Old 01-10-2003, 06:02 PM
martin

Default Growing seeds from Limes

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 17:12:04 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:27:42 +0100, R. McGeddon
wrote:

I grew eleven seedlings. Fifteen of which I still have.

Now - work that out!

You've beaten me there.

It sounds like my aunt wh had three and a half-dozen children.

Some of them were twins, and when I dropped the shelf the pots were on,
the twins turned out not to be siamese.

and not Bill and Ben after all?

Nor Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds

She got a dose of GM and fade away overnight.

blobadobflobagook
--
Martin
Old 01-10-2003, 08:12 PM
David Hill

"...........I grew eleven seedlings. Fifteen of which I still
have..........."

Hate to bring this back towards topic

Citrus will have some seeds that will throw 2 plants from the one seed, One
of these two will grow to be a genetic copy of its mother plant, the other
seedling and the single plants from seed won't be true, though they may
still produce an interesting plant.
So from the 11 seeds 4 of them produced double plants, that is assuming that
there were no deaths.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 01-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Macabre of Clandestine

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

And he said:

Hate to bring this back towards topic

Citrus will have some seeds that will throw 2 plants from the one seed, One
of these two will grow to be a genetic copy of its mother plant, the other
seedling and the single plants from seed won't be true, though they may
still produce an interesting plant.
So from the 11 seeds 4 of them produced double plants, that is assuming that
there were no deaths.

And I said:

Interesting, that. Many moons ago I used to aim questions at the British
Museum of Natural History, and they always replied very promptly,
sometimes by return.

Since botany and mycology have been hived-off to Kew, I've had
absolutely no joy. Letters (including s.a.e.) go unanswered.

I asked them about these pips: one seedling took off (in a manner of
speaking) and was up to two feet high before some of the others were
more than three inches in height. The 'rocket' started growing thorns
where the leaves meet the stem, while none of the others did. However,
one has started growing them, but several months after the first one.
None of the others has, yet.

I also asked about other things which ought to have been well within
their scope. For instance, would I be right in thinking that as the
temperature in the Middle-Eastern deserts often drops to something very
cold at night, date palms ought to be hardy here? (I have about ten of
those.)

Also, as mangoes grow well up into the Himalayas, is there any chance
that these might be hardy? I wouldn't expect the fruit to ripen, but a
mango tree would be fun.

I throw the forum open to Urglers.

--
Mac the NiFe
'Gin a body meet a body'
Old 02-10-2003, 07:56 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Macabre of Clandestine
writes
I also asked about other things which ought to have been well within
their scope. For instance, would I be right in thinking that as the
temperature in the Middle-Eastern deserts often drops to something very
cold at night, date palms ought to be hardy here? (I have about ten of
those.)

hardiness isn't just about absolute temperature. Our winters are not
only cold-ish, they have low light levels and high moisture levels. Many
cacti will survive freezing temperatures, for example, but only if they
are bone dry. Plant them in a british garden, and they will dissolve
into a heap of mush.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 02-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Macabre of Clandestine
writes
I also asked about other things which ought to have been well within
their scope. For instance, would I be right in thinking that as the
temperature in the Middle-Eastern deserts often drops to something very
cold at night, date palms ought to be hardy here? (I have about ten of
those.)

hardiness isn't just about absolute temperature. Our winters are not
only cold-ish, they have low light levels and high moisture levels. Many
cacti will survive freezing temperatures, for example, but only if they
are bone dry. Plant them in a british garden, and they will dissolve
into a heap of mush.

Yes. And the same applies to the summers. A fair number of plants
will not ripen their wood, develeop adequate tubers, or whatever,
in our miserable summers. That can cause them to fail as much as
the winter. More plants are sensitive to the long, cool, wet, dark
winters, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Australian Finger Limes Cactusrequiem Australia 0 08-02-2007 12:59 AM
Natiive Limes RooBoy Australia 4 04-08-2006 08:02 AM
Tahitian Lime tree not producing limes. Peter Jason Gardening 3 14-09-2004 01:46 AM
Tahitian limes ripening times Adrian B Australia 1 26-03-2004 09:06 AM
Tahitian limes ripening times Adrian B Australia 0 25-03-2004 10:52 PM