Old 18-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Ophelia

Default kippers to dye for Pots in the North

"martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:17:08 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:25:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

I stopped 34 years ago and I can't stand being near smokers.
Come 1-1-2004 no more smoking in public in NL .... perhaps.

31 years for me. I loathe the smell of it and it is banned from my

house

O.K Ophelia own up, we are married. Right?

What? I had better be.. I am a grannie)

Nobody ever tells me anything. Now what's our son been up to? :-)

He didn't tell you about our wee grandson??? Awww you are missing a lot)
He is about 3 foot tall and blond Wonder if he will take after you G

... and if not why not?

LOL you are mad)

Maniacal LOL Perhaps :-)

Just my type) LOL

Old 18-12-2003, 02:32 PM
martin

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:59:13 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

You might be surprised what's happened to the typical "cannabis consumer"

.
. . it's gone from being the domain of the greasy-haired drop-out
hippy-in-a-teepee (not that there's anything wrong with that, mind) to

being
a middle-class, middle-aged pipe-and-slippers job, with a nice glass of

red
wine and a bit of Kate Rusby on the stereo. Apart from all the kids who
smoke that stuff that's made out of Iraqi crude barrel-scrapings and old
rubber tyres, but I don't really count that. For the real connaisseur,

it's
a fine art.

I can and do live without it. I had big enough problems giving up
tobacco, which I hated, without getting involved in something illegal
that I might like.

Very wise . . . it's like any other drug at the end of the day - alcohol,
tobacco, whatever. If you haven't started, best not to.

Unless used repeatedly in excess, alcohol is not addictive.

I think cigarettes are really evil, I never enjoyed smoking
cigarettes.

Cigars are another thing. I craved for a cigar every time I smelt good
cigar smoke for 4 or 5 years after I gave up smoking.

And although the
quantities of pure cannabis flower I smoke are tiny compared to even the
vegetable matter in a single cigarette, I can still feel the effect on my
lungs, which isn't good. It's very much a luxury for me.

Besides, you can get really high off a nice strong cup of tea . . . or an
infusion of rue and sage.

.... but I don't. Tea has never done anything for me.

Now about coffee...
--
Martin
Old 18-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Andy Hunt

Very wise . . . it's like any other drug at the end of the day - alcohol,
tobacco, whatever. If you haven't started, best not to.

Unless used repeatedly in excess, alcohol is not addictive.

Same for cannabis - not physically addictive. Can be psychologically
addictive though.

I think cigarettes are really evil, I never enjoyed smoking
cigarettes.

Cigars are another thing. I craved for a cigar every time I smelt good
cigar smoke for 4 or 5 years after I gave up smoking.

My dad smoked cigarettes for years, but gave up about 15 years ago. About 2
or 3 years ago he took up smoking cigars (he says he doesn't inhale) with a
whisky.

I have always found the aroma of cigars and rolling/pipe tobacco absolutely
gorgeous (hmm the smell in tobacconists is awesome, especially if they stock
chocolates too!), but as soon as it is burned, it just turns into the most
acrid, clinging smoke. I don't miss tobacco one little bit.

And although the
quantities of pure cannabis flower I smoke are tiny compared to even the
vegetable matter in a single cigarette, I can still feel the effect on my
lungs, which isn't good. It's very much a luxury for me.

Besides, you can get really high off a nice strong cup of tea . . . or an
infusion of rue and sage.

... but I don't. Tea has never done anything for me.

Now about coffee...

Coffee makes me sweat and tremble, like I've poisoned myself. Perhaps I am
particularly sensitive to these things! But again, the smell of fresh ground
coffee . . . hmmmmmmmm!!!!!! :-)))))

Andrew

Old 18-12-2003, 02:42 PM
martin

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:03:41 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:17:08 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I stopped 34 years ago and I can't stand being near smokers.
Come 1-1-2004 no more smoking in public in NL .... perhaps.

31 years for me. I loathe the smell of it and it is banned from my

house

O.K Ophelia own up, we are married. Right?

What? I had better be.. I am a grannie)

Nobody ever tells me anything. Now what's our son been up to? :-)

He didn't tell you about our wee grandson??? Awww you are missing a lot)
He is about 3 foot tall and blond Wonder if he will take after you G

not me, but he does sound like my son at that age. He could have got
the main part in The Tin Drum. The resemblance was uncanny.
It was quite a relief when his hair turned a darker colour.
Did you mention his blue eyes and he-man physique. :-)

... and if not why not?

LOL you are mad)

Maniacal LOL Perhaps :-)

Just my type) LOL

I should hope so. :-)
--
Martin
Old 18-12-2003, 02:42 PM
martin

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:24:26 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

Now about coffee...

Coffee makes me sweat and tremble, like I've poisoned myself.

Are you drinking too much or is it too strong?
Danish made coffee does the same to me.

Perhaps I am
particularly sensitive to these things! But again, the smell of fresh ground
coffee . . . hmmmmmmmm!!!!!! :-)))))

Do they sell Philips/Douwe Egberts Senseo coffee makers in UK? The
smell of freshly ground Douwe Egberts Coffee that comes out of the
bags of Senseo coffee pads is enough to turn me into a substance
sniffer :-)

Douwe Egberts used to have coffee and tobacco factories in Joure in
Friesland, perhaps they still have. I had a sailing holiday in the
area long ago. The mixed smells of coffee and tobacco could be smelt
from miles away.
--
Martin

Old 18-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Ophelia

"martin" wrote in message

Nobody ever tells me anything. Now what's our son been up to? :-)

He didn't tell you about our wee grandson??? Awww you are missing a

lot)
He is about 3 foot tall and blond Wonder if he will take after you

not me, but he does sound like my son at that age. He could have got
the main part in The Tin Drum. The resemblance was uncanny.
It was quite a relief when his hair turned a darker colour.
Did you mention his blue eyes and he-man physique. :-)

Well wee Daniel is not 3 years old yet so we shall have to see)

... and if not why not?

LOL you are mad)

Maniacal LOL Perhaps :-)

Just my type) LOL

I should hope so. :-)

Absolutely Hubby)

Old 18-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Andy Hunt

Do they sell Philips/Douwe Egberts Senseo coffee makers in UK? The
smell of freshly ground Douwe Egberts Coffee that comes out of the
bags of Senseo coffee pads is enough to turn me into a substance
sniffer :-)

Douwe Egberts used to have coffee and tobacco factories in Joure in
Friesland, perhaps they still have. I had a sailing holiday in the
area long ago. The mixed smells of coffee and tobacco could be smelt
from miles away.

Hmmm I can almost smell it now!!!! I'm not sure about the Senseo coffee pads
.. . . I'll have a look next time I'm in the supermarket. I know you can get
Douwe Egberts for filter machines/cafetieres etc.

Even instant coffee makes me feel funny, although I love the smell and the
taste. Decaf is OK though, so maybe I just need to make it a lot weaker.
Decaf doesn't seem to have that "real coffee" taste/smell though. Ah well!
I'll probably get thrown out of Asda on my ear next time for sniffing the
coffee bags!

WRT tobacco, my great-grandad used to grow his own in his greenhouse in the
midlands quite successfully. He lived in the most lovely old
white-with-black-beams type cottage. It was so nice that about 80% of the
jigsaw puzzles in the UK which feature a rose cottage are actually from a
photo of his cottage - it was idyllic. He smoked cigarettes for most of his
life, but smoked a pipe when he was older. He gave up smoking when he was
95, due to a chest infection, but muddled through by having a large tot of
whisky in his tea every morning until he died at the age of 99. I reckon he
would have made it to 100 if he hadn't smoked or drank . . . ;-)

Andrew

Old 18-12-2003, 03:33 PM
martin

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:06:28 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

WRT tobacco, my great-grandad used to grow his own in his greenhouse in the
midlands quite successfully. He lived in the most lovely old
white-with-black-beams type cottage. It was so nice that about 80% of the
jigsaw puzzles in the UK which feature a rose cottage are actually from a
photo of his cottage - it was idyllic.

It's not near Andover is it?

He smoked cigarettes for most of his
life, but smoked a pipe when he was older. He gave up smoking when he was
95, due to a chest infection, but muddled through by having a large tot of
whisky in his tea every morning until he died at the age of 99. I reckon he
would have made it to 100 if he hadn't smoked or drank . . . ;-)

Some might blame the nurse's decolletage and his habit of dropping his
pipe cleaners. :-)
--
Martin
Old 18-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Ophelia

"martin" wrote in message

Some might blame the nurse's decolletage and his habit of dropping his
pipe cleaners. :-)

Harrumph... I am watching

Old 18-12-2003, 04:09 PM
Andy Hunt

wrote:

WRT tobacco, my great-grandad used to grow his own in his greenhouse in

the
midlands quite successfully. He lived in the most lovely old
white-with-black-beams type cottage. It was so nice that about 80% of the
jigsaw puzzles in the UK which feature a rose cottage are actually from a
photo of his cottage - it was idyllic.

It's not near Andover is it?

Pershore. Worcestershire.

http://www.pershore-tourism.co.uk

He smoked cigarettes for most of his
life, but smoked a pipe when he was older. He gave up smoking when he was
95, due to a chest infection, but muddled through by having a large tot

of
whisky in his tea every morning until he died at the age of 99. I reckon

he
would have made it to 100 if he hadn't smoked or drank . . . ;-)

Some might blame the nurse's decolletage and his habit of dropping his
pipe cleaners. :-)

He died from a pneumonia in the end, during a very cold winter. Pretty
unsurprising really, as although idyllic to the eye, his cottage didn't have
central heating, he just had a gas fire. He had plenty of money and could
have lived anywhere he wanted really, but he liked his cottage, I think he
wanted to die there - and I can't say I blame him, really. I can think of
much worse places to die. Mind you, I suppose one place is every bit as good
as another when it comes to that particular cosmic revolving door. Like the
place where you were born.

He was always a fan of the nurses though, now you come to mention it! (and
who can blame him?) He had a zest for life . . . and was easily one of the
most, if not the most, fanatical gardeners in the family. He had a
three-zone greenhouse, as far as I remember (I was quite young when last
there). He met his wife looking after a small market garden for his family
who had moved away. Jones was his name, but he was from Birmingham. I'm
Welsh by birth (as is my mum), but my dad's from Bristol. I live in
Lancashire but I feel Welsh. Strange. My aforementioned great-grandad was on
my mum's side of the family, but my dad's father was also a fanatical
gardener and used to give me and my sister full-grown marrows which had had
our respective names carved into them when they were small, and so the names
had grown with the marrow.

I'm still very "green" when it comes to gardening (sorry!) I must admit,
having spent much of my time playing, listening to and promoting rock music
and dance music. But now I have seen the light and decided to concentrate on
something a little less apocalyptic.

So thanks for all the tips! I really appreciate them. They will all be put
into practice as soon as I've got my tubs. I have a great turnip to climb,
as Baldrick might say.

Andrew

Old 18-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message

Very wise . . . it's like any other drug at the end of the day -

alcohol,
tobacco, whatever. If you haven't started, best not to.

Unless used repeatedly in excess, alcohol is not addictive.

Same for cannabis - not physically addictive. Can be psychologically
addictive though.

Like Biltong or Cumberland sausage.

Franz

Old 18-12-2003, 05:21 PM
martin

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:44:26 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .

Some might blame the nurse's decolletage and his habit of dropping his
pipe cleaners. :-)

Harrumph... I am watching

so was he :-)

--
Martin

Old 18-12-2003, 05:21 PM
martin

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:23:29 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Andy Hunt" wrote in message

Very wise . . . it's like any other drug at the end of the day -

alcohol,
tobacco, whatever. If you haven't started, best not to.

Unless used repeatedly in excess, alcohol is not addictive.

Same for cannabis - not physically addictive. Can be psychologically
addictive though.

Like Biltong or Cumberland sausage.

and Cumberland Beer.
--