Old 31-08-2003, 11:42 PM
hendo2002

Default Against the law ??

Hi , I have a bit of a problem with a neighbour at the bottom of my garden ,
it is his boundry fence but whilst I've been away for a fortnight he has
clipped unsightly PVC screened cable to the fence on my side for some
lighting is he allowed to do this or not ?? Its not a matter of asking him
as when I was doing my garden he banged on my door complaining that I had
got his decking dirty !!! so from that point on we don't really see eye to
eye

Old 01-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Paul Kelly

hendo2002 wrote:
Hi , I have a bit of a problem with a neighbour at the bottom of my
garden , it is his boundry fence but whilst I've been away for a
fortnight he has clipped unsightly PVC screened cable to the fence on
my side for some lighting is he allowed to do this or not ?? Its not
a matter of asking him as when I was doing my garden he banged on my
door complaining that I had got his decking dirty !!! so from that
point on we don't really see eye to eye

If it is his fence he is allowed but so are you allowed to prune plants
(very) close to the fence! Be careful, though, don't cut his wire!

pk

Old 01-09-2003, 12:02 AM
OldRedNeck

Fight back. Erect a monster fence on your property line that eliminates him
completely. Before putting it up--paint his viewing side in the most ugly
colour you can find.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:03 AM
Jason Pope

hendo2002 wrote:
Hi , I have a bit of a problem with a neighbour at the bottom of my garden ,
it is his boundry fence but whilst I've been away for a fortnight he has
clipped unsightly PVC screened cable to the fence on my side for some
lighting is he allowed to do this or not ?? Its not a matter of asking him
as when I was doing my garden he banged on my door complaining that I had
got his decking dirty !!! so from that point on we don't really see eye to
eye

If it's on your side, unclip it and throw it back into his garden.
He is only allowed to do that with permission from you!

Jason

Old 01-09-2003, 08:35 AM
Pickle

"Jason Pope" wrote in message

hendo2002 wrote:
Hi , I have a bit of a problem with a neighbour at the bottom of my

garden ,
it is his boundry fence but whilst I've been away for a fortnight he has
clipped unsightly PVC screened cable to the fence on my side for some
lighting is he allowed to do this or not ?? Its not a matter of asking

him
as when I was doing my garden he banged on my door complaining that I

had
got his decking dirty !!! so from that point on we don't really see eye

eye

Speaking of fences, can I make my (miserable) neighbour maintain his side of
the new fence which we put up last year? It's our fence and we have painted
our side with timbercare but he never looks after anything in his garden.
His missus doesn't mind banging nails into our fence and growing her roses
up it but they can't be a***ed to maintain it. Can i make him paint it or
can I insist on access to his garden to paint it myself?

Old 01-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Ron

You say it's a screened cable; if you can recognise it as that you sound a
bit technically with it as might be your neighbour. Do you know if it's low
voltage lighting? If it is, you're on a sticky wicket from the technical
side because it will be isolated from the mains.

Even so, it might be a good thing to have a word with the electricity
suppliers or perhaps check the latest IEME Reg's in your local library.
It's a long time since I read the regulations which always keep abreast of
the times, so there's bound to be something about extension cables,
(screening may not be enough- perhaps they should be armoured), isolation
transformers, earth bonding and maybe official sactioning. You could have a
field day if the extension is just that from a 13 amp socket!

Of course, you could always paint the cable the same colour as the fence; it
would then be less unsightly.

Regards

Ron

Old 01-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Peter Crosland

Speaking of fences, can I make my (miserable) neighbour maintain his side

of
the new fence which we put up last year? It's our fence and we have

painted
our side with timbercare but he never looks after anything in his garden.
His missus doesn't mind banging nails into our fence and growing her roses
up it but they can't be a***ed to maintain it. Can i make him paint it or
can I insist on access to his garden to paint it myself?

Legally you can stop them banging nails etc. in and you can get a court
order to allow access for maintenance. Having said that it is a very bad
idea to fall out with your neighbours since you will have to declare any
disputes if and when you sell your house. Far better to go and talk to them
and try and persuade them to be more reasonable.

Old 01-09-2003, 12:02 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message
hendo2002 wrote:
Hi , I have a bit of a problem with a neighbour at the bottom of my
garden , it is his boundry fence but whilst I've been away for a
fortnight he has clipped unsightly PVC screened cable to the fence on
my side for some lighting is he allowed to do this or not ?? Its not
a matter of asking him as when I was doing my garden he banged on my
door complaining that I had got his decking dirty !!! so from that
point on we don't really see eye to eye

If it is his fence he is allowed but so are you allowed to prune plants
(very) close to the fence! Be careful, though, don't cut his wire!

pk

If it is his fence he can fix things on his side - I doubt he can fix things
on your side unless the fence is back from the property line.
Best to check with the CAB and/or uk.legal.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:42 PM
BAC

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message
hendo2002 wrote:
Hi , I have a bit of a problem with a neighbour at the bottom of my
garden , it is his boundry fence but whilst I've been away for a
fortnight he has clipped unsightly PVC screened cable to the fence on
my side for some lighting is he allowed to do this or not ?? Its not
a matter of asking him as when I was doing my garden he banged on my
door complaining that I had got his decking dirty !!! so from that
point on we don't really see eye to eye

If it is his fence he is allowed but so are you allowed to prune plants
(very) close to the fence! Be careful, though, don't cut his wire!

pk

If it is his fence he can fix things on his side - I doubt he can fix

things
on your side unless the fence is back from the property line.
Best to check with the CAB and/or uk.legal.

another good option to check would be http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/walls.html

It features, amongst other things, a discussion forum which covers a very
wide range of 'fencing' matters, so some practical advice might be at hand.

Old 01-09-2003, 06:12 PM
bnd777

"Pickle" wrote in message

"Jason Pope" wrote in message

hendo2002 wrote:
[...]

Your neighbour CANNOT attach/bang anything onto your fence without
permission ..........

Old 02-09-2003, 06:35 PM
BAC

"bnd777" wrote in message

"Pickle" wrote in message

"Jason Pope" wrote in message

hendo2002 wrote:
[...]

Don't you mean the neighbour SHOULD not attach/bang etc.? Quite obviously,
he/she CAN if he/she wishes (the poster implies the neighbour already HAS),
the question is, if he/she does, and you notice, what can you do about it?

Very little short of going to law, IMO, and is that really wise?

Old 02-09-2003, 07:44 PM
bnd777

"BAC" wrote in message

"bnd777" wrote in message

"Pickle" wrote in message

"Jason Pope" wrote in message

hendo2002 wrote:
[...]

No its not wise to go to law or get into a neighbour dispute with people

as crazy as that neighbour

Best solution would be to plant Pyracantha the spikes will soon stop the
neighbour attempting to maintain his lighting cable and give him something
else to do but knock nails into other peoples fences

Old 02-09-2003, 10:47 PM
Pickle

"bnd777" wrote in message

"Pickle" wrote in message
snip

[...]

I'm not interested in litigation - I was just curious to know where I stood
as to whether I could insist on either him painting the fence or having
access to do it myself before I spoke to him about it. He's a miserable lazy
git but not completely unapproachable. (He speaks to my husband occasionally
but not to me)
As to the banging of nails in - I'm not too bothered as long as she doesn't
damage the panels.