Old 01-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Serenity

Default erm err how can i phrase this?

Doggie doings?
Faecal matter?

Dog poo, that'll do.

Part of my garden had been used as a dog yard, with the attendant mess.
Once all the poo is cleared up, how can I treat the soil to make it safe for
kids (lawn will be planted too.) And how long before it is safe?
Many thanks,
Serenity

Old 01-06-2003, 03:08 PM
ned

Serenity wrote:
Doggie doings?
Faecal matter?

Dog poo, that'll do.

Part of my garden had been used as a dog yard, with the attendant
mess. Once all the poo is cleared up, how can I treat the soil to
make it safe for kids (lawn will be planted too.) And how long

before
it is safe? Many thanks,
Serenity

I am renowned for playing down the concerns that you have.
There, I've said it.
By the time that your lawn is mature (safe for kids to play on)
bacteriological acion will have done its thing with whatever lurking
dangers the dogs have left behind
............. and the birds and worms and insects and hedgehogs and all
God's creatures will have visited and left you with a completely new
hazard zone.

Don't get paranoid.
It's part of life's rich pattern.

--
ned

Old 01-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Drakanthus

Doggie doings?
Faecal matter?

Dog poo, that'll do.

Part of my garden had been used as a dog yard, with the attendant mess.
Once all the poo is cleared up, how can I treat the soil to make it safe

for
kids (lawn will be planted too.) And how long before it is safe?
Many thanks,
Serenity

You just need to worm your dogs regularly and keep an eye open for any such
parasites while cleaning up after them. Prevention is better than cure.
We had a lawn but our three dogs made a serious mess of it. Difficult to
clean any sloppy poo on grass as well. In the end I ripped the lawn out and
replaced it with gravel. Much easier to keep clean. It looks better than dog
spoiled grass too.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 02-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Charlie

I've had two dogs all my life and played on the grass where they did their
"business" (after it had been cleaned up) and it clearly never killed me.
I'd stop worrying so much personally.

Charlie.

"Serenity" serenity@nospamserenitynyespam off.fslife.co.uk wrote in
message ...

Old 03-06-2003, 01:20 AM
David Hill

"... Doggie doings? Faecal matter? Dog poo, that'll do..

Well in my youth, in the dim and distant past we just called it Dog mess,
That was except when you hit it with the mower (cylinder jobs in those
days)and it spattered everywhere, then we did call it something else.
We also had a few names for the dog owners.

I remember my first pay rise, it was 1/3d (Just a tad over 6p, for those to
young to remember Proper money).
Yes 1/3d......................a week.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Essjay001

Charlie wrote:
I've had two dogs all my life and played on the grass where they did
their "business" (after it had been cleaned up) and it clearly never
killed me. I'd stop worrying so much personally.

Charlie.

"after it had been cleaned up" do you mean to say that your parents washed
and disinfected the grass.

Old 04-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Charlie

No, I mean that they picked up the, er, mess, and put it in the decomposer.

Charlie.

Old 04-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Mike

In article , David Hill david@abacusn
urseries.freeserve.co.uk writes

I remember my first pay rise, it was 1/3d (Just a tad over 6p, for those to
young to remember Proper money).
Yes 1/3d......................a week.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

When would that be David? My first pay rise was in 1951 when I went from
£1.2.6d to £1.5.0d (a week. 1st year Apprentice) but I don't know what
the Adult wage was.

Mike
Forthcoming reunions.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 05-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Essjay001

Charlie wrote:
You don't get a "clean" lawn when you own dogs.

Now I am disgusted!

Old 05-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Charlie

So don't have dogs. And while you're still alive wrap yourself in sterile
bubble wrap suits so that you don't catch anything.

Charlie.