberries easily
available online - you might like to try finding a negative one yourself.
--
__________

Tim Tyler 31-05-2003 08:56 AM

: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
: In uk.rec.gardening Michael Saunby wrote:
: : "Tim Tyler" wrote in message
: ...
: : In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:

: : : Ultimately the consumer is the polluter.
: :
: : : If they did not demand and buy the things that have caused the
: : : pollution, then they would never have been made and the pollution
: : : would never have happened.
: :
: : The consumer just wants the fruit.
:
: : So why be so fussy about the type?
:
: The type?

: Why an imported fruit? What's wrong with the fruit produced by your local
: producers?

That would probably not be too bad - if it was available all year
round - but it isn't.

Much fruit is seasonal in nature - and the expense of fooling plants
that the seasons are different by growing them in controlled environments
is (presubably) even greater than the cost of importing their produce.

My consumption of imported blueberries would probably drop dramatically
if I could locate a reasonable vendor of UK frozen blueberries.

I eat many frozen berry fruit, and would love to add blueberries to
my menu.

Unfortunately it seems this market currently has zero vendors in it.

: : Why do you have the right to eat fuit out of season?
:
: I don't regard it as my right. If the governmemt were to intervene,
: I won't go to the European court of human rights in my defense.

: Why should they have to intervene?

They don't have to intervene. Indeed they don't intervene.

: Can't you simply accept that you could get perfectly good food without
: relying on environmentally harmful imports?

There would be many foods that were unavailable if food was not
imported - including some very useful ones.

: : Most of the world's population only have very limited access to
: : luxuries such as imported fruit. What do you contribute to the
: : globe that makes you so important?
:
: We could get into the details of my vocation, employment and virtues -
: but I fear it would take this thread far off topic.

: And that's not the point. I'm simply saying that you don't need this
: stuff. You are using your extreme wealth (and those of us in the West
: control nearly all the world's wealth) in an inappropriate way. You're
: acting irresponsibly, yet you just don't seem to see it. [...]

I acknowledge the environmental impact of importing (e.g.) blueberries.

What I don't have is a reasonable alternative to doing it.

I've previously considered refraining from sponsoring imported
blueberries - and it's not currently an attractive option for me.
--
__________

Tim Tyler 31-05-2003 08:56 AM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes
:In uk.rec.gardening Michael Saunby wrote:
:: "Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
:: In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:

:: Try it this way Tim. If the plane were pilot less. Not true today, but
:: far from impossible. Same for the warehouse, the supermarket, even the
:: farm. All done with machines. In such a situation presumably only God
:: can be blamed for the whole mess - certainly not the consumer.
:
:A ridiculous argument.

: Actually a very good one. So good you can't answer it.

I've already pointed out that aninimate objects have no freedom, and can't
be held responsible for their actions.

The step of "blaming god" is illogical, and without justification.

Actually, it appears to me the original author is making no attempt at
making a serious argument - rather he's poking fun at what he sees as
my unwillingness to blame consumers for the act of purchasing things.

:: Worse still you peculiar diet isn't likely to let you live
:: a longer and healthier life. [...]
:
:The scientific evidence is against you there.

: So how big an experiment on humans on this diet has been completed for
: their lifetime and what was the result?

No lifetime studies in humans.

The results come from other animals - and from non-lifespan studies in man.

http://www.calorierestriction.org/ (and its resources) explains the
situation regarding the scientific evidence relating to dietary
interventions and human aging.
--
__________

Tim Tyler 31-05-2003 08:56 AM

The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes

:Generally speaking I would blame whoever *commits* the act of violence -
:rather than anyone who told them to do it - or paid them to do it.

: So it's fine by you if I speak to some of my east end pals and have you
: beaten up?

: OK.

: Fine.

I would regard them as being responsible for any resulting injuries -
if that's what you meant to ask.
--