Old 18-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default kippers to dye for Pots in the North

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

You must have had it bad. I gave up a dozen or more years ago and after
the first fortnight it didn't irk me.

I am the world's champion giver upper. I have given up once for 6 months,
three times for a year and now for two years. And I am considering giving
myself a christmas present of an ounce of St. Bruno. (Luckily I saved six of
my old pipes, just in case)

Don't even think about it. I lost my li'l sis a couple of years ago to
lung cancer.

Felt unwell at work. Doctor called. Whipped into hospital. Died exactly
two weeks later.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)

Old 18-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:09:46 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

Have mercy on me and please stop using that s word. I stopped smoking

two
years ago and I stil keep walking close behind smokers in the street,

just
to breathe a bit of second hand pleasure.

You must have had it bad. I gave up a dozen or more years ago and after
the first fortnight it didn't irk me.

After the first two weeks it didn't irk me, after 2 months it almost
killed me not to have a cigarette, after 3 months I was cured, after 2
years I hated the smell of the things. I was getting through 70 a day
when I gave up. After 20 years I started getting some sort of allergic
reaction, it turned out to be caused by cigarette smoke.

So what sort of tobacco are you planting this year?

Like Omar Khayyam, I am standing at the tavern door, waiting for cannabis to
be legalised. I am aiming take it up as soon as that happy event occurs,
and preferably before it is taxed.

Franz

Old 18-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

So what sort of tobacco are you planting this year?

I just happen to have a lot of seeds left from when I grew my own.
Whether they are still viable, I dunno.

I might try some during the coming year for molishing incesticide sprays.

Old 18-12-2003, 08:35 AM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:09:20 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

It used to be Brown FK (For Kippers,...

Really ?! LOL.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old 18-12-2003, 09:04 AM
martin

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:38:42 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Like Omar Khayyam, I am standing at the tavern door, waiting for cannabis to
be legalised. I am aiming take it up as soon as that happy event occurs,
and preferably before it is taxed.

I've been surrounded by people growing it in commercial quantities for
decades, I've never been tempted.
--
Martin
Old 18-12-2003, 10:42 AM
Ophelia

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:37:06 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Mind you, if I'd been smoked, I'd be pretty mad too.

Have mercy on me and please stop using that s word. I stopped smoking

two
years ago and I stil keep walking close behind smokers in the street,

just
to breathe a bit of second hand pleasure.

I stopped 34 years ago and I can't stand being near smokers.
Come 1-1-2004 no more smoking in public in NL .... perhaps.

31 years for me. I loathe the smell of it and it is banned from my house

Ophelia

Old 18-12-2003, 10:45 AM
martin

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:25:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

I stopped 34 years ago and I can't stand being near smokers.
Come 1-1-2004 no more smoking in public in NL .... perhaps.

31 years for me. I loathe the smell of it and it is banned from my house

O.K Ophelia own up, we are married. Right?

.... and if not why not?

I wondered what she was typing just now :-)
--
Martin

Old 18-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Andy Hunt

Like Omar Khayyam, I am standing at the tavern door, waiting for cannabis

be legalised. I am aiming take it up as soon as that happy event occurs,
and preferably before it is taxed.

I've been surrounded by people growing it in commercial quantities for
decades, I've never been tempted.

I confess that I grow it, for myself only. It's a joy - like making your own
wine. I have a couple of friends who grow it too, and we bore everyone else
senseless with our "gardening" talk when we get together. It's worse than
CAMRA. I actually consume only very small quantities of it (it's strong
stuff you know!). The leaves can be used in cooking as with any other herb.
Sometimes the flowers smell so fragrant it's tempting just to use it as a
pot pourri.

I don't smoke tobacco (used to but gave up about 3 years ago 'cos it was
making me ill - I've never missed it), and I don't drink much (I spill most
of it!), so a little bit in a pipe is my little "nightcap" to relax at the
end of the working day, with a nice cup of black Earl Gray in front of the
fire. Inspirational.

You might be surprised what's happened to the typical "cannabis consumer" .
.. . it's gone from being the domain of the greasy-haired drop-out
hippy-in-a-teepee (not that there's anything wrong with that, mind) to being
a middle-class, middle-aged pipe-and-slippers job, with a nice glass of red
wine and a bit of Kate Rusby on the stereo. Apart from all the kids who
smoke that stuff that's made out of Iraqi crude barrel-scrapings and old
rubber tyres, but I don't really count that. For the real connaisseur, it's
a fine art.

Andrew

Old 18-12-2003, 01:32 PM
martin

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:47:52 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

[...]

I can and do live without it. I had big enough problems giving up
tobacco, which I hated, without getting involved in something illegal
that I might like.
--
Martin
Old 18-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Ophelia

wrote:

I stopped 34 years ago and I can't stand being near smokers.
Come 1-1-2004 no more smoking in public in NL .... perhaps.

31 years for me. I loathe the smell of it and it is banned from my house

O.K Ophelia own up, we are married. Right?

What? I had better be.. I am a grannie)

... and if not why not?

LOL you are mad)

Ophelia

Old 18-12-2003, 01:42 PM
martin

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:17:08 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I stopped 34 years ago and I can't stand being near smokers.
Come 1-1-2004 no more smoking in public in NL .... perhaps.

31 years for me. I loathe the smell of it and it is banned from my house

O.K Ophelia own up, we are married. Right?

What? I had better be.. I am a grannie)

Nobody ever tells me anything. Now what's our son been up to? :-)

... and if not why not?

LOL you are mad)

Maniacal LOL Perhaps :-)
--
Martin
Old 18-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Andy Hunt

You might be surprised what's happened to the typical "cannabis consumer"

..
. . it's gone from being the domain of the greasy-haired drop-out
hippy-in-a-teepee (not that there's anything wrong with that, mind) to

being
a middle-class, middle-aged pipe-and-slippers job, with a nice glass of

red
wine and a bit of Kate Rusby on the stereo. Apart from all the kids who
smoke that stuff that's made out of Iraqi crude barrel-scrapings and old
rubber tyres, but I don't really count that. For the real connaisseur,

it's
a fine art.

I can and do live without it. I had big enough problems giving up
tobacco, which I hated, without getting involved in something illegal
that I might like.

Very wise . . . it's like any other drug at the end of the day - alcohol,
tobacco, whatever. If you haven't started, best not to. And although the
quantities of pure cannabis flower I smoke are tiny compared to even the
vegetable matter in a single cigarette, I can still feel the effect on my
lungs, which isn't good. It's very much a luxury for me.

Besides, you can get really high off a nice strong cup of tea . . . or an
infusion of rue and sage.

Andrew