Old 19-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Aphodius

Default Google toolbar

For a while now I and my friends have had the Google toolbar installed on
our computers. If there is still someone out there who doesn't have it
installed and working for them, click on http://toolbar.google.com It will
even stop those dreaded popups, and you can get rid of the IE Address Bar
and use Google instead.

Aphodius

---
All my outgoing mail is certified virus-free.
Program Version: 6.0.504 / Release Date : 26/02/03

Old 19-09-2003, 07:23 PM
Robert

"Aphodius" wrote in message
: For a while now I and my friends have had the Google toolbar installed on
: our computers. If there is still someone out there who doesn't have it
: installed and working for them, click on http://toolbar.google.com It
will
: even stop those dreaded popups, and you can get rid of the IE Address Bar
: and use Google instead.
:
: Aphodius
:
: ---
: All my outgoing mail is certified virus-free.
: Program Version: 6.0.504 / Release Date : 26/02/03
:
and if you like that, you may like this!

:
:
:

Old 19-09-2003, 08:48 PM
Keith Thompson

In message , Aphodius
writes
For a while now I and my friends have had the Google toolbar installed on
our computers. If there is still someone out there who doesn't have it
installed and working for them, click on http://toolbar.google.com It will
even stop those dreaded popups, and you can get rid of the IE Address Bar
and use Google instead.

We've tried this and it looks useful. Have you found a way to make it
search the web UK only?

--
Keith Thompson
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with "arrandragons.co.uk" to
Old 19-09-2003, 11:48 PM

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:40:27 +0100, Keith Thompson
wrote:

In message , Aphodius
writes
For a while now I and my friends have had the Google toolbar installed on
our computers. If there is still someone out there who doesn't have it
installed and working for them, click on http://toolbar.google.com It will
even stop those dreaded popups, and you can get rid of the IE Address Bar
and use Google instead.

We've tried this and it looks useful. Have you found a way to make it
search the web UK only?

Something that seems to work reasonably well on Google is to just add
'uk' (quotes not necessary) to your search terms.
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk
Old 20-09-2003, 06:14 AM
David Moore

"Keith Thompson" wrote in message
In message , Aphodius
writes
For a while now I and my friends have had the Google toolbar installed on
our computers. If there is still someone out there who doesn't have it
installed and working for them, click on http://toolbar.google.com It

will
even stop those dreaded popups, and you can get rid of the IE Address Bar
and use Google instead.

We've tried this and it looks useful. Have you found a way to make it
search the web UK only?

--
Keith Thompson
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with "arrandragons.co.uk"

reply by e-mail.

On the Google toolbar you should see the Google name/logo with a small black
triangle to the right of it. Click on this and a drop down menu appears. Go
to "Options" and choose google.co.uk from the drop down menu.

Old 20-09-2003, 07:04 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , David Moore
writes
"Keith Thompson" wrote in message
. ..
In message , Aphodius
writes

and use Google instead.

We've tried this and it looks useful. Have you found a way to make it
search the web UK only?

On the Google toolbar you should see the Google name/logo with a small black
triangle to the right of it. Click on this and a drop down menu appears. Go
to "Options" and choose google.co.uk from the drop down menu.

Despite having done this Google still searches world-wide though it does
present an option at the top of the results to repeat the search with
pages from the UK.

--
dave @ stejonda

to reply by email send to 2003reply at stejonda freeuk com
Old 20-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Sad Sid

"Aphodius" wrote in message
For a while now I and my friends have had the Google toolbar installed on
our computers. If there is still someone out there who doesn't have it
installed and working for them, click on http://toolbar.google.com It

will
even stop those dreaded popups, and you can get rid of the IE Address Bar
and use Google instead.

Doh!
Thought it was too good to be true.
Downloaded and installed - now IE6 shuts down every time I try to search.
I guess I'll have to turf it out (gardening reference?)

Old 20-09-2003, 10:03 AM
jane

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:50:42 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

~In message , David Moore
writes
~"Keith Thompson" wrote in message
.. .
~ In message , Aphodius
~ writes
~
~ and use Google instead.
~
~ We've tried this and it looks useful. Have you found a way to make it
~ search the web UK only?
~
~
~On the Google toolbar you should see the Google name/logo with a small black
~triangle to the right of it. Click on this and a drop down menu appears. Go
~to "Options" and choose google.co.uk from the drop down menu.
~
~Despite having done this Google still searches world-wide though it does
~present an option at the top of the results to repeat the search with
~pages from the UK.
~

I always add site:.uk to my searches on straight google.com and it
only gives you .uk sites. Course, if they are a uk website but using a
..com domain then they don't turn up. But it does work with the rest.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 20-09-2003, 12:24 PM
JennyC

"Sad Sid" .
"Aphodius"
For a while now I and my friends have had the Google toolbar

installed on
our computers. If there is still someone out there who doesn't

have it
installed and working for them, click on http://toolbar.google.com

It
will
even stop those dreaded popups, and you can get rid of the IE

Address Bar
and use Google instead.

Doh!
Thought it was too good to be true.
Downloaded and installed - now IE6 shuts down every time I try to

search.
I guess I'll have to turf it out (gardening reference?)

Google says:
browser randomly crashes. What's up with that?

Do you have other third-party browser plug-ins installed on your
system? Some of these plug-ins don't play so well with the Google
Toolbar (SafariDog is one confirmed example). If you want to continue
using the Google Toolbar, we recommend you uninstall other browser
plug-in software and see if that corrects the problem. We appreciate
your patience while we work on a solution.

HTH Jenny :~))

Old 20-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Aphodius

"Keith Thompson" asked;
Have you found a way to make it search the web UK only?
---

Yes, click on Options, far left of the Google toolbar and on the drop-down
menu scroll down and select www.google.co.uk . Click OK. Easy peasy! Did you
know that using the Google toolbar you have access to a pretty impressive
conversion program? It will quickly convert all manner of things including
dollars into pounds and pounds into euros or vice versa. For anyone working
in banking etc., it's a Godsend.

HTH.
Aphodius

Old 20-09-2003, 02:02 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Aphodius
writes

"Keith Thompson" asked;
Have you found a way to make it search the web UK only?
---

Yes, click on Options, far left of the Google toolbar and on the drop-down
menu scroll down and select www.google.co.uk . Click OK. Easy peasy!

but see my post - this doesn't seem to make the results UK only. :-/

Did you
know that using the Google toolbar you have access to a pretty impressive
conversion program? It will quickly convert all manner of things including
dollars into pounds and pounds into euros or vice versa. For anyone working
in banking etc., it's a Godsend.

not only that - Google has now become a calculator

type 3 * 2 in and it returns 6
type pi in and you get a numerical value of pi
type k in & you'll discover Boltzmann's constant

etc.

Old 20-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Sad Sid

"JennyC" wrote in message
Google says:
browser randomly crashes. What's up with that?

Do you have other third-party browser plug-ins installed on your
system? Some of these plug-ins don't play so well with the Google
Toolbar (SafariDog is one confirmed example). If you want to continue
using the Google Toolbar, we recommend you uninstall other browser
plug-in software and see if that corrects the problem. We appreciate
your patience while we work on a solution.

HTH Jenny :~))

Thanks Jenny!
Sadly, I've got nowt but virgin IE6. I'm going to try again without the
feedback to Google enabled - my system is set up like a WW2 pill-box - not
much can get in or out to the Net, which might be why it falls over...

Old 20-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Sad Sid

"Sad Sid" . wrote in message
.. I'm going to try again without the
feedback to Google enabled - my system is set up like a WW2 pill-box - not
much can get in or out to the Net, which might be why it falls over...

Which worked!
Glad to say I can now be all google-eyed like the rest of you.