Old 25-01-2004, 09:12 PM
martin

Default Lifting our forum@

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:48:01 +0000, John Rouse
wrote:

In article , martin
writes
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:19:27 +0000, John Rouse
wrote:

I suggest you read up on the law of copyright. What is written here
remains the copyright of the author, unless assigned to another.

If that was true, it would be impossible for a newsgroup to propagate
messages.

Why?

because it involves copying what you wrote a billion times.
--
Martin
Old 25-01-2004, 09:14 PM
martin

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:08:21 -0000, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

5. I guess the same goes for GardenBanter et al. If you just think of them
as alternative news readers then where's the problem?

As pointed out several times already, they don't honour X-No Archive
requests, which several regular posters here have in their headers.
--
Martin
Old 25-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Rod

Frogleg wrote:

OTOH, having grown up in New Mexico, I'm free to go on at length about
how awful Texans --- all Texans of any stripe whatsoever -- are. :-)

So we go on about 'merkins', just as in Wales we have Cardi jokes, in England
they have Irish or Scottish jokes etc........... and you have your Oki and Sven
jokes.
This is o/t but since I'm partly responsible for opening this can of worms I
should mention the friendship and generosity I encountered over many years on
the amateur radio bands. Endless tales of Americans who would sit down with me
and from across the pond give me an hour long tutorial on the design and
construction of high power transmitters or antennas(somebody who in his day job
would get a large fee for that same work) Somebody who would hear me mention a
difficult to get (usually expensive) component - a few days later an airmail
packet would plop down on the mat with 'gift' entered on the green customs
ticket. I could go on but I won't

---
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html
My email address needs weeding.
Old 26-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Frogleg

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:49:21 GMT, Janet Baraclough ..
wrote:

Frogleg contains these words:

I'm sorry to be so sensitive, but I *do* get tired of persistant
slanging about the manners, speech, habits, food tastes, and general
alertness of "Americans," and being accused of blind chauvinism when I
beg to differ. (Not that *you* have, but some do.)

That's right, we haven't; so give us a break.

In return, we'll try very hard not to sob and whinge whenever some
tactless and insensitive poster from another country pokes us in the
ribs on size, British manners, quaint beliefs, Londoners, habits,
colonial past, food, climate, etc.

Now Janet, how many really terminally stupid posters venture into urg?
That is, more than the usual ration of idiots in newsgroups of any
flavor. My point was that "tactless and insensitive" is not limited to
any geographical location. USAsians are made fun of for thinking a
200-yr-old tradition or site is "antique" or "historic." Climate?
People make fun of your climate? *You* make fun of your climate.
Manners? I've never heard them either particularly praised or
disparaged. Londoners? My own (small() experience was with pleasant
people. I was *tiickled* that the newspaper vendor by the South Ken
tube greeted me after several days of regular purchases with "hello,
luv." So either he or I were idiots, eh?

Aw, phoo. Americans aren't a separate species of creature. We're the
same mix of folk as is found anywhere -- good, bad; rude, polite;
ignorant, knowledgable.

Old 26-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Nick Wagg

Frogleg wrote:

How can people from a an area half the size of
California with more regional accents than France has cheeses believe
there's such a thing as an 'American' mode of speech?

The fact that most of us can spot one a mile off means that this
must be the case, even if we often think that Canadians are
Americans too - well strictly speaking they are.
--
Nick Wagg

Old 26-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Victoria Clare

Sacha wrote in
:
I only took a brief glance at that forum to see what was going on
after Janet emailed me. I'd like to know why they're doing this and
if they get any financial gain from it. Some of the people who post
here are professional and might object to their freely given advice to
*URG* being used to benefit others.

Well I am certainly not a professional gardener, but I have no objection at
all to any of my postings being used by anyone, for whatever reason.

I have learned a great deal from generously given information on web and
usenet, given by people who asked for nothing. I use software by people
who have given it to me for nothing more than a 'thankyou'.

Anything my feeble postings can do to repay that great debt is freely
given: to private users or to commercial users, for use, re-use or sale.

I do actually get paid for consultancy on some topics that I also post to
usenet about. I consider re-use of those posts to be a compliment, not an
encroachment.

If people can make money out of my usenet postings they have thought of
something I didn't: good on them!

It's not like there is only one copy of each post, and if it's being used
no-one else can see it!

Victoria

Old 26-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:

I suggest you read up on the law of copyright. What is written here
remains the copyright of the author, unless assigned to another.

If that was true, it would be impossible for a newsgroup to propagate
messages.

Why?

because it involves copying what you wrote a billion times.

Even if that wasn't hyperbollox, by posting to a newsgroup you give
permission implicitly for it to be so propagated.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 26-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

Now Janet, how many really terminally stupid posters venture into urg?

I think there are some dropping into my killfile ATM - but they aren't
urglers, they're serial crossposters.

That is, more than the usual ration of idiots in newsgroups of any
flavor. My point was that "tactless and insensitive" is not limited to
any geographical location. USAsians are made fun of for thinking a
200-yr-old tradition or site is "antique" or "historic." Climate?
People make fun of your climate? *You* make fun of your climate.

Climate? We don't have a climate. We just have weather.

Old 26-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Chris Boulby

In message , Nick Wagg
writes
Frogleg wrote:

How can people from a an area half the size of
California with more regional accents than France has cheeses believe
there's such a thing as an 'American' mode of speech?

The fact that most of us can spot one a mile off means that this
must be the case, even if we often think that Canadians are
Americans too - well strictly speaking they are.

Ignorance is bliss
--
Chris Boulby National Collection of Diascias
Please note new email address:
Old 27-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Judith Lea

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The two nearest ones to me are still in use - on by a glider club and
the other for light aircraft. These two airfields (Tibenham and Old
Buckenham) were Liberator stations, and their CO was James Stewart.

Goodness, just down the road from me in Norwich.

We in East Anglia have proprietorial rights over Americans, you know.
They are 'our boys' just as much as the RAF aircrew, and accordingly, we
can dig at each-other as only good friends can.

It's true that we look on the American airmen/women as part of our own,
we had a wonderful American Memorial Library - before it was burnt down
a few years ago!
--
Judith Lea
Old 27-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Nick Wagg

Sacha wrote:

And there's that very beautiful cemetery in Cambridge, the name of which
always escapes me!

Madingley (or perhaps that should be "maddeningly").
--
Nick Wagg