Old 10-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Pen Phill

Default Fairy Rings

Subject: Fairy Rings
From: Jaques d'Altrades
Date: 10/10/03 00:20 Romance Daylight Time
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Since there is at least one non-edible species which has the same growth
habit, please do check and make absolutely certain that your soecimens are
true Fairy Rings befoere eating them. There will quite certainly be folk

in
your neighborhood who will know for certain what you have on your lawn.

Did you look at the picture? Agaricus campestris or A. arvensis I'd say
- certainly not Merasmius oreades.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

I think I will look that up. Looks a nice long Latin name! They were certainly
tasty whatever their name. I don't know about maximising the crop as they seem
to be COMMON here. I took some of mine over to my neighbour to check they were
OK as suggested and they were even growing on the grass verge where I was
standing!
Another friend collected 7 kilos is as many minutes from a nearby field. The
French though are VERY au fait with the different fungi though. I have a very
pretty red one growing in the lawn as well...got white spots
on...................

Phil
Old 11-10-2003, 11:12 PM
R. McGeddon

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Edible mushrooms and puffballs are one of the things I certainly wouldn't
mind having in my lawn.

Perhaps I should have a lawn ...

Or a cellar full of boxes.....

When I were lad us air-raid shelter were full of mushrooms, 'appen.

--
Grim Reaper Oh thou! Whatever title suit thee,
Auld Hornie, Satan, Nick, or Clootie. (Burns)
Old 11-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from iljunk (Pen Phill) contains these words:

Did you look at the picture? Agaricus campestris or A. arvensis I'd say
- certainly not Merasmius oreades.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

I think I will look that up. Looks a nice long Latin name! They were
certainly
tasty whatever their name. I don't know about maximising the crop as
they seem
to be COMMON here. I took some of mine over to my neighbour to check
they were
OK as suggested and they were even growing on the grass verge where I was
standing!
Another friend collected 7 kilos is as many minutes from a nearby field. The
French though are VERY au fait with the different fungi though.

You can salt the young caps, or preserve them in oil. Your neighbours
would show you how.

I have a very
pretty red one growing in the lawn as well...got white spots
on...................

Unlikely. Amanite muscaria grows in and on the margins/clearings of woodland.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 12-10-2003, 10:02 AM
martin

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:36:31 +0100, R. McGeddon
wrote:

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Edible mushrooms and puffballs are one of the things I certainly wouldn't
mind having in my lawn.

Perhaps I should have a lawn ...

Or a cellar full of boxes.....

When I were lad us air-raid shelter were full of mushrooms, 'appen.

trench foot or what? :-)
--
Martin
Old 12-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Pen Phill

From: Jaques d'Altrades
Date: 11/10/03 18:43 Romance Daylight Time
The message
from
iljunk (Pen Phill) contains these words:

Did you look at the picture? Agaricus campestris or A. arvensis I'd say
- certainly not Merasmius oreades.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

I think I will look that up. Looks a nice long Latin name! They were
certainly
tasty whatever their name. I don't know about maximising the crop as
they seem
to be COMMON here. I took some of mine over to my neighbour to check
they were
OK as suggested and they were even growing on the grass verge where I was
standing!

(bit snipped)
I have a very
pretty red one growing in the lawn as well...got white spots
on...................

Unlikely. Amanite muscaria grows in and on the margins/clearings of woodland.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

No...Really.......I have.....

Look...

http://pageperso.aol.fr/Penphill/FA.jpg

Old 12-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Mary Fisher

Perhaps I should have a lawn ...

Or a cellar full of boxes.....

Would that I had a cellar ...

When I were lad us air-raid shelter were full of mushrooms, 'appen.

Aye ... I remember it well ...

Mary

Old 12-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from iljunk (Pen Phill) contains these words:

Unlikely. Amanite muscaria grows in and on the margins/clearings of
woodland.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk

No...Really.......I have.....

Look...

Coo yes - Amanita muscaria without a doubt. It was this mushroom the
Norsemen took before going berserk. It is hallucogenic, and overuse can
lead to madness, and an overdose can be fatal.

I've never tried it and I have no intention of doing so, but it is said
that after peeling it is safe to eat, which is probably where the old
wives' tale of peeling as a test for edibility. (Amanita phalloides, A.
verna and A. virosa all peel, and they are amongst the most deadly
mushrooms known.)

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 13-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Mary Fisher

Coo yes - Amanita muscaria without a doubt. It was this mushroom the
Norsemen took before going berserk.

Evidence?

Mary

Old 14-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Coo yes - Amanita muscaria without a doubt. It was this mushroom the
Norsemen took before going berserk.

Evidence?

Learned tomes on the subject. Dr. John Ramsbottom (Onetime Curator of
Dept. of Mycology, British Museum of Natural History) refers to it,
though cautiously, in Mushrooms and Toadstools in Collins' New
Naturalist series.

I have about twenty mycological books and I'm not trawling through the
rest to find references. I haven't visited the Shed yet, and it's nearly
nine already!

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 14-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Tim Challenger

On 10 Oct 2003 17:49:11 GMT, Pen Phill wrote:

French though are VERY au fait with the different fungi though.

The Austrians too. I think it's more a case that the Brits are not "au
fait" with mushrooms.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Old 14-10-2003, 11:42 AM
martin

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:23:08 GMT, Tim Challenger
"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote:

On 10 Oct 2003 17:49:11 GMT, Pen Phill wrote:

French though are VERY au fait with the different fungi though.

The Austrians too.

Not forgetting the Italians

I think it's more a case that the Brits are not "au
fait" with mushrooms.

Some Brits are, the others die.
--
Martin
Old 14-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:35:52 +0200, martin wrote:

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:23:08 GMT, Tim Challenger
"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote:

On 10 Oct 2003 17:49:11 GMT, Pen Phill wrote:

French though are VERY au fait with the different fungi though.

The Austrians too.

Not forgetting the Italians

I think it's more a case that the Brits are not "au
fait" with mushrooms.

Some Brits are, the others die.

:-)
Like the two sorts of pedestrians: the quick and the dead.

Come a damp day after a warm period in late summer here and you'll see
loads of people out in the woods collecting baskets of "Schwammerl". I
don't recall ever seeing anything like that in the UK.
I'm sure some do, but nowhere near the scale it happens over here.

Old 14-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

Come a damp day after a warm period in late summer here and you'll see
loads of people out in the woods collecting baskets of "Schwammerl". I
don't recall ever seeing anything like that in the UK.
I'm sure some do, but nowhere near the scale it happens over here.

No. A long time ago I had to physically defend my basket of mushrooms
from some concerned woman who 'knew' that they were toadstools, and
therefore poisonous.

--
Rusty Hinge
horrid·squeak&zetnet·co·uk
Old 14-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Mary Fisher

Coo yes - Amanita muscaria without a doubt. It was this mushroom the
Norsemen took before going berserk.

Evidence?

Learned tomes on the subject. Dr. John Ramsbottom (Onetime Curator of
Dept. of Mycology, British Museum of Natural History) refers to it,
though cautiously, in Mushrooms and Toadstools in Collins' New
Naturalist series.

Was Ramsbottom there then?

Mary

Old 15-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:46:02 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades wrote:

The message m
from Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" contains
these words:

Come a damp day after a warm period in late summer here and you'll see
loads of people out in the woods collecting baskets of "Schwammerl". I
don't recall ever seeing anything like that in the UK.
I'm sure some do, but nowhere near the scale it happens over here.

No. A long time ago I had to physically defend my basket of mushrooms
from some concerned woman who 'knew' that they were toadstools, and
therefore poisonous.

The only edible fungus that grows in the UK is the supermarket champignon.
Everything else is deadly poisonous. I thought everyone knew that?
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

fairy rings Carl 1 Lucky Texan Gardening 11 03-05-2006 05:30 PM
Fairy Rings ????? rain made them worse nambucca United Kingdom 9 29-04-2005 09:29 PM
Fairy Rings Dave Lawns 5 17-07-2004 02:08 AM
Fairy Rings nambucca United Kingdom 12 15-06-2004 11:13 PM
Fairy Rings in Lawns Mervyn Thomas United Kingdom 4 06-05-2004 11:56 PM