Old 06-09-2003, 10:12 AM
dave @ stejonda

Default acer palmatum in strawberry planter?

I have an Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki' in a pot which I bought last year
but can't seem to find a good place for. I also have a spare 1m tall
strawberry planter.
It occurs to me that the acer would look good situated 1m above ground
in said planter. Would this work if I fill the planter with JI / garden
soil or would the roots quickly be too constricted?

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 06-09-2003, 04:32 PM
bnd777

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
I have an Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki' in a pot which I bought last year
but can't seem to find a good place for. I also have a spare 1m tall
strawberry planter.
It occurs to me that the acer would look good situated 1m above ground
in said planter. Would this work if I fill the planter with JI / garden
soil or would the roots quickly be too constricted?

--
dave @ stejonda

Depends how big the strawberry planter is
Also be very careful to cover soil tightly with planting membrane plus
gravel to stop Vine weevil getting in cos they love Acers

Old 06-09-2003, 05:02 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , bnd777
writes

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
I have an Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki' in a pot which I bought last year
but can't seem to find a good place for. I also have a spare 1m tall
strawberry planter.
It occurs to me that the acer would look good situated 1m above ground
in said planter. Would this work if I fill the planter with JI / garden
soil or would the roots quickly be too constricted?

Depends how big the strawberry planter is

standard one that you see around - 1m high, 2ft across?, about 20 slots
for strawberry plants

Also be very careful to cover soil tightly with planting membrane plus
gravel to stop Vine weevil getting in cos they love Acers

thanks for that tip

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 06-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Martin Sykes

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , bnd777
writes

snip Depends how big the strawberry planter is

standard one that you see around - 1m high, 2ft across?, about 20 slots
for strawberry plants

I would think a strawberry planter would be a bit unstable when it starts
getting windy with a tree in the top. It'll have a tiny base and be top
heavy.

Martin

Old 06-09-2003, 09:22 PM
bnd777

[...]

No such thing as "standard " ........if theres 20 slots for Strawberries
then theres 20 holes for Vine weevils to get in

The size is otherwise fine ......mine are in pots half that size

Old 06-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Franz Heymann

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
I have an Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki' in a pot which I bought last year
but can't seem to find a good place for. I also have a spare 1m tall
strawberry planter.
It occurs to me that the acer would look good situated 1m above ground
in said planter. Would this work if I fill the planter with JI / garden
soil or would the roots quickly be too constricted?

I have had an Acer palmatum dissectum atropurpureum in a pot approximately
18" high and 18" diameter for something like ten years. It flourished until
this year, when it is beginning to show what I think are signs of being pot
bound. I water it reasonably regularly and feed it sporadically with
Miracle Gro.

I have a feeling that your strawberry planter might be a little on the
narrow side. What is its diameter?

Franz

Old 06-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Franz Heymann

"bnd777" wrote in message

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
I have an Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki' in a pot which I bought last year
but can't seem to find a good place for. I also have a spare 1m tall
strawberry planter.
It occurs to me that the acer would look good situated 1m above ground
in said planter. Would this work if I fill the planter with JI / garden
soil or would the roots quickly be too constricted?

--
dave @ stejonda

Depends how big the strawberry planter is
Also be very careful to cover soil tightly with planting membrane plus
gravel to stop Vine weevil getting in cos they love Acers

What would be the signs of a wine weevil infestation?
I have just written a note in which I said I thought my Acer was becoming
pot bound, but you have set me wondering.

Franz

Old 06-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Franz Heymann

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , bnd777
writes

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
I have an Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki' in a pot which I bought last year
but can't seem to find a good place for. I also have a spare 1m tall
strawberry planter.
It occurs to me that the acer would look good situated 1m above ground
in said planter. Would this work if I fill the planter with JI / garden
soil or would the roots quickly be too constricted?

Depends how big the strawberry planter is

standard one that you see around - 1m high, 2ft across?, about 20 slots
for strawberry plants

That would be ample.

Franz

Old 06-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , bnd777
writes

snip Depends how big the strawberry planter is

standard one that you see around - 1m high, 2ft across?, about 20 slots
for strawberry plants

I would think a strawberry planter would be a bit unstable when it starts
getting windy with a tree in the top. It'll have a tiny base and be top
heavy.

Not if it is indeed as wide as Dave said in another note.
I have a columnar dwarf conifer in an Ali Baba shaped pot with a 1 ft
diameter foot. The conifer has a larger wind-catching area than the acer I
mentoned in another post, and it has never blown over.

Franz

Old 06-09-2003, 11:14 PM
bnd777

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"bnd777" wrote in message

[...]

You will have to take it out of its pot and look for signs of small white

grubs with tan/beige heads ........if affected then pick out every one
..........and shake off the compost
Replant in new compost and wet thporoughly with solution of armillotox then
cover soil with planting membrane and gravel ........be sure to put membrane
over drainage holes at base too as if the pot is slightly off the ground the
adult beetles crawl in the bottom too
Also run a line of vaseline around the top edge of pots they cant crawl over
it

Old 06-09-2003, 11:14 PM
bnd777

[...]

Franz .........Acers are suffering this year in the heat and they like rich
compost the odd dose of miracle grow will only help for just so long

Old 07-09-2003, 09:12 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , bnd777
writes
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , bnd777
writes
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
I have an Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki' in a pot which I bought last year
but can't seem to find a good place for. I also have a spare 1m tall
strawberry planter.
It occurs to me that the acer would look good situated 1m above ground
in said planter. Would this work if I fill the planter with JI / garden
soil or would the roots quickly be too constricted?

Depends how big the strawberry planter is

standard one that you see around - 1m high, 2ft across?, about 20 slots
for strawberry plants

No such thing as "standard " ........if theres 20 slots for Strawberries
then theres 20 holes for Vine weevils to get in

The size is otherwise fine ......mine are in pots half that size

Thanks to you, Martin & Franz.

The place I have in mind for the planter is fairly sheltered so
hopefully stability won't be a problem. I've got a roll of terram fabric
to block the holes with.

--
dave @ stejonda

Old 07-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Mike Lyle

"bnd777" wrote in message ...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

[...]
I have had an Acer palmatum dissectum atropurpureum in a pot approximately
18" high and 18" diameter for something like ten years. It flourished

until
this year, when it is beginning to show what I think are signs of being

pot
bound. I water it reasonably regularly and feed it sporadically with
Miracle Gro.

I have a feeling that your strawberry planter might be a little on the
narrow side. What is its diameter?

Franz

Franz .........Acers are suffering this year in the heat and they like rich
compost the odd dose of miracle grow will only help for just so long

Yes: if it isn't vine weevil, it's probably time to change the growing
medium anyhow. I'd say fresh JI, or garden soil mixed with a bit of
compost.

For orange trees grown in Versailles boxes, I believe the potting soil
is changed every year. Think I read it in an RHS book.

Mike.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Franz Heymann

[...]

Actually there is an additional bonus point associated with the fact that
your planter is sheltered against wind: The one thing these acers detest is
a persistent spring wind.
My friendly nurseryman once refused to sell me an acer when he heard that
the proposed site was somewhat windy. He relented when I relocated the
proposed position. I have not regretted it, because mine thrived much
better than that of my neighbour, whose tree is in a more wind-prone place.

Franz