Old 29-09-2003, 08:03 PM
GrimReaper

Default Growing seeds from Limes

How would one go about grow plants from the seeds you find in limes?

Regards
GrimReaper

---
All Outgoing mail is checked by AVG Anti Virus
Old 29-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , GrimReaper wrote:
How would one go about grow plants from the seeds you find in limes?

Much like the ones you find in lemons or oranges :-)

I recommend sterilising them and some kitchen roll in diluted bleach,
germinating them on that (kept only just damp) in a small container
covered with cling film. As soon as they have germinated, plant
them in well-drained ericaceous compost and keep damp, warm and light.
But do NOT overwater or overheat them.

I am not good at growing seeds directly in compost, which is why I
do them that way :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-09-2003, 09:12 PM
GrimReaper

Nick
Thanks for your reply but can you do what you suggest straight from the
fruit or do you have to dry the seeds out first?

Regards
GrimReaper

---
All Outgoing mail is checked by AVG Anti Virus

Old 29-09-2003, 09:32 PM
R. McGeddon

The message
from "GrimReaper" contains these words:

How would one go about grow plants from the seeds you find in limes?

Oy! Have I an alter-ego?

Do you mean the fruits? Ickle green lemony things?

Got any to spare?

Remove pips from fruit. Wash them. Plant them ¼" to ½" deep in seed
compost, and water with a fungicide like Murphy's - um - Dynacap? - it's
downstairs locked up in the shed and I CBA to go down and look - or what
I did once, covered with Mycil ointment.

Don't use the fungicide more than twice.

You'll have to keep them fairly warm, moist but not too wet. Do not
allow the frost to get at them.

I've grown ten lemon seedlings and one from a supposedly seedless
satsuma this year.

--
Grim Reaper Oh thou! Whatever title suit thee,
Auld Hornie, Satan, Nick, or Clootie. (Burns)
Old 29-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , GrimReaper wrote:
Nick
Thanks for your reply but can you do what you suggest straight from the
fruit or do you have to dry the seeds out first?

Generally, don't dry out the seeds of fleshy fruit before planting
them, though there are exceptions. I believe that citrus germinate
best fresh.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-09-2003, 10:02 PM
GrimReaper

Thank you for your replies. I will have a go.

Oy! Have I an alter-ego?

My first post here. I used to post on Usenet with my real name and e-mail
addy. Learned the hard way.

Best Regards
GrimReaper (II) ahah!!!

---
All Outgoing mail is checked by AVG Anti Virus

Old 29-09-2003, 10:02 PM
GrimReaper

Do you mean the fruits? Ickle green lemony things?
Yes

Got any to spare?

I only have 6 that I got from a Lime in Cyprus recently

Regards
GrimReaper

---
All Outgoing mail is checked by AVG Anti Virus
Old 30-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Franz Heymann

"R. McGeddon" wrote in message
The message
from "GrimReaper" contains these words:

How would one go about grow plants from the seeds you find in limes?

Oy! Have I an alter-ego?

Do you mean the fruits? Ickle green lemony things?

Got any to spare?

Remove pips from fruit. Wash them. Plant them ¼" to ½" deep in seed
compost, and water with a fungicide like Murphy's - um - Dynacap? - it's
downstairs locked up in the shed and I CBA to go down and look - or what
I did once, covered with Mycil ointment.

Don't use the fungicide more than twice.

You'll have to keep them fairly warm, moist but not too wet. Do not
allow the frost to get at them.

I've grown ten lemon seedlings and one from a supposedly seedless
satsuma this year.

I would have thought that that was a biological impossibility, even if the
satsuma did have some seed.

Franz

Old 30-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Franz Heymann

"GrimReaper" wrote in message
Do you mean the fruits? Ickle green lemony things?

Yes

Got any to spare?

I only have 6 that I got from a Lime in Cyprus recently

My wife buys limes weekly at Sainsbury's. Why go toCyprus for them?

Franz

Old 30-09-2003, 08:46 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:

| My wife buys limes weekly at Sainsbury's. Why go toCyprus for them?

Because almost all of the limes sold in this country are seedless.
Look at a few and see!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Franz Heymann" writes:

| My wife buys limes weekly at Sainsbury's. Why go toCyprus for them?

Because almost all of the limes sold in this country are seedless.
Look at a few and see!

True. You only get the occasional one with a seed or two.
So Grim Reaper goes to Cyprus simply to purchase a lime pip?

Franz

Old 30-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Franz Heymann

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"R. McGeddon" wrote in message
[...]

Apologies. Advancing senility caused me to misread the lines to which I
posted that nonsensical reply.

Franz

Old 30-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Franz Heymann

Old 30-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Franz Heymann

"R. McGeddon" wrote in message
[...]

Australian Finger Limes Cactusrequiem Australia 0 08-02-2007 12:59 AM
Natiive Limes RooBoy Australia 4 04-08-2006 08:02 AM
Tahitian Lime tree not producing limes. Peter Jason Gardening 3 14-09-2004 01:46 AM
Tahitian limes ripening times Adrian B Australia 1 26-03-2004 09:06 AM
Tahitian limes ripening times Adrian B Australia 0 25-03-2004 10:52 PM