Old 29-11-2003, 01:43 PM
martin

Default eu regulations

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 13:31:18 +0000, John Towill
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:02:25 GMT, Janet Baraclough wrote:

Snip
Anything to oblige, Rodger. There are numerous apocryphal tales of EU
regulations, like "henceforward, bananas must be straight not bent",
which are just that. Urban legend. I suspect the one-size condoms are,
er, a load of old codswallop.

Janet.

So THAT is why they are called cod-pieces!

Fish fingers were originally going to be called cod pieces.
--
Martin
Old 29-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Stephen Howard

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:27:22 +0100, martin wrote:

The Romans got kicked out...

The Danes got kicked out........

Surely not - we do what we've always done, absorb them.
I mean, curry's practically our national dish now... and we make a
better Brie

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 29-11-2003, 03:22 PM
martin

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:42:50 +0000, Stephen Howard
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:27:22 +0100, martin wrote:

The Romans got kicked out...

The Danes got kicked out........

Surely not - we do what we've always done, absorb them.
I mean, curry's practically our national dish now... and we make a
better Brie

but not good Danish pastries!

According to the BBC, William the Conqueror slaughtered most of them.

--
Martin
Old 29-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from John Towill contains these words:

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:02:25 GMT, Janet Baraclough wrote:

Snip
Anything to oblige, Rodger. There are numerous apocryphal tales of EU
regulations, like "henceforward, bananas must be straight not bent",
which are just that. Urban legend. I suspect the one-size condoms are,
er, a load of old codswallop.

Janet.

So THAT is why they are called cod-pieces!

Early condoms were made from fish skin.

Janet.
Old 29-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:27:22 +0100, martin wrote:

The Romans got kicked out...

The Danes got kicked out........

Surely not - we do what we've always done, absorb them.
I mean, curry's practically our national dish now... and we make a
better Brie

You mean that stuff from the south west? Very pleasant but about as much
like brie as Danish Blue is like Stilton.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Old 29-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from John Towill contains these words:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:02:25 GMT, Janet Baraclough wrote:

Snip
Anything to oblige, Rodger. There are numerous apocryphal tales of EU
regulations, like "henceforward, bananas must be straight not bent",
which are just that. Urban legend. I suspect the one-size condoms are,
er, a load of old codswallop.

Janet.

So THAT is why they are called cod-pieces!

Early condoms were made from fish skin.

Early condoms were made from very thin leather, usually sheepskin, or
from the covering of sheep's small intestines.

Cod is Anglo-Saxon for a pocket or pouch.

Old 29-11-2003, 11:15 PM
martin

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 18:06:04 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from John Towill contains these words:

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:02:25 GMT, Janet Baraclough wrote:

Snip
Anything to oblige, Rodger. There are numerous apocryphal tales of EU
regulations, like "henceforward, bananas must be straight not bent",
which are just that. Urban legend. I suspect the one-size condoms are,
er, a load of old codswallop.

Janet.

So THAT is why they are called cod-pieces!

Early condoms were made from fish skin.

before the French recycled letters.
--
Martin
Old 29-11-2003, 11:15 PM
martin

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 19:47:04 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from John Towill contains these words:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:02:25 GMT, Janet Baraclough wrote:

Snip
Anything to oblige, Rodger. There are numerous apocryphal tales of EU
regulations, like "henceforward, bananas must be straight not bent",
which are just that. Urban legend. I suspect the one-size condoms are,
er, a load of old codswallop.

Janet.
So THAT is why they are called cod-pieces!

Early condoms were made from fish skin.

Early condoms were made from very thin leather, usually sheepskin, or
from the covering of sheep's small intestines.

Cod is Anglo-Saxon for a pocket or pouch.

A bit of condom history,
http://www.eros-uk.co.uk/History_of_Condoms.html
It's commonly reckoned that the first condoms were made from dried
sheep's intestines and used by Roman soldiers to protect themselves
from disease while "mixing with the natives" on long marches away from
home. Over the following 1,500 years or so, various accounts exist of
condoms being made from materials as diverse as linen and animal gut.

Some say that a courtier of King Charles II invented the condom in the
1600's and it is claimed that the great womaniser, Casanova, was a
condom user.

The first documented manufacture of the condom as we know it today is
attributed to Goodyear and Hancock, in the 1840's, who invented the
vulcanisation process.

--
Martin

Old 29-11-2003, 11:16 PM
martin

wrote:

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from John Towill contains these words:
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:02:25 GMT, Janet Baraclough wrote:

Snip
Anything to oblige, Rodger. There are numerous apocryphal tales of EU
regulations, like "henceforward, bananas must be straight not bent",
which are just that. Urban legend. I suspect the one-size condoms are,
er, a load of old codswallop.

Janet.
So THAT is why they are called cod-pieces!

Early condoms were made from fish skin.

Early condoms were made from very thin leather, usually sheepskin, or
from the covering of sheep's small intestines.

amongst other materials tortoise shells!
http://homepages.primex.co.uk/~lesleyah/ocbcond.htm
--
Martin
Old 30-11-2003, 02:25 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

The first documented manufacture of the condom as we know it today is
attributed to Goodyear and Hancock, in the 1840's, who invented the
vulcanisation process.

But these were not very successful because nobody wanted a huge
delta-winged condom.

Old 30-11-2003, 06:12 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 00:48:54 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

The first documented manufacture of the condom as we know it today is
attributed to Goodyear and Hancock, in the 1840's, who invented the
vulcanisation process.

But these were not very successful because nobody wanted a huge
delta-winged condom.

I amuse my pharmacist and his staff from time to time by asking
if they've gotten in those special condoms I want so badly, you
know, the purple ones in size XXS with the little hand on the
end.

He always gives an inscrutable smile (he's a very nice Chinese
guy from Singapore) and says no, not yet.

ObGardening: Two kinds of snowdrops in flower at the moment. One
clump was grown from seed as Galanthus reginae-olgae and has been
in flower for two or three weeks. Frankly, its flowers are
squinny and don't amount to much. The other group came from God
knows where, is just coming into flower, and has a more rounded
flower of much better appearance, with some hints of leaves
emerging. I've got the galanthus book around here somewhere, but
I'm lazy and wonder if these descriptions ring bells with any of
the urglers.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada