Old 02-02-2004, 01:12 PM
John Towill

Default Snowdrops in the green

As predicted by many here I have had no success with planting snowdrop
bulbs, however I also have had no success in finding a source.

As it must be nearing the time of their availability has anyone any ideas,
they would need to be fairly local (North Staffordshire) or mail order.

Lastly I have a rabbit problem, are they partial so snowdrops?

TIA

John T
--
If emailing direct please remove
wet from towill.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Sacha

John Towill2/2/04 1:06

As predicted by many here I have had no success with planting snowdrop
bulbs, however I also have had no success in finding a source.

As it must be nearing the time of their availability has anyone any ideas,
they would need to be fairly local (North Staffordshire) or mail order.

Lastly I have a rabbit problem, are they partial so snowdrops?

TIA

John T

A Google search typing in 'snowdrops in the green'
http://www.judyssnowdrops.co.uk/index.html
Don't know about the rabbits but we don't seem to have problems with them.
Depending on space and money, it's worth getting two or three varieties
because while some of ours are now going over, other are only just flowering
and still more are in bud.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Victoria Clare

Sacha wrote in
. uk:

Don't know about the rabbits but we don't seem to have problems with
them. Depending on space and money, it's worth getting two or three
varieties because while some of ours are now going over, other are
only just flowering and still more are in bud.

I have 2 varieties of rabbit: I find giving lots of apple twigs, weeds and
space to explore brings them into flower very nicely. ;-)

As to snowdrops, they aren't usually a favorite rabbitfood but if there's a
large rabbit population and not a lot to eat, rabbits will eat pretty much
anything.

The only options are to invest in fencing, reduce the population by
shooting or trapping, or to invest in a dog to chase them off, or a cat to
eat them.

Not all cats will catch rabbits though, so the last is a bit of a gamble!

(Shooting rabbits should not be something to worry about. Practically the
entire life of a wild rabbit would constitute cruelty if inflicted
deliberately on a pet: shooting is very quick, and they breed like blazes.)

Victoria
Old 02-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , John Towill
writes

Lastly I have a rabbit problem, are they partial so snowdrops?

Ours aren't . . . but they love crocus (
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 02-02-2004, 04:11 PM
martin

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:54:57 +0000, Victoria Clare
wrote:

Sacha wrote in
.uk:

Don't know about the rabbits but we don't seem to have problems with
them. Depending on space and money, it's worth getting two or three
varieties because while some of ours are now going over, other are
only just flowering and still more are in bud.

I have 2 varieties of rabbit: I find giving lots of apple twigs, weeds and
space to explore brings them into flower very nicely. ;-)

Next year you will be complaining about the warren undermining the
mole hills.

As to snowdrops, they aren't usually a favorite rabbitfood but if there's a
large rabbit population and not a lot to eat, rabbits will eat pretty much
anything.

including each other and Rusty's famous rabbi pie.

The only options are to invest in fencing, reduce the population by
shooting or trapping, or to invest in a dog to chase them off, or a cat to
eat them.

that's a bit drastic for snowdrops.

Not all cats will catch rabbits though, so the last is a bit of a gamble!

a little lamb?

(Shooting rabbits should not be something to worry about. Practically the
entire life of a wild rabbit would constitute cruelty if inflicted
deliberately on a pet: shooting is very quick, and they breed like blazes.)

a bit like people.

Victoria

--
Martin

Old 02-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Janet Baraclough ..

The message
from John Towill contains these words:

As predicted by many here I have had no success with planting snowdrop
bulbs, however I also have had no success in finding a source.

As it must be nearing the time of their availability has anyone any ideas,
they would need to be fairly local (North Staffordshire) or mail order.

Classified ads in any gardening magazine.

Janet.