Old 18-08-2003, 10:59 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default RAGWORT

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

The Cinnabar is a Tiger moth.. just not THE Tiger moth.

Just as well really, that would really frighten the horses.

Janet

Old 19-08-2003, 01:44 AM

Neil Jones wrote:
I have researched this. In detail by looking through the scientific
literature.
The claim that Ragwort is a human health risk if handled is complete
nonsense.

Good, that's what I thought.

It isn't even particularly toxic to animals. AS I keep saying there is
an example in the scientific literature of a horse being deliberately
fed over 20% of its body weight of dried ragwort and SURVIVING! It is
only the cumulative effects that make it toxic.

Again that's what I've learnt sort of reading between the lines of the
(mild) paranoia about ragwort in the horse world. I am a horse owner
with fields that were once very ragwort infested. We have two horses
living on those fields and they (the fields) are now pretty ragwort
free. However from experience I know the horses don't eat the
ragwort, the risk is more (as many people have said) that the ragwort
gets incorporated into hay and then horses can't avoid it because the
taste is not so obvious to them.

I believe also that ponies in paticular, if they are really hungry,
will start eating ragwort and become so accustomed to the taste that
they almost like it. Animals *do* die from eating ragwort but I don;t
believe that it's a huge number and I do believe that there are
probably exceptional circumstances.

There is also a risk in the long term of course as the the liver
damage suffered is cumulative, it may be pretty unilkely to eat 20% of
ones (horse) body weight of ragwort in a season but it's much less
unlikely over ten or fiteen years for an animal kept in permanently
ragwort infested fields.

--
Chris Green )
Old 19-08-2003, 02:04 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "The Devil's Advocate"
contains these words:

I will clear mine as soon as I see it as my brother has a horse and I know
how you feel Kate

THE LAW
As ragwort is an injurious weed it is specified in the Weeds Act 1959. The
DEFRA has powers to serve clearance notices but will only do so where
agricultural production is directly affected. On roadside verges and waste
land, local authorities should have be contacted. Difficulties occur on
other types of land in regard to enforcement. The horse owner has a very
clear duty to protect his stock from what can only be described as a
horrible and unnecessary death.

There is now a ragwort-specific herbicide - contact Norfolk Wildlife
Trust, 72 Cathedral Close, Norwich. 01603 625540

They ran a trial on New Buckenham Common, which was overrun by it. Did a
magnificent job, and while there are some plants left, they are dotted
about rather than growing in thickets.

I didn't notice any abundance of cinnebar moths when the Common was
yellow with ragwort.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to

Old 19-08-2003, 02:04 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

I didn't think animals ate it when green anyway. The danger being when
it gets into Hay and they don't notice it.

Loses its foul scent/flavour on drying.

I hope that some ragwort is left for the moths.

Even though we do the verges and our land there is still plenty about.
Just look at the verges of almost any major road...

Where the constant movement of traffic draws the seeds ever-onward.

Old 19-08-2003, 02:04 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Am I right in thinking that if ragwort is found on land belonging to you,
you might be fined for it?

Yes - if you don't remove it when appraised of its presence.

Old 19-08-2003, 02:04 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

It's illegal to allow it to grow on your land. (Most county bylaws
specifically mention ragwort as a notifiable weed.)

But tolerated as it is a native plant and host to several
invertebrates. If it's more than 100m from grazing horses/stock or
land used to produce forage they say leave it. Of course round here we
are surrounded by sheep...

Oxford ragwort is a fairly recent introduction - believed to have been
brought in the ballast of merchantmen, which ballast often comprised
sacks of sand or soil.

Old 19-08-2003, 02:04 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

The Cinnabar is a Tiger moth.. just not THE Tiger moth.

I thought I saw three tiger moths in chevron recently, but on careful
observation they turned out to be Boeing Stearmans. (Stearmen?)

Old 19-08-2003, 02:04 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Ron" contains these words:

I was told when a nipper in the depths of GLS that the tiger moth was so
called because it's caterpillar was coloured and striped like a tiger.

Greater London (South)?

None of the tiger moths has a stripey caterpillar. Spotty, a bit hairy,
but not stripey.

Old 19-08-2003, 02:05 AM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:50:07 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

The Cinnabar is a Tiger moth.. just not THE Tiger moth.

Just as well really, that would really frighten the horses.

I've been known to scare a few horses myself

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Notes/A_day.htm

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Ragwort judith[_2_] United Kingdom 36 13-08-2007 08:44 AM
Ragwort ©¿© United Kingdom 0 09-08-2006 11:50 AM
Ragwort again Kay Easton United Kingdom 0 22-09-2003 06:32 PM
RAGWORT moving off topic David Hill United Kingdom 25 25-08-2003 11:42 PM
Hysteria over Ragwort Neil Jones United Kingdom 83 25-08-2003 11:22 AM