Old 24-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Rod

Default Lifting our forum@

Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^

!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?

Waste of breath - try explaining what Wales is to the average merkin ;~(
(Our resident colonials sre honourable exceptions of course.)

--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html
Old 24-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Rod

Sacha wrote:

Some of the people who post here are
professional and might object to their freely given advice to *URG* being
used to benefit others.

And I was going to assemble my collected thoughts into a chunky volume to
finance my pension.........duh.
Ah well best laid plans.....................
Old 24-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rod wrote:
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^

!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?

Waste of breath - try explaining what Wales is to the average merkin ;~(
(Our resident colonials sre honourable exceptions of course.)

Or, if you have nothing better to do and/or are feeling malicious,
explain to them exactly how the meaning of the term "United Kingdom"
varies with context and how the historical, legal, political (de jure)
and political (de facto) boundaries differ. And why the UK (in the
largest sense) is a much looser federation than the USA.

And see if they believe you :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-01-2004, 10:13 PM
martin

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 18:56:43 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^
!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?
Kay Easton

We could of course start to post 'special' messages for the 'Forum' full of
good advice, like plant your bedding plants now.......dig up your daffs to make
sure they are growing Ok............."~

A few useful tips from the Dutch Bollenstreek :
Stamping crocus flowers into the ground improves the flavour of the
bulbs the following year.
Hovermowing snowdrops stops the flowers sapping the strength of the
bulbs
Always soak your hyacinth bulbs in a mix of organic honey and Heineken
for 6 weeks before planting.
--
Martin
Old 24-01-2004, 10:24 PM
martin

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 18:56:43 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^
!!

Old 24-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 23:48:17 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission

I mean to say, did you all know that your names were flying around the
US gardening sites....

the address for one thread about speakers is

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...ties_192835.ht
ml

Dumb. But probably not a violation of copyright. All is avaiilable on
Google groups and elsewhere. Rather nasty to try and make hay out of
another's field, but you can't cure stupid. As a USAsian, I'd like to
note that this sort of thing *isn't* a strictly "American" abuse.

Old 25-01-2004, 01:33 AM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Of course, the danger is
that some of the advice will be very inappropriate for those who read it in
another country and then that forum might have a problem on its hands from
irate and failed gardeners!

Whoever owns it is unlikely to care about that. It's a bit like
rubbish TV. The target audience is ignorant and undemanding; viewer
numbers are all important, the quality of the content or its
presentation are not. Website audiences of urg are being sold short, but
they don't know any better, poor mugs.

From what you've said, at least the American website explains
urg/usenet in a limited way. Gardenbanter very slyly avoids even that,
presumably because the webmaster hopes its members believe this
discussion group is part of his website.

Janet

Old 25-01-2004, 01:34 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , martin
writes
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:46:35 +0000, Chris French and Helen Johnson
wrote:

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission

Permission for what? this is Unsenet, once you have posted a message
I'm not sure you can really expect to control what happens to it. Has
Goggle asked your permission to archive your messages ?

Google respects X-No Archive in headers. This site doesn't.

Oh sure, I realise that, but that isn't the same as asking permission is
it.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 25-01-2004, 03:03 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:
"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^
!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?
Kay Easton

We could of course start to post 'special' messages for the 'Forum' full of
good advice, like plant your bedding plants now.......dig up your
daffs to make
sure they are growing Ok............."~

Don't forget to plant your seeds the right way up, 'cos you don't want
the roots growing out of the surface and the cotyledon(s) making for the
antibodes.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 25-01-2004, 03:07 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Rod contains these words:

- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^

!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?

Waste of breath - try explaining what Wales is to the average merkin ;~(
(Our resident colonials sre honourable exceptions of course.)

Unforgets me of the summer of 1963 when i was a barman in a Perthshire
hotel. We had this USian guest who was, er, rather expert at sinking the
spiritual stuff.

Sgt. Henderson, about 6' 3" of powerfully built Scot came into the bar
to 'just remind us' that it was time.

Said guest (of the female persuasion) hung her arms round poor
Henderson's neck and said: "Aw gee! I do just *ADORE* you DARLING
ENGLISH bobbies!"

Exit Henderson, scarlet to the roots of his hair. Whenever the poor
fellow looked in after that there was a murmur of: "I do just
*ADORE*........"

Old 25-01-2004, 03:17 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

A few useful tips from the Dutch Bollenstreek :
Stamping crocus flowers into the ground improves the flavour of the
bulbs the following year.

I thought that was those big bulbs - er - Achtung minen?

Old 25-01-2004, 03:18 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words: