Old 01-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Sue da Nimm

Default Totally OT - forgive me!

I'm desperate to recall a name and so far no-one has been able to help.
There are lots of wise heads in this group so please forgive me for going
totally off-topic.
Jakob Grimm wrote a version of the Sorcerer's Apprentice based on the 1790's
poem by Goethe. He gave the sorcerer and apprentice names - does anyone know
them?

Old 01-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Sacha

Jakob Grimm wrote a version of the Sorcerer's Apprentice

If you haven't already done it, perhaps you could try a Google search based
on this:

1808 April 23 Jakob Grimm published a golem story in the "Zeitung fur
Einsiedler (Journal for Hermits)". The story was derived from the 1714
version by Schudt, which was adapted from the 1674 account by C. Arnold. of
R. Eliahu of Chelm.
http://emol.org/para/seferyetzirah/sftime.html
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 01-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Philip

DO NOT REPLY - This is just a hoax to harvest e-mail addresses.

Old 01-11-2003, 08:03 PM

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in message
: I'm desperate to recall a name and so far no-one has been able to help.
: There are lots of wise heads in this group so please forgive me for going
: totally off-topic.
: Jakob Grimm wrote a version of the Sorcerer's Apprentice based on the
1790's
: poem by Goethe. He gave the sorcerer and apprentice names - does anyone
know
: them?
:
:Perhaps they were Sue da Nimms - forgive me!

Old 02-11-2003, 01:33 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Philip" contains these words:

DO NOT REPLY - This is just a hoax to harvest e-mail addresses.

Why do you think that? She didn't ask for private email replies.
Address harvesters don't need to invent their own special threads; and
if they did, they would surely be camouflaged as gardening ones.

Janet

Old 02-11-2003, 08:13 AM
Sue da Nimm

"Philip" wrote in message
.. .
DO NOT REPLY - This is just a hoax to harvest e-mail addresses.

What a sad, suspicious world you live in! Most people in this newsgroup
with-hold their eMail addresses and it is these wiser souls that tend to
have the broadest knowledge and offer the most useful advice. Of course
there are exceptions to the rule - obviously
is one of them!

The reason for the request is that we have an elderly retriever called
Bacchus who is absolutely magic. He has lots of wonderful skills, including
swimming under water to retrieve stones from the sea bed. He's the reason
that we retired to the country and bought extra land adjacent to our
property - a kind of Retriever paradise. But now he is getting a little
frail, although he still keeps on with his usual buccaneering lifestyle..

On Wednesday we are collecting a retriever puppy in the hope that he will
watch and learn from Bacchus - to be the sorcerer's apprentice. Hence the
desperate search for the name.
So far Google, Yahoo, Britannica, the library, Waterstones and Borders have
been searched to no avail.

Old 02-11-2003, 08:13 AM
Sue da Nimm

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Philip" contains these words:

DO NOT REPLY - This is just a hoax to harvest e-mail addresses.

Why do you think that? She didn't ask for private email replies.
Address harvesters don't need to invent their own special threads; and
if they did, they would surely be camouflaged as gardening ones.

Janet

Thank you Janet!
As always a calm, reasoned and sensible reply. One of the reasons why I love
this NG

Old 02-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sue da Nimm
writes

The reason for the request is that we have an elderly retriever called
Bacchus who is absolutely magic. He has lots of wonderful skills,

we are collecting a retriever puppy in the hope that he will
watch and learn from Bacchus - to be the sorcerer's apprentice.

Ha! More like Bacchus will be taught things he never knew, such as
chewing plants, digging up those newly planted and nicking plant pots!

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 02-11-2003, 11:42 AM
jane

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 08:07:45 -0000, "Sue da Nimm"
. wrote:

~
~"Philip" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I've been surfing for this as I can read German websites to some
extent. However, even as far as the total German output of the
Brothers Grimm is concerned, there is no Zauberlehrling mentioned.
http://www.gutenberg2000.de/autoren/grimm.htm
gives all the household tale names and also a later collection of
German folktales that they compiled, but again no luck I'm afraid.
It is very odd it is not mentioned. Have you tried phoning the Goethe
Institute in London? They are the centre for German tuition and
learning in this country and may well have someone who can help!

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 02-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Iris McCanna

"Sue da Nimm" . wrote in message
I'm desperate to recall a name and so far no-one has been able to

help.
There are lots of wise heads in this group so please forgive me for

going
totally off-topic.
Jakob Grimm wrote a version of the Sorcerer's Apprentice based on

the 1790's
poem by Goethe. He gave the sorcerer and apprentice names - does

anyone know
them?

Having had no luck with the name in all our reference books, the
actual original story of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" was written by
Lucian, the Green writer and satirist who lived AD.120 - 180. If all
else fails you could name him Lucian.

Regards
Iris McCanna

(remove the NOT to mail me)
(all outgoing mails certified virus-free)

Old 02-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Anne Wheeldon

. wrote:

[...]

According to this website the boy is called Hans:
http://www.internet-maerchen.de/maerchen/hexelehr.htm
Not a very good name for calling but I suppose you could change it to Hänsi
or something?
Anne

Old 03-11-2003, 08:02 AM
Sue da Nimm

"Anne Wheeldon" wrote in message
news
According to this website the boy is called Hans:
http://www.internet-maerchen.de/maerchen/hexelehr.htm
Not a very good name for calling but I suppose you could change it to
Hänsi
or something?
Anne

Thank you so much! Hans it shall be.
And thank you to the other kind souls who took the time and made the effort
to help. It is really appreciated.

Last thought - Perhaps we should buy two more and call them Knees and
Bumps-a-Daisy ]:O)