Old 27-10-2003, 08:42 AM
Mac

Default what should i plant

i have just finished the garden to the front and have two small terraces. i
am looking for perennial flowering plants or small shrubs to give me colour
thoughout the year. if poss would like some to attract butterflies & bees.
so far have thought of:

hebe, crocus, snowdrop, daffs, tulip, cosmos & tom thumb fuscia

all suggestions welcome. please reply to newsgroups.

thanks in advance.

mac

Old 27-10-2003, 09:22 AM
The Hoopeses

Sedum 'Autumn Joy' has worked well for me. It's hardy, provides
year-round interest, if not color per se, and the bees seem to love it.
I actually noticed several different types of bees flocking to it this
past summer. Usually I don't deadhead the flowers until late winter or
early spring, so the plants look like bouquets of dried flowers through
the winter. It can be quite a nice effect if you have large patches of
the sedum with snow on them.

-
Al

Old 27-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Mac writes
i have just finished the garden to the front and have two small terraces. i
am looking for perennial flowering plants or small shrubs to give me colour
thoughout the year.

Ophiopogon planiscarpus nigrescens

Get the rockery versions of:
Helianthemum
Gypsophila
Miniature creeping cotoneaster
Armeria
Frankenia
Campanula
Hypericum
Erodium

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 27-10-2003, 01:20 PM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac
i have just finished the garden to the front and have two small terraces. i
am looking for perennial flowering plants or small shrubs to give me colour
thoughout the year. if poss would like some to attract butterflies & bees.
so far have thought of:

hebe, crocus, snowdrop, daffs, tulip, cosmos & tom thumb fuscia

all suggestions welcome. please reply to newsgroups.

thanks in advance.

mac
The plant in my garden that the butterflys flock to is the buddleia bush. You don't see it in gardens as much as you used to, but it's still easy enough to find. It can grow quite big, but it doesn't really block out light and the spread is not excessive. You can also keep it in bloom all season long by chopping off the dead flowers as they fade (in fact, both of mine still have a few lingering racemes of fresh flowers on them).
Old 27-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Jane Ransom

In article m, Bry
writes
Mac wrote:
*i have just finished the garden to the front and have two small

terraces.
am looking for perennial flowering plants or small shrubs to give me

colour
thoughout the year. if poss would like some to attract butterflies &

bees.

The plant in my garden that the butterflys flock to is the buddleia

bush.

Hardly the plant for a small terrace!!!!!!

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 27-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Jane Ransom
In article m, Bry
writes
Mac wrote:
*i have just finished the garden to the front and have two small

terraces.
am looking for perennial flowering plants or small shrubs to give me

colour
thoughout the year. if poss would like some to attract butterflies &

bees.

The plant in my garden that the butterflys flock to is the buddleia

bush.

Hardly the plant for a small terrace!!!!!!

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

A good point abvout the size, but it has such excellent butterfly and bee attracting abilities is was still worth mentioning. I also was uncertain what a 'small terrace' was, so there's a chance it could be fitted in? I've allways thought buddleia was an average to small bush, mine is years old and only 7-8 foot tall. Besides, you can allways container grow it to keep the size minimal. I expect in a five gallon pot it wouldn't go much over 4 foot?
Old 27-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Victoria Clare

Bry wrote in
s.com:

A good point abvout the size, but it has such excellent butterfly and
bee attracting abilities is was still worth mentioning. I also was
uncertain what a 'small terrace' was, so there's a chance it could be
fitted in? I've allways thought buddleia was an average to small bush,
mine is years old and only 7-8 foot tall. Besides, you can allways
container grow it to keep the size minimal. I expect in a five gallon
pot it wouldn't go much over 4 foot?

I have one that someone stuck in a pot some time ago and I've not got round
to yet. It survives, but it gets much leggier than the ones in the ground.

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 27-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Mac writes
i have just finished the garden to the front and have two small terraces. i
am looking for perennial flowering plants or small shrubs to give me colour
thoughout the year. if poss would like some to attract butterflies & bees.
so far have thought of:

hebe, crocus, snowdrop, daffs, tulip, cosmos & tom thumb fuscia

If the terraces are in the sun and fairly well drained, herbs are good
for bees - thymes in different colours, winter savory (flowers late in
the season) etc.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Kay Easton

In article , The Hoopeses
writes
Sedum 'Autumn Joy' has worked well for me. It's hardy, provides
year-round interest, if not color per se, and the bees seem to love it.
I actually noticed several different types of bees flocking to it this
past summer. Usually I don't deadhead the flowers until late winter or
early spring, so the plants look like bouquets of dried flowers through
the winter. It can be quite a nice effect if you have large patches of
the sedum with snow on them.

If you can get it, plain Sedum spectabile (rather than the cultivar
Autum Joy) will work better for butterflies.
-
Al