Old 16-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Pam Moore

Default Snowdrops in the green

Does anyone know where I can buy snowdrops in the green? Anywhere in
the Bristol area, or Salisbury or Newbury? Or any mail order sites?
Now I can't drive I am limited but a friend wants some too and is off
to Salisbury and Newbury tomorrow!
I can't go touring garden centres and have had to give up most of my
gardening mags as my sight makes reading difficult.
Any help gratefully received.

Pam in Bristol
Old 16-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Broadback

Pam Moore wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy snowdrops in the green? Anywhere in
the Bristol area, or Salisbury or Newbury? Or any mail order sites?
Now I can't drive I am limited but a friend wants some too and is off
to Salisbury and Newbury tomorrow!
I can't go touring garden centres and have had to give up most of my
gardening mags as my sight makes reading difficult.
Any help gratefully received.

Pam in Bristol

I bought mine on EBay, just after my wife pointed out an advert where
there were double the quantity for the same price. Still they are in now.

--
Please do not email me at
All emails to that address are automatically
Old 16-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Janet Bennett

http://www.broadleighbulbs.co.uk/mis...nthusorder.htm
here's a site, (googled and put "buying snowdrops+on line) some other
sites, probably you need to compare prices, postage etc

Old 16-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Janet Bennett

http://www.judyssnowdrops.co.uk/How_..._to_order.html
(sorry, didn't realise the other site was selling bulbs, as opposed to
'green'. hope this helps

Old 16-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Sally Thompson

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:26:21 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy snowdrops in the green? Anywhere in
the Bristol area, or Salisbury or Newbury? Or any mail order sites?
Now I can't drive I am limited but a friend wants some too and is off
to Salisbury and Newbury tomorrow!
I can't go touring garden centres and have had to give up most of my
gardening mags as my sight makes reading difficult.
Any help gratefully received.

Pam,
Shipton Bulbs sell snowdrops in the green by mail order:
http://www.bluebellbulbs.co.uk/
Lots of other goodies there too. We found them very efficient
although I have to say none of our wild daffs have come up but we
think that's something at our end, not theirs. We're hoping they are
just getting settled in and will amaze us next year!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Reply To address is spam trap
Old 17-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Pam Moore

wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy snowdrops in the green?

Thanks to all for info and web sites.
I'm very concerned to buy only from reputable sites having heard
warnings about bulbs stolen from the wild and private land etc. Not
sure what to make of Ebay!
The last few years I have had a patch of snowdrops multiplying and
seeding in my front garden. This year there are NONE in this area,
though a few elsewhere nearby. The ground is not disturbed, as there
is vinca minor over the same area, but not too thickly. Nothing has
dug them up.
What can have killed off all these snowdrops since last year?
Should I avoid planting new ones in the same soil?
I just love these first signs of Spring and have missed the show I
have had in the last few years.

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Mike

.. Not
sure what to make of Ebay!

To be treated with suspicion some of the time. Someone tried to 'sell a
Canon Ball' off the Mary Rose. The Mary Rose Trust was informed and the
gentleman had a visit from Mr Plod :-)) Made the Evening News :-))

Mike
he's the one who has a cat crap free garden :-))

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Spitfire Fly Past

Old 17-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Sally Thompson

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:57:11 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Sally Thompson contains these words:

Shipton Bulbs sell snowdrops in the green by mail order:
http://www.bluebellbulbs.co.uk/
Lots of other goodies there too. We found them very efficient
although I have to say none of our wild daffs have come up but we
think that's something at our end, not theirs. We're hoping they are
just getting settled in and will amaze us next year!

Don't worry..transplanted wild daffs take at least a year (sometimes
two) to settle down enough to flower. The good news is that the bulbs
seem to divide and multiply even when they aren't flowering-size so one
day you'll get terrific displays.

Thanks for the reassurance Janet - yes, that was what we were hoping.
We planted 50 Welsh and 50 English wild daffs which we hope will
spread and naturalise happily on a grassy bank which faces the lane.
Wait for the sounds of Eureka! from Shropshire this time next year
g.

Old 17-03-2005, 03:28 PM
jane

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:55:42 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

~The message
~from Broadback contains these words:
~
~ Pam Moore wrote:
~
~ Does anyone know where I can buy snowdrops in the green? Anywhere in
~ the Bristol area, or Salisbury or Newbury? Or any mail order sites?
~ Now I can't drive I am limited but a friend wants some too and is off
~ to Salisbury and Newbury tomorrow!
~ I can't go touring garden centres and have had to give up most of my
~ gardening mags as my sight makes reading difficult.
~ Any help gratefully received.
~
~
~ Pam in Bristol
~ I bought mine on EBay, just after my wife pointed out an advert where
~ there were double the quantity for the same price. Still they are in now.
~
~ There have been press reports warning about bulbs-in-the-green stolen
~en masse from woodlands and sold. Best to use a supplier who grows
~them.
~
~ Adverts from current Gardens Illustrated magazine (which I've just
~noticed, has acquired the BBC logo on the cover..no wonder it's going
~downhill)
~
~Greenfield Bulbs, Norfolk, tel 01553 828699
~
~single-flowers, £8 per 100, doubles, £12 per 100, £3 post and packingp.
~
~________________________________________________
~
~Eurobulbs , Norfolk, 01945 430009,
~
~single £7 per 100, £25 per tray. Doubles, £10 per 100, £45 per tray, pp £2.
~
~ HTH
~
~Janet.

I don't know if it helps but Jacques Amand in Stanmore are doing 100
for £9.95; that's dearer than the others quoted but I've been
acquiring bulbs for the past 3 years from them and they are good
quality and have made my garden a picture this spring. I'd forgotten
I planted so many! I don't know if they do mail order but it might be
worth phoning them

Jacques Amand The Nurseries Clamp Hill Stanmore Middlesex HA7 3JS.
Tel: 020 8420 7110

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:40:13 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy snowdrops in the green? Anywhere in
the Bristol area, or Salisbury or Newbury? Or any mail order sites?
Now I can't drive I am limited but a friend wants some too and is off
to Salisbury and Newbury tomorrow!
I can't go touring garden centres and have had to give up most of my
gardening mags as my sight makes reading difficult.
Any help gratefully received.

Pam in Bristol

I bought mine on EBay, just after my wife pointed out an advert where
there were double the quantity for the same price. Still they are in now.

Thanks Broadback. Why didn't I think of Ebay!

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:04:56 -0000, "Janet Bennett"
wrote:

http://www.cambosnowdrops.com/snowdrops.htm (another site)

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
Does anyone know where I can buy snowdrops in the green? Anywhere in
the Bristol area, or Salisbury or Newbury? Or any mail order sites?
Now I can't drive I am limited but a friend wants some too and is off
to Salisbury and Newbury tomorrow!
I can't go touring garden centres and have had to give up most of my
gardening mags as my sight makes reading difficult.
Any help gratefully received.

Pam in Bristol

Thanks Janet
It looks as if they can spare a few, but pricey!

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-02-2009, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I keep old messages in my Agent inbox and have realised that I started
a thread with the same title 4 years ago so this year's messages have
got mixed with those. Therefore a few of my replies are to the old
ones! Apologies.

Pam in Bristol