Old 07-12-2003, 10:31 PM
bnd777

Default Tree suggestions please

Thanks for all the ideas ......will now look them up for more info

Soil is definitely alkaline and spot the I need the tree for can get a
little wind blown at times

Old 08-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

/snip/

Even if a Euclyptus gets severely damaged by frost, provided it has been
established for several years, there is a very good chance that it will
shoot from the roots.

That is so. However, the OP specifically asked for " a tall evergreen tree
". If the Eucalyptus has to be continually regrown from the roots, it will
never become a tall tree.

Well, not very frequently....

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Old 08-12-2003, 01:12 AM
David Hill

What I want to know is.....What do you call a tall tree?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 08-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

What I want to know is.....What do you call a tall tree?

Edward, perhaps; or Penelope if it's a girl.

Janet.

Old 08-12-2003, 08:08 PM
Sacha

bnd7778/12/03 6:20

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
bnd7777/12/03 9:40

Thanks for all the ideas ......will now look them up for more info

Soil is definitely alkaline and spot the I need the tree for can get a
little wind blown at times

IME, Eucalyptus can keel over in the wind, even when beside a wall (I had
this in a previous, walled, garden) If there is a problem wind wind that
could affect the tree, you need to ask yourself how important it is to

have
a tall tree. Is it to screen something else? Or is it to be an

eye-drawing
feature to that part of your garden? If the former, the wind is always
going to be a problem, so you need to choose something sturdy and if the
latter, you can go for bushier but perhaps colourful, things.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

I want to block a view above a 2 metre fence and also to cast a lot of

shade
Currently theres a Lawsons Cypress in the spot but its over 20 yrs old and
leaning heavily with overweight branches for its height which is around
4metres

Interesting you mention this tree because my husband was telling me a story
about this just today. A (then) famous garden designer wanted to use them
at Dartington Hall and the gardener kicked up a fuss and nearly got the
sack. Reading upside down, he saw his letter of notice on the boss's table.
Before he could be handed the letter, he handed over an article on the
Lawson's Cypresss and his job was saved!
So, I would like to suggest two choices. Choose another tree out of all
those mentioned to you or perhaps, cut all the branches off the existing
tree so that it will not shoot again and grow climbers up it. Use it as a
frame, in fact. That won't last for ever because it will die back but in
terms of your occupancy of that house, will this be a possible solution?
You can use evergreen climbers, BTW.

However, given the problems inherent with old tree roots and the wall, I
would like to suggest a third possibility; cut the tree down and drill
holes in the stumps, filling them with Root Out or, if it's possible use a
stump grinder to reduce the roots to almost nothing. The latter is a better
and quicker solution but possibly more expensive. For one tree, it
shouldn't be ruinous.
Then, forget a new tree; build a triangular pergola (like a quarter or
three quarters of an umbrella's spokes) from the corner of the wall
outwards, up which you grow whichever climbers take your fancy, give you the
cover you want and scent and colour etc. The pergola could have cross beams
which are angled upwards a little to give you the height you want. Only you
can decide this.
As long as you drive the stakes deep enough and cement them in, you should
be able to go to the height you want. Anything you plant should then be
planted roughly 2' from the cement surround, to give it enough soil depth
and root run.
Please - don't be tempted to use those metal holders into which you place
uprights. I've had the whole lot snapped off at ground level during a
goodish wind, let alone a gale. And that was beside a wall, too.

My experience with a mere 6 ft high Eucalyptus nearly causing subsidense on
my daughters house leans me to avoid them

Yours is not a situation in which I can imagine suggesting that you plant a
Eucalyptus. They are beautiful trees but not beside a wall, IMO and IME.
In Turkey, I've seen them used to take moisture from the soil. This is not
always a good thing, especially as you're talking about a sharply drained,
dry soil to start with.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-12-2003, 08:09 PM
martin

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 15:08:24 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

What I want to know is.....What do you call a tall tree?

Edward, perhaps; or Penelope if it's a girl.

or "my old Dutch Elm", if it's really, really tall.
--
Martin
Old 08-12-2003, 08:10 PM
martin

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:57:24 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Janet Baraclough8/12/03 3:08
@ zetnet.co.uk

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

What I want to know is.....What do you call a tall tree?

Edward, perhaps; or Penelope if it's a girl.

Janet.

Or maybe Yewgene?

Yewie Green?
--
Martin
Old 08-12-2003, 10:33 PM
David Hill

".... What I want to know is.....What do you call a tall tree?

Edward, perhaps; or Penelope if it's a girl.

Janet.

Or maybe Yewgene?

Yewie Green? .........."

Not a Poplar name with us, must be a new branch of the family,

I'd have thought Conie fir a girl..

Old 08-12-2003, 10:34 PM
David Hill

"....... I want to block a view above a 2 metre fence and also to cast a lot
of shade
Currently theres a Lawsons Cypress in the spot but its over 20 yrs old and
leaning heavily with overweight branches for its height which is around
4metres ..........."

So really you want a Small tree.
Have you thought of planting 2 or Eucalyptus, and instead of letting them
grow as trees coppicing them every few years in rotation. As you could get
up to around 6 ft in a season from coppiced Eucalyptus You could be cutting
out one clump every 2 years or so, and you would have some very handy Poles
from the job.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk
***2004 catalogue now available***

Insect Spray For Tree Suggestions, Please. (leaves being eaten) Robert11 Lawns 5 01-05-2006 10:56 PM
Tree Suggestions Please? Sue Gardening 0 30-09-2003 01:32 AM
Newbie: Small tree suggestions please Andrew Hargreaves United Kingdom 10 08-07-2003 11:41 PM
Plant/Tree Suggestions Please Andy United Kingdom 7 20-06-2003 03:20 PM
Tree suggestions please zhanataya Gardening 7 14-03-2003 06:56 PM