Old 18-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default RAGWORT

In article ,
"ned" writes:

| 'Not sure I follow that argument but by the same reasoning,
| '.... not many peeps on this group' will recognise ragwort induced
| liver failure but most will recognise grass. ;-)
|
| It is certainly the responsibility of horse owners to ensure that
| THEIR grazing is ragwort free and that their bought in hay comes from
| a reputable, trustworthy source. It is not the responsibility of the
| entire nation to reduce the biodiversity of the country just so that a
| minority section of the populace can sleep easier in their beds.

I fully agree. It is unclear how much of a danger it really is,
anyway, and the issue is OXFORD ragwort not the native species!

| How many child deaths occur from the consumption of poisonous
| berries? Yet do we see campaigns to eradicate deadly nightshade,
| foxglove, laburnam, ivy, etc., etc.

God help us, we do. Not just against giant hogweed, but against
yew hedges - evidently by idiots who regard Hamlet as a toxicological
reference. Perhaps BECAUSE there are virtually no deaths - people
always fear the unknown.

| Let's just keep the problem in perspective.

We may be able to, but it is unlikely that the press, politicians
botanically ignorant public (99%) and bureaucrats will.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-08-2003, 06:45 PM
Neil Jones

wrote:

| Do you have evidence for this as when we enquired of DEFRA about it
| they said that as far as they knew it was harmless to touch and pull
| it.
|
| DEFRA need to stop contradicting themselves, read that "large" .PDF
| point to a while back. That pretty much states that skin contact
| should be avoided, long sleeves and trousers, gloves etc. Mind you
| that whole document is on the safe side of safe.

Almost certainly the arse covering side of safe! You do not increase
safety by going bananas. I am now seeing that sort of notice on
bags of sharp sand - yes, really, complete with instructions to
wash carefully with soap after any accidental contact.

Now, which is more likely to cause skin irritation - soap or sand?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have researched this. In detail by looking through the scientific
literature.
The claim that Ragwort is a human health risk if handled is complete
nonsense.
It isn't even particularly toxic to animals. AS I keep saying there is
an example in the scientific literature of a horse being deliberately
fed over 20% of its body weight of dried ragwort and SURVIVING! It is
only the cumulative effects that make it toxic.

The dose that a human would have to consume would be in the order of a
stone or so in weight. No direct research has been done on ragwort but
it has been done on Comfrey which contains similar chemicals. This
study on rats showed that skin absorbtion was up to 50 times less than
that through the gut.

You'd have to bathe in the stuff regularly for there to be any effect.

Neil Jones-
http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn
Bog National Nature Reserve
Old 18-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Ron

Not tiger moths, it's the Cinnabar moth caterpillars that eat ragwort.

The Cinnabar is a Tiger moth.. just not THE Tiger moth.

I was told when a nipper in the depths of GLS that the tiger moth was so
called because it's caterpillar was coloured and striped like a tiger.

Ron

Ragwort judith[_2_] United Kingdom 36 13-08-2007 08:44 AM
Ragwort ©¿© United Kingdom 0 09-08-2006 11:50 AM
Ragwort again Kay Easton United Kingdom 0 22-09-2003 06:32 PM
RAGWORT moving off topic David Hill United Kingdom 25 25-08-2003 11:42 PM
Hysteria over Ragwort Neil Jones United Kingdom 83 25-08-2003 11:22 AM