Old 28-11-2003, 11:38 AM
trufflesdad

Default eu regulations

I have just received a load of farm manure for my allotment...The farmer
told me if I wanted any more I must get it before 2004 as the EU were
regarding it as toxic waste and it would need a special licence to be
transported on the public highway...This licence would be specific to the
driver and as he employs casual labour he could not afford all the fees...
Wonder if anyone else has heard about this and if so what can be done
about it....
--
Regards
Ted Wager

Old 28-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article om, trufflesdad writes:
| I have just received a load of farm manure for my allotment...The farmer
| told me if I wanted any more I must get it before 2004 as the EU were
| regarding it as toxic waste and it would need a special licence to be
| transported on the public highway...This licence would be specific to the
| driver and as he employs casual labour he could not afford all the fees...
| Wonder if anyone else has heard about this and if so what can be done
| about it....

Nuke Whitehall. As with most such claims in the UK, it is almost
certainly a lie. The EU typically requires that a country has
appropriate regulations, Whitehall introduces some draconian ones
that have a huge bureacratic overhead, and then says "look what
the nasty EU made us do".

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-11-2003, 03:08 PM
VivienB

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 11:23:22 +0000, trufflesdad
wrote:

I have just received a load of farm manure for my allotment...The farmer
told me if I wanted any more I must get it before 2004 as the EU were
regarding it as toxic waste and it would need a special licence to be
transported on the public highway...This licence would be specific to the
driver and as he employs casual labour he could not afford all the fees...
Wonder if anyone else has heard about this and if so what can be done
about it....

Suggest you post this in uk.business.agriculture. From what I read
there, farm manure is indeed considered a waste product that
needs/will need a special licence to be transported, but I don't know
the details.

Regards, VivienB
Old 28-11-2003, 05:35 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On 28 Nov 2003 12:17:58 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Nuke Whitehall. As with most such claims in the UK, it is almost
certainly a lie. The EU typically requires that a country has
appropriate regulations, Whitehall introduces some draconian ones
that have a huge bureacratic overhead, and then says "look what
the nasty EU made us do".

I can well remember when the EU was cutting its teeth on the
issue of regulation of consumer goods. We colonials were vastly
amused to read that Brussels felt that all condoms should be one
size, causing endless debates on "national character" and what
size would be appropriate.

I don't remember the details, but it was roughly one country
responding to the proposed standard size "That's way too small
for our virile populace" and another "Yigods, that's way too big
for any civilized country three generations beyond the jungle."

(I exaggerate, of course, but I'm sure you will all forgive me
indulging a favorite vice.)

What amazed me was that they didn't simply propose that the size,
measured in a standard manner, be printed on the packets, and let
the consumer choose for himself.

So I am well able to believe when someone bitches about some
crazy EU regulation.

Now to sit back and read the corrections to my distorted view of
history...

ObGardening: It's pouring down rain outside, the garden is
soaking wet, and there are still leaves to be raked up. Ugh! But
there are two forms of snowdrop in flower, and a few cyclamen
hederifolium linger on.

Old 28-11-2003, 05:37 PM
Bob Hobden

Ted wrote
I have just received a load of farm manure for my allotment...The farmer
told me if I wanted any more I must get it before 2004 as the EU were
regarding it as toxic waste and it would need a special licence to be
transported on the public highway...This licence would be specific to the
driver and as he employs casual labour he could not afford all the fees...
Wonder if anyone else has heard about this and if so what can be done
about it....

I've already heard of a case of a pile of manure being removed from outside
an allotment site by the local Council because it was delivered on a Friday
and the gardeners intended to move it on Saturday, 24 hours later. They'll
be putting nappies on birds and insects next.

We should do what the French would do...nothing. Just ignore any rules that
they think don't apply to them, especially when it affects things they have
done for generations.

But the people we employ to run our country will see it as a golden
opportunity to obtain more money by the issue of licences, also an
opportunity for more control.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 28-11-2003, 08:23 PM
Larry Stoter

trufflesdad wrote:

I have just received a load of farm manure for my allotment...The farmer
told me if I wanted any more I must get it before 2004 as the EU were
regarding it as toxic waste and it would need a special licence to be
transported on the public highway...This licence would be specific to the
driver and as he employs casual labour he could not afford all the fees...
Wonder if anyone else has heard about this and if so what can be done
about it....

Several issues here ...

1. The "popular" press do make up stories to fill space and having a go
at the EU is a favorite fantasy space filler, usuallly with no
foundation in fact. Just because it is in the Sun or on Sky news, it's
not necessarily true or even vaguely related to reality.

2. A lot of EU originating legislation (and some UK legislation) is, for
practical purposes, irrelevant. Unless legislation provides for (and
funds) enforcement mechanisms, the legislation is a complete waste of
everbodies' time, unless the police are looking for a nicely obscure
piece of law to have a go at somebody who has upset them.

3. The British really should take a much more robust and commited
approach to the EU - like the French and Germans. If you don't like a
specifc EU law, ignore it. If the barristers who have taken over
goverment start to get difficult, 5 tonnes of fish guts or pig manure in
Whitehall will probably encourage them to reconsider :-))
--
Larry Stoter
Old 28-11-2003, 10:36 PM
David Hill

"...........I must get it before 2004 as the EU were regarding it as toxic
waste and it would need a special licence to be transported on the public
highway.............."

As I understand it this is already the case if the farmer is delivering it
as it is a waste product from his business ....if you collect it on the
other hand it is not considered "waste"
The stupid thing is that if I cut my grass and take it over to my neighbour
to feed his horses , it is a waste product for me so illegal, If I then
collect his manure to take back I am legal, if on the other hand he brings
me manure"Illegal" he can legally take my grass away for me.
Now if this relates to the person or the transport I don't know, could be he
can drive my "Waste" and I can drive His with the same
machine..........sounds about right for this mad world.
However if we both have a 3rd party to do the moving then I don't know where
we stand. (Probably at each end of the road to make sure there are no
council Bods around).

Sounds like the disposal of green waste, You can't burn it, but if it is
infected with certain pests then it has to be incinerated,How and Where?
You can't save it all for 5th Nov. bonfire.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 29-11-2003, 12:28 AM
martin

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:21:16 +0000, (Larry
Stoter) wrote:

trufflesdad wrote:

[...]

and British trade organisations, like the British Ship Building
Federation should think twice before forcing things like the
Recreational Craft Directive on the rest of Europe and then blaming
the result on Brussels and the EU.
--
Martin

Old 29-11-2003, 12:29 AM
Ian Cundell

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Ted wrote
I have just received a load of farm manure for my allotment...The farmer
told me if I wanted any more I must get it before 2004 as the EU were
regarding it as toxic waste and it would need a special licence to be
transported on the public highway...This licence would be specific to the
driver and as he employs casual labour he could not afford all the fees...
Wonder if anyone else has heard about this and if so what can be done
about it....

I've already heard of a case of a pile of manure being removed from outside
an allotment site by the local Council because it was delivered on a Friday
and the gardeners intended to move it on Saturday, 24 hours later. They'll
be putting nappies on birds and insects next.

Yes of course. Because it is extremely likely that a local authority,
anywhere, would act on something like this within...well, let's see - a
working day, so call it 8 hours.

Yeah, right.

We should do what the French would do...nothing. Just ignore any rules that
they think don't apply to them, especially when it affects things they have
done for generations.

But the people we employ to run our country will see it as a golden
opportunity to obtain more money by the issue of licences, also an
opportunity for more control.

--

"I go online sometimes, but...everyone's spelling is really bad,
and...it's depressing"