Old 27-11-2003, 12:30 AM
Registered User

Location: East Yorkshire
Default York Stone

I bought about 8 to 9 square yards of York stone crazy paving at some sales, all cleaned and ready to use, but as I can't really get it to fit in with the surrounding paving am selling it. Has anyone an idea what it's worth these days?

It's really beautiful, old and just craggy enough to look natural without being too bumpy to walk on. There's various sizes, so it will look good when down. In fact, it's so nice, I'd like to keep the damned stuff - but it just has to go!
__________________
I'm thinking of starting a lawn laying business and calling it Sodding Perfection
Old 27-11-2003, 11:02 AM
nick gray

s.com...

--
Hazell B
I'm thinking of starting a lawn laying business and calling it Sodding
Perfection

From AJ McCormack site (http://www.pavingexpert.com/york01.htm):

Reclaimed ("second-hand") stone pavings command a price of £15 - £40 per
square metre, or more. The better the quality, the higher the price.

Personally I'd get rid of the surrounding paving and replace it with
Yorkstone.

Cheers

Nick

Old 27-11-2003, 12:43 PM
martin

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 00:26:29 GMT, Hazell B
wrote:

I bought about 8 to 9 square yards of York stone crazy paving at some
sales, all cleaned and ready to use, but as I can't really get it to
fit in with the surrounding paving am selling it. Has anyone an idea
what it's worth these days?

It's really beautiful, old and just craggy enough to look natural
without being too bumpy to walk on. There's various sizes, so it will
look good when down. In fact, it's so nice, I'd like to keep the damned
stuff - but it just has to go!

When we were in York two weeks ago I noticed that the local council
had drawn yellow rings around the many holes in the pavements.
Perhaps you have the missing bits?
--
Martin
Old 27-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Kay Easton

In article m, Hazell
B writes
I bought about 8 to 9 square yards of York stone crazy paving at some
sales, all cleaned and ready to use, but as I can't really get it to
fit in with the surrounding paving am selling it. Has anyone an idea
what it's worth these days?

It's worth a lot more down south. Our towns and villages are being
stripped of all their york stone paving by thieves who ferry the stuff
down south to sell on at a high price. Recently we've lost the coping
from every stone wall in the place (including ours), the paving at the
local school, the entire church roof (tiled with stone tiles), and even
the paving surrounding the war memorial.

I'd appeal to anyone buying york stone to check very carefully that it
has come from a legitimate source.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 27-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Sacha

nick gray27/11/03 10:32

s.com...

From AJ McCormack site (http://www.pavingexpert.com/york01.htm):

Reclaimed ("second-hand") stone pavings command a price of £15 - £40 per
square metre, or more. The better the quality, the higher the price.

Personally I'd get rid of the surrounding paving and replace it with
Yorkstone.

Have just seen this. Is it possible to use the York stone by making a
feature of how different it is? Surround e.g. a square, or diamond shape of
the York stone with a border of other stone or mellow brick and bring it in
that way? When making any paved terrace to sit on, it's necessary to
remember (and lots forget!) that it needs to be of a material that will not
cause the table to wobble, spilling precious gin. ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 28-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Registered User

Location: East Yorkshire

Thanks folks.
The stone will have to go, as getting it to fit in with almost a half acre of other paving that's already an eclectic mish-mash is less appealing than cold hard cash at the moment! And the spilling of gin was a serious worry, as it happens!

Oddly, it was bought in York, so maybe I do have some missing historic paving from within the City walls. It was part of a mass lot from a reclaimation firm, so not stolen (something I'm always wary of) for sure.

I'll advertise it for a few weeks and if it doesn't go just buy some more and make a car standing area at the stables with it.
I'm thinking of starting a lawn laying business and calling it Sodding Perfection

Viewing Stones, Flower Stone, Chrysanthemum Stone, ÏÒü£à´ Haeinsuseok Bonsai 0 11-03-2007 03:41 AM
to stone or not to stone..... JerseyMike Lawns 10 30-11-2006 01:26 AM
York stone Bob Smith United Kingdom 0 28-06-2004 03:16 PM
Matching stone chipping colours to stone circle al United Kingdom 0 23-11-2003 06:03 PM