Old 25-01-2004, 03:20 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Lifting our forum@

The message
from martin contains these words:

A few useful tips from the Dutch Bollenstreek :
Stamping crocus flowers into the ground improves the flavour of the
bulbs the following year.

I thought that was those big bulbs - er - Achtung minen?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 25-01-2004, 03:37 AM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 23:48:17 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?(snip)

Dumb. But probably not a violation of copyright. All is avaiilable on
Google groups and elsewhere.

That's the point, much of what appears here isn't available on google
groups. Many of us choose *not* to have our posts archived, and they are
all marked x-no-archive in the header.

Rather nasty to try and make hay out of
another's field, but you can't cure stupid. As a USAsian, I'd like to
note that this sort of thing *isn't* a strictly "American" abuse.

Agreed, but when advice intended for UK conditions is stolen by an
American website where it won't be appropriate, it's even dumber than
when cheapskate UK websites do it.

Janet

Old 25-01-2004, 10:13 AM
David Rance

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, JennyC wrote:

We could of course start to post 'special' messages for the 'Forum' full of
good advice, like plant your bedding plants now.......dig up your daffs to make
sure they are growing Ok............."~

Make sure you clean your vegetable area in spring by giving it a good
dose of Sodium Chlorate just before you plant the seeds......

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 25-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Frogleg

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:17:12 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Unforgets me of the summer of 1963 when i was a barman in a Perthshire
hotel. We had this USian guest who was, er, rather expert at sinking the
spiritual stuff.

snip the story

We're not *all* hopeless, you know. Nor are all of you. :-) When I
was in London (glorious!) some people sought to 'compliment' me by
remarking "you don't *sound* American." I had no clue what they meant.
That I didn't sound Texan or Georgian or Bostonian or as if I were
from da Bronx? How can people from a an area half the size of
California with more regional accents than France has cheeses believe
there's such a thing as an 'American' mode of speech?

Old 25-01-2004, 12:02 PM
martin

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:57:40 +0000, Chris French and Helen Johnson
wrote:

In message , martin
writes
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:46:35 +0000, Chris French and Helen Johnson
wrote:

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission

Permission for what? this is Unsenet, once you have posted a message
I'm not sure you can really expect to control what happens to it. Has
Goggle asked your permission to archive your messages ?

Google respects X-No Archive in headers. This site doesn't.

Oh sure, I realise that, but that isn't the same as asking permission is
it.

No it's not. I am on your side on this.
--
Martin
Old 25-01-2004, 12:04 PM
martin

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:11:36 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:
"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum
^^^
- Section for the English.
^^^^^^^
!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?
Kay Easton

We could of course start to post 'special' messages for the 'Forum' full of
good advice, like plant your bedding plants now.......dig up your
daffs to make
sure they are growing Ok............."~

Don't forget to plant your seeds the right way up, 'cos you don't want
the roots growing out of the surface and the cotyledon(s) making for the
antibodes.

How very profound and how few people are aware of this.
--
Martin
Old 25-01-2004, 12:05 PM
martin

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:19:42 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

A few useful tips from the Dutch Bollenstreek :
Stamping crocus flowers into the ground improves the flavour of the
bulbs the following year.

I thought that was those big bulbs - er - Achtung minen?

as in watch your step, I've just goosed a tulip?
--
Martin

Old 25-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

wrote:

Unforgets me of the summer of 1963 when i was a barman in a Perthshire
hotel. We had this USian guest who was, er, rather expert at sinking the
spiritual stuff.

snip the story

We're not *all* hopeless, you know. Nor are all of you. :-) When I
was in London (glorious!) some people sought to 'compliment' me by
remarking "you don't *sound* American." I had no clue what they meant.
That I didn't sound Texan or Georgian or Bostonian or as if I were
from da Bronx? How can people from a an area half the size of
California with more regional accents than France has cheeses believe
there's such a thing as an 'American' mode of speech?

I wasn't suggesting you were all hopeless. We rather enjoyed the company
of our guest. At the same time though, there was the a fellow at the
other end of the scale.

Typical cartoon of everyone's idea of a Texan - everything was bigger
and better there. There wasn't any malice in him, he was just a rancher
(yes, really a rancher) who was superproud. Nothing wrong with that, but
he had a habit of putting his foot in it with an ill-turned phrase.

Sitting in the cocktail bar he was chatting with Peter Sharpe, a local
farmer. He was telling Peter how he had flown over in his own plane (and
he had). Peter was a man of few words, and just listened. He had just
come in for an afternoon drink, having been working on the farm all
morning, and was dressed accordingly.

When he got up to go, our Texan said: "I sure like talking to you local
yokels." This amused Peter - he could have bought our guest out several
times over.

He would charter an air freighter and fill it with his pedigree horses
and fly them out to the US. You remember ('sixties or 'seventies) that
horrendously expensive bull which wouldn't? That was one of his.

He used to round up sheep driving a new Mercedes - and the village
blacksmith kept a stock of new sumps in....

Unfortunately it's those examples which spring to mind: you meet the
average USian and they're remarkable for being unremarkable.

Just remembered a Mayor of Chicago who was over in Scotland and entered
Tossing the Caber in the Auchterarder Highland Games.

It was a typical cool summer's day and he appeared with a kilt over
tracksuit bottoms and was - er - discouraged.

He was (to my young eyes) elderly, rather overweight and not too good at
the event, but he persevered until he tossed the caber properly, and got
a round of tumultuous applause - genuine, generous applause for his
determination to succeed, and in no way derisive.

Old 25-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Anne Jackson

wrote:

Unforgets me of the summer of 1963 when i was a barman in a Perthshire
hotel. We had this USian guest who was, er, rather expert at sinking the
spiritual stuff.

snip the story

We're not *all* hopeless, you know. Nor are all of you. :-) When I
was in London (glorious!) some people sought to 'compliment' me by
remarking "you don't *sound* American." I had no clue what they meant.
That I didn't sound Texan or Georgian or Bostonian or as if I were
from da Bronx? How can people from a an area half the size of
California with more regional accents than France has cheeses believe
there's such a thing as an 'American' mode of speech?

I found (in London) that no matter what the (American) _accent_ is,
the mode is usually LOUD!

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282
Old 25-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 13:03:50 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

from Frogleg contains these words:

We're not *all* hopeless, you know. Nor are all of you. :-)

I wasn't suggesting you were all hopeless. We rather enjoyed the company
of our guest. At the same time though, there was the a fellow at the
other end of the scale.

Typical cartoon of everyone's idea of a Texan - everything was bigger
and better there. There wasn't any malice in him, he was just a rancher
(yes, really a rancher) who was superproud. Nothing wrong with that, but
he had a habit of putting his foot in it with an ill-turned phrase.

regretfully snip another amusing story

Yeah, but...having an over-large mouth isn't a characteristic
exclusive to any one nation. I realize it's more, um, interesting or
notable when it's a foreigner. Particularly if the behavior can be
related to some popular stereotype. However, Americans seem to be a
free-for-all target. Many say Americans all enjoy this or behave like
that, while few would *dare* to write "all Irish or Italians are..."

I'm sorry to be so sensitive, but I *do* get tired of persistant
slanging about the manners, speech, habits, food tastes, and general
alertness of "Americans," and being accused of blind chauvinism when I
beg to differ. (Not that *you* have, but some do.)

OTOH, having grown up in New Mexico, I'm free to go on at length about
how awful Texans --- all Texans of any stripe whatsoever -- are. :-)
Old 25-01-2004, 03:08 PM
martin

wrote:

Unforgets me of the summer of 1963 when i was a barman in a Perthshire
hotel. We had this USian guest who was, er, rather expert at sinking the
spiritual stuff.

snip the story

We're not *all* hopeless, you know. Nor are all of you. :-) When I
was in London (glorious!) some people sought to 'compliment' me by
remarking "you don't *sound* American." I had no clue what they meant.
That I didn't sound Texan or Georgian or Bostonian or as if I were
from da Bronx? How can people from a an area half the size of
California with more regional accents than France has cheeses believe
there's such a thing as an 'American' mode of speech?

I found (in London) that no matter what the (American) _accent_ is,
the mode is usually LOUD!

I've noticed the same about some British and most other nationalities
when they are on holiday abroad. There is still a type of Brit., who
thinks shouting makes up for not being able to speak a foreign
language.
--
Martin
Old 25-01-2004, 04:07 PM
VivienB

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:39:15 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

We're not *all* hopeless, you know. Nor are all of you. :-) When I
was in London (glorious!) some people sought to 'compliment' me by
remarking "you don't *sound* American." I had no clue what they meant.
That I didn't sound Texan or Georgian or Bostonian or as if I were
from da Bronx? How can people from a an area half the size of
California with more regional accents than France has cheeses believe
there's such a thing as an 'American' mode of speech?

Having met USians while working in a USian company and met some when
travelling, I am aware that the 'American' accent varies a great deal
more than those we hear on TV or in the movies. It seems a very
limited range of USian accents are considered acceptable for British
consumption. I cannot tell whether this arises at the production end
of the process, or if buyers/distributors of TV programmes and films
act as a filter. It should also be said that British accents in 'real
life' vary much more and are often much stronger than heard via the
'meeja' .

Regards, VivienB

With a West country accent flavoured with Irish.
Old 25-01-2004, 05:32 PM
John Rouse

In article , Chris French and Helen
Johnson writes

Permission for what? this is Unsenet, once you have posted a message
I'm not sure you can really expect to control what happens to it. Has
Goggle asked your permission to archive your messages ?

I suggest you read up on the law of copyright. What is written here
remains the copyright of the author, unless assigned to another.

John
--
John Rouse