Old 10-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Rhubarb

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

SNIP

There's a large and worthwhile difference between just bunging rhubarb
in soil, and planting it on top of a deep hole filled with old leather
shoes, wooly jumpers, weeds and manure. The stalks on deep-fed plants
are longer, more prolific, tender and pink, and taste better.

True, true, but when someone asks the question "how to plant rhubarb", it
seems reasonable to assume they're not all that experienced, so I was
keeping it to basics, and rhubarb is the most basic IMHO.
Then he can dump a bucket of manure on it when it goes dormant. It'll be
fine.

K.I.S.S.

He asked for the best way to plant it.
****
Janet.

Old 10-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:

There's a large and worthwhile difference between just bunging rhubarb
in soil, and planting it on top of a deep hole filled with old leather
shoes, wooly jumpers, weeds and manure. The stalks on deep-fed plants
are longer, more prolific, tender and pink, and taste better.

Don't forget the bones.....

And by 'deep', four feet is recommended by the cognoiscenti - subject to
water table.

I've never bothered with more than three feet deep, and the result was
rhubarb over waist-high.

Well, I've not doe anything with ours, and we have 3-4 ft stalks and
leaves over 30 inches across. I wonder what's buried under there that I
don't know about? ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 11-03-2004, 04:07 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

Well, I've not doe anything with ours, and we have 3-4 ft stalks and
leaves over 30 inches across. I wonder what's buried under there that I
don't know about? ;-)

Better not ask. What happened to the previous owner's wife, BTW?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-03-2004, 12:39 AM
Alan Holmes

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote:

What is the best way to plant my own Rhubarb plant, using offcuts

from
someone else's one?

Rhubarb is one of those things that nobody buys.... I think you have

grow it from divisions, and usually somebody near you will share some
pieces.

Just bung it in some soil, it'll know what to do.
You won't kill it unless the soil gets waterlogged for long periods.

There's a large and worthwhile difference between just bunging rhubarb
in soil, and planting it on top of a deep hole filled with old leather
shoes, wooly jumpers, weeds and manure. The stalks on deep-fed plants
are longer, more prolific, tender and pink, and taste better.

I wish you had said that _before_ I planted mine!

Alan

Janet.

Old 13-03-2004, 12:42 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message

There's a large and worthwhile difference between just bunging rhubarb
in soil, and planting it on top of a deep hole filled with old leather
shoes, wooly jumpers, weeds and manure. The stalks on deep-fed plants
are longer, more prolific, tender and pink, and taste better.

I wish you had said that _before_ I planted mine!

I found that out after I dug up and transplanted a very old rhubarb
patch, which transformed it. You could start saving bones, shoes,
woolly jumpers etc now, and replant your rhubarb next autumn.

Janet.

Old 13-03-2004, 11:59 PM
Steve @ The UK Speedtrap Guide

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these

words:

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in

message

There's a large and worthwhile difference between just bunging

rhubarb
in soil, and planting it on top of a deep hole filled with old leather
shoes, wooly jumpers, weeds and manure. The stalks on deep-fed plants
are longer, more prolific, tender and pink, and taste better.

I wish you had said that _before_ I planted mine!

I found that out after I dug up and transplanted a very old rhubarb
patch, which transformed it. You could start saving bones, shoes,
woolly jumpers etc now, and replant your rhubarb next autumn.

Janet.

Just a thought but all this talk of cats, got me thinking..... after seeing
this,

Woolly = Cat
Bones = Cat
Leather = Cat hide