Old 01-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Frogleg

Default Allotments and thieves/vandals?

How *are* allotments protected/restricted? I've never seen an
arrangement with huts and semi-permanent participation (in the US).
There are a few "community gardens" locally. One experiment in an
'inner city' area was completely vandalized about halfway through the
growing season. My own plot (20'x40') was on a gov't site (NASA) and
out of reach of most yobbos. Large tools (tillers) were kept in a shed
with a lock all members of the 'garden club' had the combination to.
Hose(pipe)s, sprinklers, and small tools were left undisturbed. The
occasional pumpkin or tomato *would* disappear overnight, of course.

So what are the usual arrangements to prevent theft and vandalism?
Old 01-02-2004, 11:37 AM
martin

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 11:20:37 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

How *are* allotments protected/restricted? I've never seen an
arrangement with huts and semi-permanent participation (in the US).
There are a few "community gardens" locally. One experiment in an
'inner city' area was completely vandalized about halfway through the
growing season. My own plot (20'x40') was on a gov't site (NASA)

Our plot 10x10 metres is on an ESA site, three wheel barrows that
disappeared were recovered from builders working on the site.

--
Martin
Old 01-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Robert

: How *are* allotments protected/restricted? I've never seen an
: arrangement with huts and semi-permanent participation (in the US).
: There are a few "community gardens" locally. One experiment in an
: 'inner city' area was completely vandalized about halfway through the
: growing season. My own plot (20'x40') was on a gov't site (NASA) and
: out of reach of most yobbos. Large tools (tillers) were kept in a shed
: with a lock all members of the 'garden club' had the combination to.
: Hose(pipe)s, sprinklers, and small tools were left undisturbed. The
: occasional pumpkin or tomato *would* disappear overnight, of course.
:
: So what are the usual arrangements to prevent theft and vandalism?

In my area we rely heavily on different people being there at different
times. We have fencing and padlocked gates but of course this is no
deterrant when they are determined. The local police have been very good
over the last year and have answered 999 calls and arrested two different
groups of youngsters and at least one group of 3 were taken to court. It
seems to have been ........ but I won't tempt fate lol

Robert South West England

Old 01-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Bob Hobden

"Frogleg" wrote in message ...
How *are* allotments protected/restricted? I've never seen an
arrangement with huts and semi-permanent participation (in the US).
There are a few "community gardens" locally. One experiment in an
'inner city' area was completely vandalized about halfway through the
growing season. My own plot (20'x40') was on a gov't site (NASA) and
out of reach of most yobbos. Large tools (tillers) were kept in a shed
with a lock all members of the 'garden club' had the combination to.
Hose(pipe)s, sprinklers, and small tools were left undisturbed. The
occasional pumpkin or tomato *would* disappear overnight, of course.

So what are the usual arrangements to prevent theft and vandalism?

High fences and the constant comings and goings of gardeners. It helps if
they are in areas with lots of housing overlooking the site where there are
also gardeners. Trying to strike up friendly conversations with any likely
troublemakers helps too but can be very wearing as most are brain dead.
Unfortunately, our experience of the local Surrey Police here regarding
vandalism is appalling, chocolate teapots the lot of them!
Personally we bought an old Landrover (1974 Series 3 van) to use as our
"shed" and we drive it back and forth to the allotments carrying all our
tools with us. We keep our mowers (for the paths and car park) and our
cultivator at home, and these also take a trip in the Landrover when needed.
Yes, it's an expensive way to do it but I can't take having everything
stolen or broken constantly; they have even pushed one shed over to get at
the contents 'cause the lock was too good.
The van also has an advantage when taking produce home too, our car doesn't
get filthy inside and out and we get neighbours borrowing it to do similar
tasks.

Warning! Now old Landrovers have become another hobby. :-)
--
Regards
Bob

1974 Landrover S111 2.25 petrol "88" H/top
1986 Landrover 90 2.5 petrol H/top

Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 PM
jane

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 18:05:38 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

~In article , Frogleg
writes
~
~So what are the usual arrangements to prevent theft and vandalism?
~
~Take all your tools home with you.

That's what I do. I didn't have a shed I could use till last Friday
*yippee got another half plot!!* but I still won't leave stuff there.
No lock on door - that way the vandals can peek inside and see nothing
worth stealing so hopefully won't damage the thing.

Finally somewhere a lady can hide while producing compost activator.
huge grin perhaps I shall have the first shed with a lock on the
*inside*.

One of the chaps had his shed burned down so much that he constructed
an aluminium one, which has so far survived.

On a general scale, there are padlocks on the gates.
People mostly lock them back on when they are on the plots, but once
someone didn't, left it hooked over the gate and the local yoof ran
off with the lock... took 6 weeks for them to get a new one cos it had
to be made to fit all the keys we already had... meanwhile we were
wide open.

I personally have changed all my old, blunt hand-me-down tools for
Wolf garten ones - with one long handle, and interchangeable ends
which fit in a rucksack. Shopping around and Christmas/birthdays made
them a bit cheaper! Also a short handle so I can use said tools while
kneeling - very good for onion hoeing! My godfather (allotment holder
for many years) told me the folk on his site nearly all have Wolf
stuff because you can carry several tools with you from the car park
without collapsing.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 PM
jane

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 18:05:38 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

~In article , Frogleg
writes

Old 01-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Bob Hobden

"jane" wrote in message ~In article

I personally have changed all my old, blunt hand-me-down tools for
Wolf garten ones - with one long handle, and interchangeable ends
which fit in a rucksack. Shopping around and Christmas/birthdays made
them a bit cheaper! Also a short handle so I can use said tools while
kneeling - very good for onion hoeing! My godfather (allotment holder
for many years) told me the folk on his site nearly all have Wolf
stuff because you can carry several tools with you from the car park
without collapsing.

Excellent range of tools with interchangable heads and handles of different
lengths so you can get one to fit you. If a couple garden together you can
each have a handle of your length but use the same heads.
Good quality too, but I don't know if you can get them in the US.
See http://www.wolf-garten.com/public_uk/home/index.hbs

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
368 data units completed.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:35 PM
jane

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 20:38:49 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

~
[...]

The International section of the Wolf website has contacts and an
online retailer for those across the Pond.

Pity they don't do an interchangeable spade and fork too :-) but
somehow I don't think the shafts could stand the pressure...

Bob, you got any of the pronged cultivators? I keep looking at them
and wondering how useful they are...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 02-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Bob Hobden

"jane" wrote in message

Bob, you got any of the pronged cultivators? I keep looking at them
and wondering how useful they are...

Yes we have, the three pronged one, I use it for breaking up the soil
between rows of Spuds before I ridge them up, for breaking up soil compacted
by walking on it when planting etc., Making the bed look nice and tidy.
Quite a useful tool for us on the allotments but I can't imagine using it at
home.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:20 PM
Bob Hobden

"jane" wrote in message

Bob, you got any of the pronged cultivators? I keep looking at them
and wondering how useful they are...

Yes we have, the three pronged one, I use it for breaking up the soil
between rows of Spuds before I ridge them up, for breaking up soil compacted
by walking on it when planting etc., Making the bed look nice and tidy.
Quite a useful tool for us on the allotments but I can't imagine using it at
home.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
368 data units completed.

thieves about in Hampshire BIC United Kingdom 3 20-10-2007 03:06 PM
Bluebells Plant Thieves Tarzan United Kingdom 5 11-04-2005 09:37 PM
Paeony thieves Jo United Kingdom 3 30-05-2004 01:34 PM
Orchid thieves caught in NZ Reka Orchids 1 22-01-2004 01:32 PM