Old 03-12-2003, 05:06 PM
Emrys Davies

Default High Hedge Legislation

'Janice',

Planning permission or not, it is too late to rock the boat now and I
mean that in the nicest possible way.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:15:24 -0000, "Janice" wrote:

"PK" wrote in message
The law will relate to
#the hedge in question comprised wholly or predominantly of a line

of two
or
more evergreen or semi-evergreen trees or shrubs;
#it was over 2 metres high;
#the hedge acted, to some degree, as a barrier to light or access;

and
#because of its height, it was adversely affecting the

complainant's
reasonable enjoyment of their domestic property (that is their home

or
garden)
The range of criteria is expected to include both light and

sunlight
deprivation to homes and to gardens,

What niggles me a bit, though, is my neighbour on one side has built

garage right along the fenceline, and my neighbour on the other side

has
built a two-storey extension along the other fenceline. Both

structures
block light from my garden, in a big way. Don't get me wrong -- I do

have
sympathy for those who have towering trees blocking their sunlight,

but how
come I don't have a right to light and sunlight?

Check if both had planning permission.
--
Martin

Old 03-12-2003, 05:06 PM
martin

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:49:35 -0000, " Emrys Davies"
wrote:

'Janice',

Planning permission or not, it is too late to rock the boat now and I
mean that in the nicest possible way.

If they haven't got planning permission, you can do something to get
your light back.
--
Martin
Old 03-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Janice

wrote:

Planning permission or not, it is too late to rock the boat now and I
mean that in the nicest possible way.

If they haven't got planning permission, you can do something to get
your light back.

Planning permission was received for both buildings; but both structures
were objected to on account of loss of light and privacy. The Planning
Department didn't even come to the property to see how the structures would
affect my property. Complete waste of time objecting, and apparently there
is no such thing as "a right to light", at least where a building is
concerned. But all of a sudden a right to light is taken into account with
high hedges. I don't understand it, but there you go................

I reiterate, I do have sympathy for those battling over high hedges, as I
know what it's like to have no sunlight.

Old 03-12-2003, 05:32 PM
PK

Janice wrote:
"PK" wrote in message
The law will relate to
#the hedge in question comprised wholly or predominantly of a line
of two or more evergreen or semi-evergreen trees or shrubs;
#it was over 2 metres high;
#the hedge acted, to some degree, as a barrier to light or access;
and #because of its height, it was adversely affecting the
complainant's reasonable enjoyment of their domestic property (that
is their home or garden)
The range of criteria is expected to include both light and sunlight
deprivation to homes and to gardens,

What niggles me a bit, though, is my neighbour on one side has built a
garage right along the fenceline, and my neighbour on the other side
has built a two-storey extension along the other fenceline. Both
structures block light from my garden, in a big way. Don't get me
wrong -- I do have sympathy for those who have towering trees
blocking their sunlight, but how come I don't have a right to light
and sunlight?

I can see how that niggles, but did you object to planning consent?

not much use but it might raise a smile, checkout:
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...859609,00.html

and for anyone interested, chapter and verse on the right to light - or not!

pk

Old 03-12-2003, 05:42 PM
PK

PK wrote:
Janice wrote:
"PK" wrote in message
The law will relate to
#the hedge in question comprised wholly or predominantly of a line
of two or more evergreen or semi-evergreen trees or shrubs;
#it was over 2 metres high;
#the hedge acted, to some degree, as a barrier to light or access;
and #because of its height, it was adversely affecting the
complainant's reasonable enjoyment of their domestic property (that
is their home or garden)
The range of criteria is expected to include both light and sunlight
deprivation to homes and to gardens,

What niggles me a bit, though, is my neighbour on one side has built
a garage right along the fenceline, and my neighbour on the other
side has built a two-storey extension along the other fenceline.
Both structures block light from my garden, in a big way. Don't get
me wrong -- I do have sympathy for those who have towering trees
blocking their sunlight, but how come I don't have a right to light
and sunlight?

I can see how that niggles, but did you object to planning consent?

not much use but it might raise a smile, checkout:
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...859609,00.html

and for anyone interested, chapter and verse on the right to light -
or not!

http://www.kellyand.co.uk/newsite/pr...t-to-light.htm

pk

Old 03-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Janice

"PK" wrote :
The range of criteria is expected to include both light and sunlight
deprivation to homes and to gardens,

What niggles me a bit, though, is my neighbour on one side has built a
garage right along the fenceline, and my neighbour on the other side
has built a two-storey extension along the other fenceline. Both
structures block light from my garden, in a big way. Don't get me
wrong -- I do have sympathy for those who have towering trees
blocking their sunlight, but how come I don't have a right to light
and sunlight?

I can see how that niggles, but did you object to planning consent?
not much use but it might raise a smile, checkout:
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...859609,00.html
and for anyone interested, chapter and verse on the right to light - or

not!

Yes, I objected to planning consent - complete waste of time and effort. I
think our town Planning Department only considers a "right to light" if it
impacts the light in a main living space. I believe our Planning Department
completely disregards a "right to light" in the actual garden space
outdoors. Perhaps other towns have different regulations.

Old 03-12-2003, 06:03 PM
PK

Janice wrote:

Yes, I objected to planning consent - complete waste of time and
effort. I think our town Planning Department only considers a "right
to light" if it impacts the light in a main living space. I believe
our Planning Department completely disregards a "right to light" in
the actual garden space outdoors. Perhaps other towns have different
regulations.

yep that's the legal position - it only applies to buildings, specially
windows and derives from the times before artificial light when day light
was vital. Gardens don't fall into any right to light protection.

pk

Old 03-12-2003, 06:22 PM
Janice

"PK" wrote in message
Yes, I objected to planning consent - complete waste of time and
effort. I think our town Planning Department only considers a "right
to light" if it impacts the light in a main living space. I believe
our Planning Department completely disregards a "right to light" in
the actual garden space outdoors. Perhaps other towns have different
regulations.

yep that's the legal position - it only applies to buildings, specially
windows and derives from the times before artificial light when day light
was vital. Gardens don't fall into any right to light protection.

So, how come high hedges legislation all of a sudden considers a "right to
light" as a reason for the limitation of hedge height?

Old 03-12-2003, 06:24 PM
bnd777

No it applies to ALL Evergreen hedges including existing
see www.hedgeline.org for full details

"Janice" wrote in message
I've been told that the new "high hedge" legislation will only apply to
hedges yet to be planted, and that the legislation is not retroactive and
will not apply to hedges already growing? Is that correct?

BTW, I do not have a high hedge!

Thanks,

Old 03-12-2003, 06:24 PM
bnd777

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"PK" wrote in message

Root damage will not be allowed as a direct ground for complaint as

proof
needs expert witnesses and such disputes are beyond the scope of this

law.
The grower will not be able to claim that he needs a huge hedge to give

his
upstairs windows total privacy. There will be severe limits set on the
amount of privacy which can be claimed as of right, but if the grower

claims
that there is some special reason why he needs more than standard

privacy
his claims will be, at the least, considered.

I have a leylandii hedge which I keep trimmed to below 6ft. At the end
nearest the house, I have a fir which is tall, next to my window. Will
this be a problem?. None of my trees interfere with my neighbours' light.

Ophelia

I can see no reason whatever that either your one tree or your trimmed under
6 ft hedge should be a problem under this or any new law or adjustments to
it

Old 03-12-2003, 09:32 PM
PK

Janice wrote:
"PK" wrote in message
Yes, I objected to planning consent - complete waste of time and
effort. I think our town Planning Department only considers a
"right to light" if it impacts the light in a main living space. I
believe our Planning Department completely disregards a "right to
light" in the actual garden space outdoors. Perhaps other towns
have different regulations.

yep that's the legal position - it only applies to buildings,
specially windows and derives from the times before artificial light
when day light was vital. Gardens don't fall into any right to light
protection.

So, how come high hedges legislation all of a sudden considers a
"right to light" as a reason for the limitation of hedge height?

It doesn't!

that law says:

b) alleges that his reasonable enjoyment of that property is being adversely
affected by the height of a high hedge situated on land owned or occupied by
another person.

and refers to light:

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) a line of evergreens is not to be
regarded as forming a barrier to light or access if the existence of gaps
significantly affects its overall effect as such a barrier at heights of
more than two metres above ground level.

"rsonable enjoyment" is the key phrase

pk

Old 03-12-2003, 11:03 PM
bnd777

"PK" wrote in message
[...]

Check that they have actually built strictly according to planning

.........you have 4 years in which to complain if they havent

We found out 23 yrs later that our neighbours house has been built too close
to the boundary
wish we had seen the plans but stupidly we trusted the planners back in
those days