Old 21-09-2003, 05:22 PM
bnd777

Default another leylandii question

"Mike" wrote in message
I am one of the long suffering neighbours.

My neighbour planted eight leylandii a few years ago along the border of

our
properties. To be fair they keep it trimmed to about 6 feet and I trim my
side to match theirs etc.

The nearest leylandii is only about 3 feet away from the house and I

foresee
future structural problems with the house. Some of the others have

extending
trunks that branch horizontally just below the soil about three feet into

MY
garden.

I cannot grow anything my side of the hedge as its permanently in the

shade
and the leylandii soaks up the water.

I suppose I should be grateful that they are not 30 feet tall and I feel
like telling people who purchase Leylandii at the sheds to consider their
neighbours and if they like it so much to plant it in the middle of their
own gardens.

In my opinion Leylandii are nothing to look at and I suppose people buy

them
as a cheap option.

Mike.

Then just how do you think those who refuse to control their Leylandii

or
any other evergreen hedge should be dealt with

The law gives no redress to the long suffering neighbour on the other

side

---

Mike

You are entitled to dig your side of the boundary and in doing so cut off
ALL roots
If you then slam in old paving slabs on their sides to block path of the
roots you should find some salvation
I agree that legislation on the matter is overdue and you might be cheered
by www.hedgeline.org latest info

---

Old 21-09-2003, 05:42 PM
David @chapelllllhouse.demon.co.uk

In article 3f6d7958.0@entanet, Lyndon Thomas lindenthomas@glowbroadba
nd.net writes
As i have stated in previous threads there is nothing wrong with a leylandii
hedge as long as it is properly maintained.
This rarely hapens, as they are planted to grow a quick barrier, this
happens in just a few years and then reality strikes home when this
wonderful barrier has to be trimmed, the sides nearly always get cut because
it encroches on the garden, the top is seldom cut as this is hard work.The
result a hedge ??? 30,40, or 50ft. tall that becomes a very big problem to
all living close to it. AND I SPEAK FROM EXPERIANCE.

You're talking rubbish, its rare that Leylandii grow out of control,
most are controlled one way or another, its the few that give the whole
a bad name and I also speak from experience.
--
David
Old 21-09-2003, 05:42 PM
David @chapelhouse.demon.co.uk

In article , bnd777
writes

Then just how do you think those who refuse to control their Leylandii or
any other evergreen hedge should be dealt with

The law gives no redress to the long suffering neighbour on the other side

I keep telling you what to do Barry, why don't you do it?

--
David
Old 21-09-2003, 06:02 PM
David @chapelllhouse.demon.co.uk

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes
And also the ones that have caused agro because the owner has cut them
down and their neighbour complains of lack of privacy!

But in that case, the neighbour can regain privacy under his own steam,
no problem) But in the other case the neighbour is stuck with loss of
light and possible structural damage to property and can do nothing
about it ((

Have you ever seen any reports of structural damage Jane? the roots are
shallow and weak, how are they going to cause damage? I think this is a
fallacy, but if anyone has any evidence...

--
David
Old 21-09-2003, 06:02 PM
David @chapelllhouse.demon.co.uk

In article , Mike
writes
I am one of the long suffering neighbours.

My neighbour planted eight leylandii a few years ago along the border of our
properties. To be fair they keep it trimmed to about 6 feet and I trim my
side to match theirs etc.

The nearest leylandii is only about 3 feet away from the house and I foresee
future structural problems with the house. Some of the others have extending
trunks that branch horizontally just below the soil about three feet into MY
garden.

How do you imagine roots just below the surface are going to cause
structural damage? are your foundations just below the surface?

I cannot grow anything my side of the hedge as its permanently in the shade
and the leylandii soaks up the water.

I suppose I should be grateful that they are not 30 feet tall and I feel
like telling people who purchase Leylandii at the sheds to consider their
neighbours and if they like it so much to plant it in the middle of their
own gardens.

In my opinion Leylandii are nothing to look at and I suppose people buy them
as a cheap option.

No its the fast growth that attracts them, they're not particularly
cheap as "hedging" plants go and FWIW I like the effect especially in
winter when everything else is brown.
--
David

Old 21-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Lyndon Thomas

Sorry David you are talking rubbish, I have just had to help my
father-in-law cut down and remove 60-70ft leylandii that his neighbour
planted and would not do anything with them. You live next to these ludicrus
things with a garden that can-not grow owing to lack of light and nutrients
and perhaps just perhaps you will understand.
Lyndon.

Old 21-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Sacha

in article , David
@chapelllllhouse.demon.co.uk at David @chapelllllhouse.demon.co.uk wrote on
21/9/03 5:32 pm:

In article 3f6d7958.0@entanet, Lyndon Thomas lindenthomas@glowbroadba
nd.net writes
As i have stated in previous threads there is nothing wrong with a leylandii
hedge as long as it is properly maintained.
This rarely hapens, as they are planted to grow a quick barrier, this
happens in just a few years and then reality strikes home when this
wonderful barrier has to be trimmed, the sides nearly always get cut because
it encroches on the garden, the top is seldom cut as this is hard work.The
result a hedge ??? 30,40, or 50ft. tall that becomes a very big problem to
all living close to it. AND I SPEAK FROM EXPERIANCE.

You're talking rubbish, its rare that Leylandii grow out of control,
most are controlled one way or another, its the few that give the whole
a bad name and I also speak from experience.

This is not true. If it were, there wouldn't be even the glimmering of a
beginning to control their use. Of course leylandii are problem plants in
urban and suburban use.
Leylandii are not hedging plants, they are forest trees. All too often,
people use them as 'weapons' against neighbours or people who are not
gardeners or who become too infirm to garden, lose control of them
completely. They can grow to 100' or more, unchecked. Of *course* they
shouldn't be used as hedging plants in suburban circumstances. However,
neatly you trim yours, how do you know that your successor in your house
will do the same?
They take nutrients from the soil and return nothing; they take light and
are an unrelenting slab of boring nothingness, day in, day out. The day I
cut down mine which were about 12' high, was the day my garden gained light,
air and about 8' in width. Of course, it was also the day I realised that I
had to rebuild and re-rail a wall and its railings, which had been pushed
out of shape by the god-awful leylandii which the previous owners of my then
house had planted.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-09-2003, 06:32 PM
David @chapellllhouse.demon.co.uk

In article 3f6dd8d2.0@entanet, Lyndon Thomas lindenthomas@glowbroadba
nd.net writes
Sorry David you are talking rubbish, I have just had to help my
father-in-law cut down and remove 60-70ft leylandii that his neighbour
planted and would not do anything with them. You live next to these ludicrus
things with a garden that can-not grow owing to lack of light and nutrients
and perhaps just perhaps you will understand.
Lyndon.

So that's another *one* then, how many hundreds of thousands are there
out there at the moment not causing a problem, "the exception is proving
the rule". When you've got a moment count how many *actual* cases have
been posted about on here, you'll find the same people keep repeating
the same complaint and some of those have been dealt with but still they
keep coming up.

Have you visited hedgeline? read that with an un-jaundiced eye and you
will find the growth and nuisance value of Leyldandii is only a part of
what they cover and even then the number of complaints in total on the
site is tiny compared to the number of hedges in the UK.

The whole thing is blown out of all proportion and is not dealing with
the real issue of problem neighbours, the laws ought to deal with
antisocial behaviour not get hung up on what tools are used.

--
David
Old 21-09-2003, 07:02 PM
David @chapelllhouse.demon.co.uk

In article , Sacha
writes
This is not true. If it were, there wouldn't be even the glimmering of a
beginning to control their use. Of course leylandii are problem plants in
urban and suburban use.

I think the cases that have been highlighted are so extreme that it was
felt something had to be done, look at the numbers though Sacha, the
problems are very much in the minority.

Leylandii are not hedging plants, they are forest trees. All too often,
people use them as 'weapons' against neighbours or people who are not
gardeners or who become too infirm to garden, lose control of them
completely. They can grow to 100' or more, unchecked. Of *course* they
shouldn't be used as hedging plants in suburban circumstances. However,
neatly you trim yours, how do you know that your successor in your house
will do the same?

As ours are on our southern aspect, I don't foresee that being much of a
problem and as there isn't a neighbour the other side of them it would
be shooting one's self in the foot wouldn't it :-)

They take nutrients from the soil and return nothing; they take light and
are an unrelenting slab of boring nothingness, day in, day out. The day I
cut down mine which were about 12' high, was the day my garden gained light,
air and about 8' in width.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, I like them as a backdrop,
especially in winter. I find the Laurel on my other boundary has created
more of a dead zone, at least the lawn grows right up to the Leylandii.
Mine are just under 6' and about 3' ft in width IMO yours were out of
control but that is just IMO as I don't know your situation.

Of course, it was also the day I realised that I
had to rebuild and re-rail a wall and its railings, which had been pushed
out of shape by the god-awful leylandii which the previous owners of my then
house had planted.

Can you honestly say that its only Leylandii that would cause damage
like that though? you should give thought to the position of everything
you plant, many structural problems are caused by trees being planted
too close to buildings, perhaps there ought to be laws concerning that,
I'm certainly concerned about the huge Sycamores along my northern
boundary less than 5m from the buildings

--
David
Old 21-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article 3f6dd8d2.0@entanet, Lyndon Thomas lindenthomas@glowbroadba
nd.net writes
Sorry David you are talking rubbish, I have just had to help my
father-in-law cut down and remove 60-70ft leylandii that his neighbour
planted and would not do anything with them. You live next to these ludicrus
things with a garden that can-not grow owing to lack of light and nutrients
and perhaps just perhaps you will understand.
Lyndon.

One experience does not create a general rule. There are many (over a
dozen) well trimmed leylandii hedges around us, between 5 and 8 ft and
kept neat and tidy.

There's just two that are taller than that - one is the one we trim to
about 12 ft to hide the monstrosity of a church next door, and the other
one is the one the church doesn't trim at all which is alongside our
front garden. And I couldn't care a damn about it.

Besides, that's where the goldcrests live :-)

David @chapelllllhouse.demon.co.uk wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 21-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes
in article , David
[...]

But so are beech. And yet they are recommended for hedges - I think you
maybe have recommended them yourself ;-)

All too often,
people use them as 'weapons' against neighbours or people who are not
gardeners or who become too infirm to garden, lose control of them
completely. They can grow to 100' or more, unchecked. Of *course* they
shouldn't be used as hedging plants in suburban circumstances. However,
neatly you trim yours, how do you know that your successor in your house
will do the same?

All that applies equally to other forest trees used as hedges - the only
difference is that leylandii grow more quickly. And you cannot take
account of what your successor may do, any more than you can prevent him
from playing loud music all through the night!

They take nutrients from the soil and return nothing;

They are like other hedges in that respect.

they take light and
are an unrelenting slab of boring nothingness, day in, day out.

That is a matter of opinion.

The day I
cut down mine which were about 12' high, was the day my garden gained light,
air and about 8' in width. Of course, it was also the day I realised that I
had to rebuild and re-rail a wall and its railings, which had been pushed
out of shape by the god-awful leylandii which the previous owners of my then
house had planted.

The only wall problem I am having is with a bay tree!

There are many ways in which bloody-minded neighbours can make
themselves objectionable. Over-reaction to the well publicised
complaints of those whose b-m n's choose leylandii as a weapon threatens
to deprive other a much needed privacy screen in cases where it's not
doing any harm to anyone. I'm quite happy for there to be legislation to
enable a reasonable compromise between one person's desire for privacy
and another's desire for a sunny garden, but hysterical one-size-fits-
all rulings on the lines of 'no leylandii' or 'no hedges over 6 ft' does
a lot of us no favours at all. We can't all live in the country or in
leafy suburbs - some of us can afford the house we want only if we put
up with a less desirable location - next to a warehouse, for example.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 21-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Sad Sid

My neighbour to the West has a "traditional" mixed hedge which he is
forever
trimming. Despite this it is full of bramble, bindweed and nettle.

Which is the more wildlife friendly I wonder? ;-)

The unsightly mess, without a doubt. Slugs, in particular, live there in
vast numbers.

My preferred solution is to have dedicated areas in the garden given over to
wildlife. These have both introduced and wild plantings, along with log
piles, reed stacks, old galvanised buckets & terracotta pots, and piles of
old breeze-blocks & bricks with crevice planting. They are screened off with
buddleja hedging. This gives me areas which are clearly cultivated and areas
which are rampant with wildlife.

Old 21-09-2003, 08:03 PM
David @chapelllhouse.demon.co.uk

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes

I'm sorry you have had a bad experience. But just because you have had a
bad experience doesn't mean to say everyone should be banned from having
leylandii.

It would be interesting to gather the statistics of the number that
cause no agro and the number that cause agro!

It would be "no contest", the number of hedges in control would "dwarf"
the others
--
David
Old 21-09-2003, 08:23 PM
PK

David @chapellllhouse.demon.co.uk wrote:

The whole thing is blown out of all proportion and is not dealing with
the real issue of problem neighbours, the laws ought to deal with
antisocial behaviour not get hung up on what tools are used.

a very simple treatment of boundary hedges along the same lines as boundary
walls would be fair and equitable to all. No need to outlaw Leylandii. Just
restrict evergreen boundary hedges to the same 2m limit that applies to
boundary walls.

Now, walls 2 need permission before installation. without planning consent
they can be ordered to be removed or lowered. Hedges need no consent, hence
the need for the proposed law to give a reasonable right of redress to those
affected by the antisocial action of others.

pk

Old 21-09-2003, 09:32 PM
ned

bnd777 wrote:

snip
Only hope you have not created a neighbour problem in the making
with a Leylandii hedge

;-)
You really do have a prejudice against leylandii, don't you.
Not all leylandii cause problems.
My neighbour and I share 120 feet of 8 foot high leylandii hedge
without problems.

--
ned

COLUMN TYPE LEYLANDII alan kearn United Kingdom 3 25-03-2003 11:32 PM
[IBC] Leylandii Cypress Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 10:55 PM
Leylandii Cypress ss Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 09:25 PM
using an angle-grinder to cut down live Leylandii dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 48 20-12-2002 12:11 AM
Leylandii - Its days are numbered! Drakanthus United Kingdom 49 18-12-2002 02:21 AM