Old 15-10-2003, 11:14 AM
martin

Default Fairy Rings

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:16:39 GMT, Tim Challenger
"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote:

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:46:02 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades wrote:

The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

Come a damp day after a warm period in late summer here and you'll see
loads of people out in the woods collecting baskets of "Schwammerl". I
don't recall ever seeing anything like that in the UK.
I'm sure some do, but nowhere near the scale it happens over here.

No. A long time ago I had to physically defend my basket of mushrooms
from some concerned woman who 'knew' that they were toadstools, and
therefore poisonous.

The only edible fungus that grows in the UK is the supermarket champignon.
Everything else is deadly poisonous. I thought everyone knew that?

You are just trying to keep all the others to yourself :-)
--
Martin
Old 15-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Mary Fisher

The only edible fungus that grows in the UK is the supermarket champignon.
Everything else is deadly poisonous. I thought everyone knew that?

:-)))))

Mary
--
Tim.

Old 15-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Coo yes - Amanita muscaria without a doubt. It was this mushroom the
Norsemen took before going berserk.

Evidence?

Learned tomes on the subject. Dr. John Ramsbottom (Onetime Curator of
Dept. of Mycology, British Museum of Natural History) refers to it,
though cautiously, in Mushrooms and Toadstools in Collins' New
Naturalist series.

Was Ramsbottom there then?

Probably. I got the book (my request) as a school prize for best
'o'-level results. Now, my beard is white and my hair is - er - sparse,
and I remember seeing a doodle-bug being shot down. Rasbottom would have
been considerably older.....

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 15-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

No. A long time ago I had to physically defend my basket of mushrooms
from some concerned woman who 'knew' that they were toadstools, and
therefore poisonous.

The only edible fungus that grows in the UK is the supermarket champignon.
Everything else is deadly poisonous. I thought everyone knew that?

B far: some people eat yeast products.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 15-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Mary Fisher

Was Ramsbottom there then?

Probably. I got the book (my request) as a school prize for best
'o'-level results. Now, my beard is white and my hair is - er - sparse,
and I remember seeing a doodle-bug being shot down. Rasbottom would have
been considerably older.....

My beard isn't white, my hair isn't sparse and I don't remember seeing a
doodlebug being shot down.

Even so I reckon that you and I must be about the samew vintage - i.e. pre
war.

But I have researched viking life quite seriously and from time to time live
it. None of us uses anything other than mead or ale for mind enhancing
properties - nor have I heard of such a thing as that foreign name you used

Mary

Old 15-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Mary Fisher

The only edible fungus that grows in the UK is the supermarket

champignon.
Everything else is deadly poisonous. I thought everyone knew that?

B far: some people eat yeast products.

Hmm

Some folk ...

Mary

Old 15-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

Was Ramsbottom there then?

Probably. I got the book (my request) as a school prize for best
'o'-level results. Now, my beard is white and my hair is - er - sparse,
and I remember seeing a doodle-bug being shot down. Rasbottom would have
been considerably older.....

My beard isn't white, my hair isn't sparse and I don't remember seeing a
doodlebug being shot down.

Even so I reckon that you and I must be about the samew vintage - i.e. pre
war.

But I have researched viking life quite seriously and from time to time live
it. None of us uses anything other than mead or ale for mind enhancing
properties - nor have I heard of such a thing as that foreign name you used

I have read about the Lapps using Amanita muscaria to gather in their
reindeer. The reindeer apparently get high on it in a literal sense too
- they leap high in the air, thought to be the origin of the Santa Claus
reindeer. Have you come across that one in your researches?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 15-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Mary Fisher

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
[...]

Oh yes, but that doesn't mean that the vikings used it ... :-)

Mary
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 16-10-2003, 08:03 AM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:44:38 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades wrote:

The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

No. A long time ago I had to physically defend my basket of mushrooms
from some concerned woman who 'knew' that they were toadstools, and
therefore poisonous.

The only edible fungus that grows in the UK is the supermarket champignon.
Everything else is deadly poisonous. I thought everyone knew that?

B far: some people eat yeast products.

I normally drink yeast products. Quite often far too much.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old 16-10-2003, 10:02 AM
martin

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 06:47:04 GMT, Tim Challenger
"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote:

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:44:38 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades wrote:

The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

No. A long time ago I had to physically defend my basket of mushrooms
from some concerned woman who 'knew' that they were toadstools, and
therefore poisonous.

The only edible fungus that grows in the UK is the supermarket champignon.
Everything else is deadly poisonous. I thought everyone knew that?

B far: some people eat yeast products.

I normally drink yeast products. Quite often far too much.

and eat chip butties?
--
Martin

Old 16-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

But I have researched viking life quite seriously and from time to time live
it.

Have you had the pleasure of meeting a berserkr?

None of us uses anything other than mead or ale for mind enhancing
properties - nor have I heard of such a thing as that foreign name you used

Fly agaric? Bug agaric? The Lapps routinely still use it as a
mind-altering substance.

(FSVO Lapps)

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 16-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

The only edible fungus that grows in the UK is the supermarket

champignon.
Everything else is deadly poisonous. I thought everyone knew that?

B far: some people eat yeast products.

(Letters fell orft - should read: 'Be fair:' Ed)

Hmm

Some folk ...

Bread, marmite, (brewed) ginger beer, Quorn .....

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

fairy rings Carl 1 Lucky Texan Gardening 11 03-05-2006 05:30 PM
Fairy Rings ????? rain made them worse nambucca United Kingdom 9 29-04-2005 09:29 PM
Fairy Rings Dave Lawns 5 17-07-2004 02:08 AM
Fairy Rings nambucca United Kingdom 12 15-06-2004 11:13 PM
Fairy Rings in Lawns Mervyn Thomas United Kingdom 4 06-05-2004 11:56 PM