Old 05-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Derek Turner

Default Squirrels

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 01:31:16 +0100, "William Tasso"
wrote:

throw them over the fence then - let your neighbours deal with them.

they are vermin - they should be shot. I see there is already a recipie in
this thread.

if your assertion is true (and I think it is) then your suggestion is
illegal. Releasing vermin onto someone elses land is a criminal
offence: I'm still waiting for someone to prosecute the RSPCA for it
though.
--
Derek Turner

Outlook Express is worth precisely what you paid for it.

Old 05-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 01:29:36 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 19:29:04 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:
The message
from "al" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
Yes, you need to be careful. Walking into things can definitely
cause a pain in the nuts.

But IIRC, al is of the female persuasion.....

Errrrr ... I am .....!!?! *quick check of nuts* ..... phew ...
still there
....!

Lens of telescope a bit dirty. Sorry.

which is not surprising considering where you have been putting it

I just like watching the funny way you walk.....

is that a telescope or are you just pleased to see me?.............

If it reaches below the knee it's a telescope.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 06-10-2003, 08:23 AM
Derek Turner

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 11:02:41 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

have to bait it, cover it so it looks like a tunnel, the silly beggars have
this desire
to go into tunnels.

Alan, do they do mail order and how much is a trap??

Jane, you need a number 4 Fenn trap, available from any gunsmith or
most agricultutral supplies for about £6.25 each or £74 a dozen.
Using bricks make a chamber big enough for the trap to operate in,
with a pipe at either end to make it 'inviting', set trap and cover
chamber with a roofing tile. IME no need to drown a rat or squirrel
caught in a fenn trap, they've always been dead already.
NB1 traps MUST be checked every 24 hrs at least (by law) if you're
going away, leave them unset
NB2 make sure its a good heavy tile, we wouldn't want curious cats
getting their paws caught, would we?

For some reason sqirrels just can't resist running through the tunnel
vbg

hth

Old 06-10-2003, 08:42 AM

wrote:

[...]

Hilarious you troll prick.

. . . . . . . .

The facts expressed here belong to everybody,
the opinions to me.
The distinction is yours to draw...

/( )`
\ \___ / |
/- _ `-/ '
(/\/ \ \ /\
/ / | ` \
O O ) / |
`-^--'` '
(_.) _ ) /
`.___/` /
`-----' /
----. __ / __ \
----|====O)))==) \) /====
----' `--' `.__,' \
| |
\ /
______( (_ / \______
,' ,-----' | \
`--{__________) \/

I'm a horny devil when riled.

pete who?

-=[ Grim Reaper ]=- 6/97

.""--.._
[] `'--.._
||__ `'-,
`)||_ ```'--.. \
_ /|//} ``--._ |
.'` `'. /////} `\/
/ .""".\ //{///
/ /_ _`\\ // `||
| |(_)(_)|| _// ||
| | /\ )| _///\ ||
| |L====J | / |/ | ||
/ /'-..-' / .'` \ | ||
/ | :: | |_.-` | \ ||
/| `\-::.| | \ | ||
/` `| / | | | / ||
|` \ | / / \ | ||
| `\_| |/ ,.__. \ | ||
/ /` `\ || ||
| . / \|| ||
| | |/ ||
/ / | ( ||
/ . / ) ||
| \ | ||
/ | / ||
|\ / | ||
\ `-._ | / ||
\ ,//`\ /` | ||
///\ \ | \ ||
|||| ) |__/ | ||
|||| `.( | ||
`\\` /` / ||
/` / ||
jgs / | ||
| \ ||
/ | ||
/` \ ||
/` | ||
`-.___,-. .-. ___,' ||
`---'` `'----'`
I need a drink, feel all giddy...hic!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Derek Turner
writes
Jane, you need a number 4 Fenn trap, available from any gunsmith or
most agricultutral supplies for about £6.25 each or £74 a dozen.
Using bricks make a chamber big enough for the trap to operate in,
with a pipe at either end to make it 'inviting', set trap and cover
chamber with a roofing tile. IME no need to drown a rat or squirrel
caught in a fenn trap, they've always been dead already.
NB1 traps MUST be checked every 24 hrs at least (by law) if you're
going away, leave them unset
NB2 make sure its a good heavy tile, we wouldn't want curious cats
getting their paws caught, would we?

For some reason sqirrels just can't resist running through the tunnel

Ta

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 06-10-2003, 11:12 AM
martin

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:27:27 +0100, Jane Ransom
wrote:

In article , Derek Turner
writes
Jane, you need a number 4 Fenn trap, available from any gunsmith or
most agricultutral supplies for about £6.25 each or £74 a dozen.
Using bricks make a chamber big enough for the trap to operate in,
with a pipe at either end to make it 'inviting', set trap and cover
chamber with a roofing tile. IME no need to drown a rat or squirrel
caught in a fenn trap, they've always been dead already.
NB1 traps MUST be checked every 24 hrs at least (by law) if you're
going away, leave them unset
NB2 make sure its a good heavy tile, we wouldn't want curious cats
getting their paws caught, would we?

For some reason sqirrels just can't resist running through the tunnel

Ta

wouldn't a large plastic pipe with a non-return flap leading to the
neighbour's garden or into a sewer solve the problem?
--
Martin
Old 06-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from Derek Turner contains these words:

(Fenn traps)

For some reason sqirrels just can't resist running through the tunnel

Nor can rats and - hedgehogs.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 06-10-2003, 04:22 PM
martin

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:29:46 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from Derek Turner contains these words:

(Fenn traps)

For some reason sqirrels just can't resist running through the tunnel

Nor can rats and - hedgehogs.

Nor can Eurostar...
--
Martin

Old 06-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

wrote:
The message
from Derek Turner contains these words:

(Fenn traps)

For some reason sqirrels just can't resist running through the tunnel

Nor can rats and - hedgehogs.

Nor can Eurostar...

True, but you'd need a bigger trap than a No.4.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

Old 07-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Alan Holmes

"al" wrote in message
"Janice" wrote in message

I wonder if setting a rat trap, baited with peanuts or similar, would

catch
them? Anyone know if that'd work?

Ewwwww ... but then I'd have to dispose of them! I just want to make my
garden a place they don't want to come to ...

There is NO way of detering them, you HAVE to reduce the numbers by
'disposing' of them.

Although, if you were to enclose your entire garden in a cage about 25 feet
high and up to all the boundaries, that might stop them, but you would have
to check the thing daily to see they don't break in.

Alan

Old 07-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Alan Holmes

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Alan Holmes
writes
If you mean a break-back trap, then I would very much doubt that it would
work,
you will have to get a rat/mink trap from mole valley farmers. you don't
even
have to bait it, cover it so it looks like a tunnel, the silly beggars

have
this desire
to go into tunnels.

Alan, do they do mail order and how much is a trap??

Yes, they do mail order, the last two I bought came that way, but you know
what my memory is like, I can't remember how much they were.

I'm sure it was less than twenty pounds, somewhere within the huge pile of
essential pieces of paper in front of me will be the last bill I had!

I can't even remember the phone number, I can describe to you where a
branch is, although you wouldn't really want to travel a 400 mile trip just
for a
trap, would you?(:-)

Alan

What to do with grey squirrels - M Ogilvie pro hunt nut and extremist, adviser for SNH suggests we should eat squirrels! [email protected] United Kingdom 15 19-10-2007 01:34 AM
Baby Squirrels, Was: Saw my first robin today :( zhanataya Gardening 2 08-02-2003 08:24 PM
[IBC] Squirrels dalecochoy Bonsai 3 06-02-2003 11:27 AM
[IBC] ***** [IBC] Squirrels Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 29-01-2003 12:19 AM
Squirrels Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 28-01-2003 02:08 PM