Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snowdrops in the green

Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced mail-order supplier of
Snowdrops in the green? Prices seem to vary a lot on the sites I've
looked at.
My sight doesn't make easy reading of magazines so I don't take mags
any more but if anyone sees an ad there please let me know.
Ijust want the ordinary galanthus nivalis, no expensive £3 a bulb
types!!!
Thanks in advance

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-02-2009, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Feb, 22:07, Pam Moore wrote:
Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced mail-order supplier of
Snowdrops in the green? Prices seem to vary a lot on the sites I've
looked at.
My sight doesn't make easy reading of magazines so I don't take mags
any more but if anyone sees an ad there please let me know.
Ijust want the ordinary galanthus nivalis, no expensive £3 a bulb
types!!!
Thanks in advance

Pam in Bristol

Sacha will know. I need a few thousnd Pam.

Judth

Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Feb, 22:57, Sacha wrote:
On 1/2/09 22:07, in article , "Pam

Moore" wrote:
Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced mail-order supplier of
Snowdrops in the green? Prices seem to vary a lot on the sites I've
looked at.
My sight doesn't make easy reading of magazines so I don't take mags
any more but if anyone sees an ad there please let me know.
Ijust want the ordinary galanthus nivalis, no expensive £3 a bulb
types!!!
Thanks in advance

Pam in Bristol

Pam, we don't do these mail order but as an urgler I'll be happy to send you
some when we get them in. *(Stand back, people - Pam only!) * Let me know
roughly how many you'd like because we bundle them up roughly and they'll be
a present from Devon. *Email the Nursery at
with your valid email address and I'll get some off to you when they're
ready. All I can tell you is that ours come from a local estate that has
literally millions, digs them up and sells some through us - some are
single, some are double and that's the difference. *No posh ID or named
varieties if only because they've been on that estate for too long for
anyone to know which they are! *;-)

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

'SULK'

Judith
Old 02-02-2009, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced mail-order supplier of
Snowdrops in the green? Prices seem to vary a lot on the sites I've
looked at.
My sight doesn't make easy reading of magazines so I don't take mags
any more but if anyone sees an ad there please let me know.
Ijust want the ordinary galanthus nivalis, no expensive £3 a bulb
types!!!
Thanks in advance

Pam in Bristol

Has anyone here grown snowdrops successfully from dry bulbs? The books say
that you are doomed to failure if you try, but I just wondered if anyone has
tried, and what happened.

--
Jeff

Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:
On 1 Feb, 22:57, Sacha wrote:
On 1/2/09 22:07, in article
, "Pam

[...]

See if I care!

(Sniff!)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-02-2009, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 Feb, 11:07, "Jeff Layman" wrote:
Pam Moore wrote:
Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced mail-order supplier of
Snowdrops in the green? Prices seem to vary a lot on the sites I've
looked at.
My sight doesn't make easy reading of magazines so I don't take mags
any more but if anyone sees an ad there please let me know.
Ijust want the ordinary galanthus nivalis, no expensive £3 a bulb
types!!!
Thanks in advance

Pam in Bristol

Has anyone here grown snowdrops successfully from dry bulbs? *The books say
that you are doomed to failure if you try, but I just wondered if anyone has
tried, and what happened.

--
Jeff

I have, in the first year they all came up but only some flowered, the
second year they all flowered, I didn't lose any.

Judith
Old 02-02-2009, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
[...]

I also have, about 75% success. However I have since planted in the
green, sadly though there are less this year than last. Very saddened.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced mail-order supplier of
Snowdrops in the green? Prices seem to vary a lot on the sites I've
looked at.
My sight doesn't make easy reading of magazines so I don't take mags
any more but if anyone sees an ad there please let me know.
Ijust want the ordinary galanthus nivalis, no expensive £3 a bulb
types!!!
Thanks in advance

Pam in Bristol

Keep an eye open for local plant sales. Often people thin out their snowdrops and sell them in large clumps to raise funds. Or ask any friends with large stands if you can have some clumps when the weather improves.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Jeff Layman" contains these words:

Has anyone here grown snowdrops successfully from dry bulbs? The books say
that you are doomed to failure if you try, but I just wondered if
anyone has
tried, and what happened.

Yes, no problems.

Came up and flowered the following year - all of them, AFAICT.

Don't believe everything you read in books - a lot of it is repeated
from what the 'author' has read in books, which is repeated from what
someone read in a red-top.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 02-02-2009, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I also have, about 75% success. However I have since planted in the
green, sadly though there are less this year than last. Very saddened.

I recommend squirrel casserole.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-02-2009, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Jeff Layman" contains these words:

Has anyone here grown snowdrops successfully from dry bulbs? The books
say that you are doomed to failure if you try, but I just wondered if
anyone has
tried, and what happened.

Yes, no problems.

Came up and flowered the following year - all of them, AFAICT.

Don't believe everything you read in books - a lot of it is repeated
from what the 'author' has read in books, which is repeated from what
someone read in a red-top.

Indeed. That's why I asked the question! I think that I already knew the
answer. ;-)

There are far too many OWT (that's an acronym for a politically incorrect
ageist-sexist phrase!) in gardening. Maybe, as it's a gardening group, we
should call them "Old Chestnuts"...

I haven't tried growing snowdrops from dry bulbs, but I was given a clump of
"Sam Arnott" in the green several years ago which has done very well.

--
Jeff

Old 02-02-2009, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I also have, about 75% success. However I have since planted in the
green, sadly though there are less this year than last. Very saddened.

I recommend squirrel casserole.

I wondered if that might be the problem. I shoot the darlings when they
come to my bird table. I guess I will do what I did with the crocus,
planted them a little deeper, covered with soil then put wire mesh on
top and covered that with soil. The crocus are doing fine.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/2/09 06:47, in article ,
"Aries" wrote:

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 02:33:12 -0800 (PST), Judith in France wrote:

On 1 Feb, 22:57, Sacha wrote:
[29 quoted lines suppressed]

'SULK'

Judith

double sulk

YOU can get yourself over here, madam!! ;-)) They're not in yet, though1

Old 03-02-2009, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Feb, 09:53, Sacha wrote:
On 3/2/09 06:47, in article ,

On 1 Feb, 22:57, Sacha wrote:
[29 quoted lines suppressed]

'SULK'

Judith

double sulk *

YOU can get yourself over here, madam!! *;-)) *They're not in yet, though1

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
Perennials & shrubs online

I was in Brighton on Thursday and Friday, I could have nipped down to
Devon I suppose?? :-)

Judith