Old 07-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Franz Heymann

Default acer palmatum in strawberry planter?

"bnd777" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"bnd777" wrote in message

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
I have an Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki' in a pot which I bought last

year
but can't seem to find a good place for. I also have a spare 1m tall
strawberry planter.
It occurs to me that the acer would look good situated 1m above

ground
in said planter. Would this work if I fill the planter with JI /

garden
soil or would the roots quickly be too constricted?

--
dave @ stejonda

Depends how big the strawberry planter is
Also be very careful to cover soil tightly with planting membrane plus
gravel to stop Vine weevil getting in cos they love Acers

What would be the signs of a wine weevil infestation?
I have just written a note in which I said I thought my Acer was

becoming
pot bound, but you have set me wondering.

Franz

You will have to take it out of its pot and look for signs of small

white
grubs with tan/beige heads ........if affected then pick out every one
.........and shake off the compost

Did it. No weevils. But you should see the rootball! If I were the acer I
would be complaining of being potbound.

Time to invest in a youngster next year.

Franz

Old 07-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Franz Heymann

"bnd777" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
I have an Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki' in a pot which I bought last year
but can't seem to find a good place for. I also have a spare 1m tall
strawberry planter.
It occurs to me that the acer would look good situated 1m above ground
in said planter. Would this work if I fill the planter with JI /

garden
soil or would the roots quickly be too constricted?

I have had an Acer palmatum dissectum atropurpureum in a pot

approximately
18" high and 18" diameter for something like ten years. It flourished

until
this year, when it is beginning to show what I think are signs of being

pot
bound. I water it reasonably regularly and feed it sporadically with
Miracle Gro.

I have a feeling that your strawberry planter might be a little on the
narrow side. What is its diameter?

Franz

Franz .........Acers are suffering this year in the heat and they like

rich
compost the odd dose of miracle grow will only help for just so long

bnd77, In another post I related what I found when I lifted the Acer for an
inspection. The whole potful is one solid mass of roots. I really do think
I should replace it. The compost is as old as the Acer, namely in the
region of a decade. I doubt if one could still refer to it as "rich".

Franz

Old 08-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Did it. No weevils. But you should see the rootball! If I were the acer I
would be complaining of being potbound.

Time to invest in a youngster next year.

Franz

Cut back the roots 1/3. No problem Franz. Clean the pot out, tease some
of the roots a bit and stick her back in.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 08-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Franz Heymann

"Christopher Norton" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

Did it. No weevils. But you should see the rootball! If I were the

acer I
would be complaining of being potbound.

Time to invest in a youngster next year.

Franz

Cut back the roots 1/3. No problem Franz. Clean the pot out, tease some
of the roots a bit and stick her back in.

Presumably only after leaf-fall, if I am to play safe?

Franz

Old 08-09-2003, 07:45 PM
bnd777

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Christopher Norton" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

Did it. No weevils. But you should see the rootball! If I were the

acer I
would be complaining of being potbound.

Time to invest in a youngster next year.

Franz

Cut back the roots 1/3. No problem Franz. Clean the pot out, tease some
of the roots a bit and stick her back in.

Presumably only after leaf-fall, if I am to play safe?

Franz

yes do it when the plant is dormant ........think Japanese Bonsai thats

how they keep plants small

Old 09-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Franz Heymann

"bnd777" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Christopher Norton" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

Did it. No weevils. But you should see the rootball! If I were

the
acer I
would be complaining of being potbound.

Time to invest in a youngster next year.

Franz

Cut back the roots 1/3. No problem Franz. Clean the pot out, tease

some
of the roots a bit and stick her back in.

Presumably only after leaf-fall, if I am to play safe?

yes do it when the plant is dormant ........think Japanese Bonsai thats
how they keep plants small

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Franz

Old 09-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

"Christopher Norton" wrote in message

Cut back the roots 1/3. No problem Franz. Clean the pot out, tease some
of the roots a bit and stick her back in.

Presumably only after leaf-fall, if I am to play safe?

Franz

Just about bud break next year. Not before really.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 09-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "bnd777" contains these words:

yes do it when the plant is dormant ........think Japanese Bonsai thats

how they keep plants small

Bonsai are kept small from trimming. Root cutting stimulates root and
top growth. If you wanted to keep the tree small by way of the roots you
would keep them very pot bound. Thereby restricting the growth aspect.

You want to see a 2 foot trident maple in spring when the roots have
just been trimmed and it`s being fed nitrogen on a weekly basis. You can
almost see em grow!!!!!

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 09-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Franz Heymann

"Christopher Norton" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

"Christopher Norton" wrote in message

Cut back the roots 1/3. No problem Franz. Clean the pot out, tease

some
of the roots a bit and stick her back in.

Presumably only after leaf-fall, if I am to play safe?

Franz

Just about bud break next year. Not before really.

Many thanks for the information. I have put it down in my chores list for
early spring.

Franz

Old 10-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

"Christopher Norton" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

"Christopher Norton" wrote in message

Cut back the roots 1/3. No problem Franz. Clean the pot out, tease

some
of the roots a bit and stick her back in.

Presumably only after leaf-fall, if I am to play safe?

Franz

Just about bud break next year. Not before really.

Many thanks for the information. I have put it down in my chores list for
early spring.

Franz

More than welcome Franz.

--
email farmer chris on
Please don`t use
Old 20-09-2003, 09:32 AM
J C-W

"Christopher Norton" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

"Christopher Norton" wrote in message

Cut back the roots 1/3. No problem Franz. Clean the pot out, tease

some
of the roots a bit and stick her back in.

Presumably only after leaf-fall, if I am to play safe?

Franz

Just about bud break next year. Not before really.

I have an Acer palmatum dissectum also in an earthenware pot (~10"), and for
the last couple of years, in Spring it buds well and then gets a lovely
coverage of leaves, then about end of April/May time, half the leaves curl
up and fall off. The tree then lasts the season OK, but only with half its
leaves. The tree was bought already potted from the nursery and has bark
chippings on top to protect it. I've tried dressing the soil with iron
sulphate to try and acidify it a bit, so I'm hoping that will help, but it's
a strange thing to happen - if it were ailing, one would expect all the
leaves to fall off, and perhaps get branches dying back, but that isn't the
case here. Any ideas? I'm going to check for vine weavil, but I suspect
that it's clear as the pot is well protected.

Jason

---

Old 20-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:29:47 +0100, "J C-W"
wrote:

I have an Acer palmatum dissectum also in an earthenware pot (~10"), and for
the last couple of years, in Spring it buds well and then gets a lovely
coverage of leaves, then about end of April/May time, half the leaves curl
up and fall off. The tree then lasts the season OK, but only with half its
leaves.

I would guess that it gets too dry or too hot, or both. Does it stand
in sun? Does it EVER dry out a bit?
Acers need semi shade and the pot should certainly not get too much
sun on it; the roots will cook. I would put it in a bigger pot.
10ins is not very big.
Don't bother with the iron, just put it in a shady place and keep it
moist.
If it was vine weevil the tree would not survive winter, but be
vigilant. VW love acers. Use biological control or Provado as a
preventative.
I have several Bonsai acers and they dried out a bit while I was on
holiday and the friend watering did not do it every day. Some leaves
shrivelled but new growth appeared and I know they should be OK next
year.
Good luck

Pam in Bristol
Old 20-09-2003, 01:12 PM
J C-W

wrote:

[...]

Pam, thanks for the advice. Having checked out the RHS site, they seem to
give similar advice for leaf scorching, which I guess is what it is. I
suppose it is just coincidence that the scorch occurred at the same time
both years, but I don't think it dried out when the leaf drop occurred. I
am also wondering if the roots could do with a trim, as they seem to be
protruding from the drainage hole - I understand the recommendation to
re-pot, but the nurseryman assured us that the tree would be quite happy in
its pot for a good five years or so. Anyway, I'll try a new location next
season and possibly look at re-potting.
Jason

---

Old 20-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:03:37 +0100, "J C-W"

am also wondering if the roots could do with a trim, as they seem to be
protruding from the drainage hole - I understand the recommendation to
re-pot, but the nurseryman assured us that the tree would be quite happy in
its pot for a good five years or so. Anyway, I'll try a new location next
season and possibly look at re-potting.

Jason, my Bonsai trees get root-pruned and repotted every few years,
but I want to keep them small.
If you want yours to get fairly big I would repot and relocate, keep
well watered, feed a balanced feed next year and only consider root
pruning when it gets to the size you want.
Here speaks one who has lost many small potted acers over the uears
but my best Bonsai has been kept since 1978 and is still healthy!

Pam in Bristol