Old 20-05-2003, 10:44 PM
shannie

Default Japanese Maple

I planted a Japanese Maple last spring, it was about 4' tall, in an East
facing front garden not terribly well sheltered by northern winds, sun in
the morning shade in the afternoon, but I've a feeling this was all wrong
The leaves are speckled white and ragged. Question is can I move it at
this time or wait till later in the year, and would it prefer a container to
the garden?

Thanks again

--

Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

Old 20-05-2003, 10:56 PM
bnd777

Needs a sheltered semi shaded spot either in tub or in the ground
If you put it in a tub then ensure that you cover the soil with planting
membrane and cover with gravel to prevent Vine weevils getting in

Old 21-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Zizz

"shannie" wrote in message

I planted a Japanese Maple last spring, it was about 4' tall, in an East
facing front garden not terribly well sheltered by northern winds, sun in
the morning shade in the afternoon, but I've a feeling this was all wrong
The leaves are speckled white and ragged. Question is can I move it

at
this time or wait till later in the year, and would it prefer a container

the garden?

Thanks again

--

Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

Best time to move any plant is when it's at it's most dormant, I'd suggest
autumn would be better to move the maple.
In the meantime you could try putting a bit of screening (if possible) up to
provide a bit of shelter for it.

Old 25-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Hussein M.

On Tue, 20 May 2003 22:35:27 +0100, "shannie" wrote:

I planted a Japanese Maple last spring, it was about 4' tall, in an East
facing front garden not terribly well sheltered by northern winds, sun in
the morning shade in the afternoon, but I've a feeling this was all wrong
The leaves are speckled white and ragged. Question is can I move it at
this time or wait till later in the year, and would it prefer a container to
the garden?

Hi,

Mine looked the way you describe for a year or two after it was planted (same height as
yours too). There is no trace of the whitening you describe this year though and the
plant is luxuriant. It's a dissectum which I suppose is one of the more fragile ones.

If you like yours where it is then you could give it another year to see if it recovers as
mine did. I think in their earlier years (after transplanting) they hate their roots to
get dried out in the summer and I think that's why mine had such a hard time.

Regards and good luck

Huss
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.
Old 26-05-2003, 12:32 AM
shannie

"Hussein M." wrote in message
The leaves are speckled white and ragged. Question is can I move it at
this time or wait till later in the year, and would it prefer a container

the garden?

Hi,

Mine looked the way you describe for a year or two after it was planted

(same height as
yours too). There is no trace of the whitening you describe this year

though and the
plant is luxuriant. It's a dissectum which I suppose is one of the more

fragile ones.

If you like yours where it is then you could give it another year to see

if it recovers as
mine did. I think in their earlier years (after transplanting) they hate

their roots to
get dried out in the summer and I think that's why mine had such a hard

time.

Ahhh...that my have been the problem had some health probs last year and
things like watering were very sporadic. I do like it where I have it,
another poster suggested some form of screen too...Im redoing the whole
front garden come autumn and would like to leave it, so will probably put a
shrub on it's northerly side to screen it somewhat. I'll give it lots of tlc
and water this summer see how it goes

Regards and good luck

Huss
Grow a little garden

Thanks again
Shan

Old 26-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Hussein M.

On Mon, 26 May 2003 00:28:13 +0100, "shannie" wrote:

If you like yours where it is then you could give it another year to see

if it recovers as
mine did. I think in their earlier years (after transplanting) they hate

their roots to
get dried out in the summer and I think that's why mine had such a hard

time.

Ahhh...that my have been the problem had some health probs last year and
things like watering were very sporadic. I do like it where I have it,
another poster suggested some form of screen too...Im redoing the whole
front garden come autumn and would like to leave it, so will probably put a
shrub on it's northerly side to screen it somewhat. I'll give it lots of tlc
and water this summer see how it goes

Which Acer is it by the way?

H.

Old 26-05-2003, 08:20 PM
shannie

"Hussein M." wrote in message

Which Acer is it by the way?

H.
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.

Acer palmatum
'Bloodgood'
Bought it originally to put in a large terracotta pot, unfortunately the pot
was smashed by a slither and it ended up in the garden, now I rather like it
there.

Old 27-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Hussein M.

On Mon, 26 May 2003 20:17:53 +0100, "shannie" wrote:

"Hussein M." wrote in message
.. .

Which Acer is it by the way?

Acer palmatum
'Bloodgood'
Bought it originally to put in a large terracotta pot, unfortunately the pot
was smashed by a slither and it ended up in the garden, now I rather like it
there.

There you are. All you need is an under planting of Mind your Own
Business and you have your Japanese bit!

Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
shannie

"Hussein M." wrote in message
On Mon, 26 May 2003 20:17:53 +0100, "shannie" wrote:

"Hussein M." wrote in message
.. .

Which Acer is it by the way?

Acer palmatum
'Bloodgood'
Bought it originally to put in a large terracotta pot, unfortunately the

pot
was smashed by a slither and it ended up in the garden, now I rather like

it
there.

There you are. All you need is an under planting of Mind your Own
Business and you have your Japanese bit!

Huss

lol...It's underplanted with periwinkle, looks rather nice when the leaves
behave themselves and heuchera behind it set it off nicely, I really do like
it and am pleased that yours has righted itself, possibly mine will
too...you've given me some hope at least

Shan

Old 31-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Hussein M.

On Thu, 29 May 2003 00:29:03 +0100, "shannie" wrote:

There you are. All you need is an under planting of Mind your Own
Business and you have your Japanese bit!

Huss

lol...It's underplanted with periwinkle, looks rather nice when the leaves
behave themselves and heuchera behind it set it off nicely, I really do like
it and am pleased that yours has righted itself, possibly mine will
too...you've given me some hope at least

It seems we like the same plants. Have you seen Vinca difformis. It's a
very pretty paler and mauver blue and is interesting in combination with
the commoner major and minor. It is also very tidy in habit and when it
sends out layering shoots, roots tidily into separate clumps.

I am a great fan of heucheras too. Such good value.

Regards

Hussein

Old 03-06-2003, 11:21 PM
shannie

"Hussein M." wrote in message
On Thu, 29 May 2003 00:29:03 +0100, "shannie" wrote:

There you are. All you need is an under planting of Mind your Own
Business and you have your Japanese bit!

Huss

lol...It's underplanted with periwinkle, looks rather nice when the

leaves
behave themselves and heuchera behind it set it off nicely, I really do

like
it and am pleased that yours has righted itself, possibly mine will
too...you've given me some hope at least

It seems we like the same plants.

It would seem so.

Have you seen Vinca difformis. It's a
very pretty paler and mauver blue and is interesting in combination with
the commoner major and minor. It is also very tidy in habit and when it
sends out layering shoots, roots tidily into separate clumps.

You know, I think I have!...never knew what it was tho, or if it was just a
minor gone zany!...will look out for that at the gc thanks

I am a great fan of heucheras too. Such good value.

Agreed!...and such wonderful scent from such tiny flowers too, I think I
have about 35 from an original 10 planted a few years ago, I love
freebies!!..lol

Shan