Old 06-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Jim Paterson

Default 'Gardeners' Wilt'

I have heard of clematis wilt and verticillum wilt etc. plus the unrelated
'Brewers'Droop' all well known problems but how does one combat 'Gardeners'
Wilt' which is what I think I may have contracted during these extreme
temperatures we have been experiencing lately?
I have to work other peoples gaardens every day and apart from the odd glass
of squash or tea I have to just get on with it. Maybe I'm just starting to
feel my age but seriously how do others cope with the heat and still work
through the day outdoors and not always with a shady area.?
Jim
ps As an ex marine I have obviously experienced a lot worse but I was kinda
younger then!!!

Old 06-08-2003, 09:42 PM
JennyC

"Jim Paterson" wrote in message
[...]

Split the day into two halves:
Start as early as possible and have a long siesta .........
You obviously don't want to start mowing lawns at 5am but maybe you
could do noisy work in the evenings ?

It's far to hot to be doing manual work outside ATM !

be sure to drink masses and masses - even more than you think you need
:~)

Jenny

Old 06-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Gary Woods

"Jim Paterson" wrote:

how does one combat 'Gardeners'
Wilt' which is what I think I may have contracted during these extreme
temperatures we have been experiencing lately?

I'm glad to hear it's not just in the American colonies.... it's been so
hot here I swear I smelled a whiff of sulphur in the air! Right now, there
are rumbles offstage south, and tall mounded clouds walking the land.

Us ex-sailors have learned to gracefully accept that we're not as young as
we once were, and take frequent breaks with lots of liquids. Mostly water
and/or tea, because if I drank enough of my preferred amber ale to keep
hydrated, I wouldn't be able to tell a weed from a tomato!

It helps that I take breaks in a cool cellar workshop, where lives the
computer...

Old 06-08-2003, 11:25 PM
David Hill

What's wrong with having a few flasks of either Tea or even cold drink, (I
always find hot Tea is great in this weather whilst I am working, sometimes
in the glasshouse or poly tunnel in the heat of the day)
You should be drinking 6 to 8 pints of fluid a day, at least.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 06-08-2003, 11:36 PM
shannie

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

I'm not sure if there's a more polite way of phrasing this, not trying to
offend anyone, but along with drinking plenty of liquid make sure your
weeing..if you'r not weeing in this hot weather it's a sign your not
drinking enough and will quickly dehydrate. 6-8 long glass's of liquid
(pint glass's) is generally whats recommended. Not alcohol tho as this will
speed along the dehydration process.

Shannie

Old 06-08-2003, 11:43 PM
shazzbat

"Jim Paterson" wrote in message
I have heard of clematis wilt and verticillum wilt etc. plus the unrelated
'Brewers'Droop' all well known problems but how does one combat

'Gardeners'
Wilt' which is what I think I may have contracted during these extreme
temperatures we have been experiencing lately?
I have to work other peoples gaardens every day and apart from the odd

glass
of squash or tea I have to just get on with it. Maybe I'm just starting to
feel my age but seriously how do others cope with the heat and still work
through the day outdoors and not always with a shady area.?
Jim
ps As an ex marine I have obviously experienced a lot worse but I was

kinda
younger then!!!

And as an ex-serviceman you'll be familiar with the phrase " If you can't
take a joke, you shouldn't have joined up", no?

Steve(ex-REME)

Old 07-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Kay Easton

In article , shannie
writes
I'm not sure if there's a more polite way of phrasing this, not trying to
offend anyone, but along with drinking plenty of liquid make sure your
weeing..if you'r not weeing in this hot weather it's a sign your not
drinking enough and will quickly dehydrate. 6-8 long glass's of liquid
(pint glass's) is generally whats recommended. Not alcohol tho as this will
speed along the dehydration process.

And also keep your salt intake up. If you find that water is no longer
quenching your thirst, you may need some more salt - anchovies or crisps
are palatable sources.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 07-08-2003, 03:33 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Jim Paterson" contains these words:

how does one combat 'Gardeners'
Wilt' which is what I think I may have contracted during these extreme
temperatures we have been experiencing lately?
I have to work other peoples gaardens every day and apart from the odd glass
of squash or tea I have to just get on with it. Maybe I'm just starting to
feel my age but seriously how do others cope with the heat and still work
through the day outdoors and not always with a shady area.?

Hot innit; I forked wet hay (thunderstorms last night) into a trailer
for 3 hours this morning. It was preferable to working in the suntrap
walled garden which would have been even hotter. Here's what I find
useful;

All-cotton clothes including socks; loosely covered up is cooler, as
well as safer, than shorts/vest. Non-oily high factor sunscreen. Shady
hat, all-round wide brim. A **large** bottle of tap water for frequent
swigs as well as whatever drinks you're offered; drink at least a pint
an hour. Rest and cool down (preferably in shade) for a few minutes
every half hour. Pace yourself by alternating periods of active and
gentle tasks; for instance instead of mowing all the grass then trimming
all the edges, mow/trim/mow/trim. A fulltime gardener I know
half-freezes her bottle of water before she starts work. I put ice into
mine; Ikea sell a 99p icecube tray which makes long narrow sticks of
ice, which slip easily into a bottle neck.If you sweat a lot, eating
bananas keeps up your potassium level, and a cotton bandanna is useful
for wiping.

Janet.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "shannie" contains these words:

I'm not sure if there's a more polite way of phrasing this, not trying to
offend anyone, but along with drinking plenty of liquid make sure your
weeing..if you'r not weeing in this hot weather it's a sign your not
drinking enough and will quickly dehydrate. 6-8 long glass's of liquid
(pint glass's) is generally whats recommended. Not alcohol tho as this will
speed along the dehydration process.

Shannie

They recommended that at least 3 GOOD wee`s a day when I went to
Glastonbury Festival the other year.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 07-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Rusty

"David Hill" wrote:.
What's wrong with having a few flasks of either Tea or even cold drink, (I
always find hot Tea is great in this weather whilst I am working,
sometimes in the glasshouse or poly tunnel in the heat of the day)
You should be drinking 6 to 8 pints of fluid a day, at least.
---

Helping out with the harvest in the '50s, when summers really were summers,
most of us took into the fields a large snap-top Carona bottle filled with
cold, milky sweet tea. An onion, a slice of mouse trap, a hunk of bread, not
forgetting a pen knife, completed a good alfresco meal. One harvester I
remember had an annoying habit of bringing along a pack of 20 Churchman's
No1, tearing the cigarettes up and mixing the tobacco with roll-your-own
stuff then spending most of his lunch break rolling anew. I didn't think the
re-rolled cigarettes tasted any better.

Rusty

Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Jim Paterson

The message
from "Jim Paterson" contains these words:

how does one combat 'Gardeners'
Wilt' which is what I think I may have contracted during these extreme
temperatures we have been experiencing lately?
I have to work other peoples gaardens every day and apart from the odd

glass
of squash or tea I have to just get on with it. Maybe I'm just starting

feel my age but seriously how do others cope with the heat and still

work
through the day outdoors and not always with a shady area.?

Well I can see I'm not the only one with a bead of sweat on my brow. The
methods used to combat the heat as recommended are in the main used by me. I
drink loads, pace myself, 'spend a penny', eat bananas, wear a hat, overalls
(which I have to for protection from nasties) and I remember taking part in
harvests in the '50s, eating salt tablets in the mob and currently dream of
snowball fights in winter. Yeuk! must be heat dementia. Gone to the
fridge....

Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Jim Paterson

The message
from "Jim Paterson" contains these words:

how does one combat 'Gardeners'
Wilt' which is what I think I may have contracted during these extreme
temperatures we have been experiencing lately?
I have to work other peoples gaardens every day and apart from the odd

glass
of squash or tea I have to just get on with it. Maybe I'm just starting

feel my age but seriously how do others cope with the heat and still

work
through the day outdoors and not always with a shady area.?

Well I can see I'm not the only one with a bead of sweat on my brow. The
methods used to combat the heat as recommended are in the main used by me. I
drink loads, pace myself, 'spend a penny', wear a hat, overalls (which I

Old 08-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Marion Doran

"Jim Paterson" wrote in message
but seriously how do others cope with the heat and still work
through the day outdoors and not always with a shady area.?
Jim

I take a big coolbag with some bottles part full of ice topped up with water
or orange juice, as someone has already suggested; and 2 or 3 totally frozen
bottles of water. Get one out at a time, use the part-frozen ones first, and
the completely frozen ones will last longer, and be part-melted ready to use
in late afternoon.

It helps a lot to wear a cotton sunhat and cotton T shirt, and at intervals
soak the hat in cold water and splash water on the shirt. The evaporation is
very refreshing. You can soak them when washing hands after visiting the
toilet, and steep your hands and arms in cold water in the washbasin as
well. In between times, use some of the water bottles to soak them - so far
I've managed NOT to soak them in orange juice, there's been a couple of near
misses though.

It's helped this fully-paid-up OAP to survive so far, anyway!

Marion Doran

Old 08-08-2003, 11:04 PM
David Hill

"......... It helps a lot to wear a cotton sunhat and cotton T shirt, and at
intervals soak the hat in cold water and splash water on the shirt. The
evaporation is
very refreshing ........"

You will find if you have a kerchief round your neck and soak that in cold
water cools you down best as does soaking your wrists in cold water.
You are getting 2 areas where the blood is close to the surface and are in
fact cooling the blood, this in turn cools the whole body.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries