Old 10-02-2004, 11:45 PM
FF

Default Patio plants

I got two large planters for Christmas and they're sitting out there empty while I
dither. I've already got a fig and a bay in planters, with a variety of things,
daffs, nasturtiums, broad beans, chrysanths etc an a big huddle of pots nearby.
The garden is south-facing & in the SW but rather windy as it's on the top of a hill.
I also don't have much space to bring things in for the winter.

I've been looking in the Parker's catalogue and there's lots in there I fancy but I
don't know what would withstand the wind best. I just loved the datura & mimosa, but
I guess they're out. The mini-olives look like fun but would they be safe outdoors
all year? We almost never get the sort of frost that lasts all day. And what about
the contorted hazel?

Maybe I should just plant 'em up with spuds, but I really would like something a bit
more decorative:-)

A bit of advice would be much appreciated:-)

thanks,

Liz
Old 10-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Kay Easton

In article , FF
writes
I got two large planters for Christmas and they're sitting out there empty while
dither. I've already got a fig and a bay in planters, with a variety of things,
daffs, nasturtiums, broad beans, chrysanths etc an a big huddle of pots nearby.
The garden is south-facing & in the SW but rather windy as it's on the top of a
hill.
I also don't have much space to bring things in for the winter.

I've been looking in the Parker's catalogue and there's lots in there I fancy
but I
don't know what would withstand the wind best. I just loved the datura &
mimosa, but
I guess they're out.

I suspect the datura would cope with the wind, but it wouldn't like to
be outdoors all year.

The mini-olives look like fun but would they be safe
outdoors
all year? We almost never get the sort of frost that lasts all day. And what
about
the contorted hazel?

The contorted hazel looks lovely in winter and spring, and like a heap
of green dish rags the rest of the year.

Maybe I should just plant 'em up with spuds, but I really would like something a
bit
more decorative:-)

I once had purple leaved french beans surrounded by yellowy green mini
lettuces. That looked quite striking.

Do you want them to be permanently planted, or are you planning to move
things in and out during the year?

I'd suggest looking for something to give height, something evergreen,
and a succession of things popping up to give colour. Cyclamen are good,
and you could probably manage those not-quite-hardy ones. Mini daffodils
are very good at fighting their way up through foliage, giving early
spring colour, and then quietly going to sleep for the rest of the year.
Their place can be taken by annuals, or perhaps a climber like morning
glory or a mixed pack of Convolvulus , so you don't know what colour
flowers will be out each morning - they only last a day and come in all
shades of pink, purple and blue.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 11-02-2004, 04:29 AM
FF

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:00:06 +0000, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , FF
writes
[...]

Drat! That's what I thought you'd say.

Maybe I should just plant 'em up with spuds, but I really would like something a
bit
more decorative:-)

I once had purple leaved french beans surrounded by yellowy green mini
lettuces. That looked quite striking.

That sounds like my kind of thing:-)

Do you want them to be permanently planted, or are you planning to move
things in and out during the year?

I'd like them permanently planted with a shrub-type thing. I've got violas in with
the fig at the moment and some of the older pots have a mystery-mix of spring bulbs
underneath things that flower later in the year. I'd really like to have something a
bit architectural, I think.

I'd suggest looking for something to give height, something evergreen,
and a succession of things popping up to give colour. Cyclamen are good,
and you could probably manage those not-quite-hardy ones.

Cyclamen sound good, but I was thinking bigger really. These are big pots.

Mini daffodils
are very good at fighting their way up through foliage, giving early
spring colour, and then quietly going to sleep for the rest of the year.
Their place can be taken by annuals, or perhaps a climber like morning
glory or a mixed pack of Convolvulus , so you don't know what colour
flowers will be out each morning - they only last a day and come in all
shades of pink, purple and blue.

That sounds cool! I like the idea of checking it every day before I set off for work.
And maybe a climber (on a trellis? pyramid?) would be a good idea for the time being.

Sorry this is a bit short - I'm still at the stage where I have to look everything up
before I know what it is! And it's time for bed now:-(

thanks!

Liz

Old 11-02-2004, 08:19 AM
Kay Easton

In article , FF
writes
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:00:06 +0000, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , FF
writes

And what
about
the contorted hazel?

The contorted hazel looks lovely in winter and spring, and like a heap
of green dish rags the rest of the year.

Drat! That's what I thought you'd say.

There's a contorted willow which doesn't look so bad in the summer

Do you want them to be permanently planted, or are you planning to move
things in and out during the year?

I'd like them permanently planted with a shrub-type thing. I've got violas in
with
the fig at the moment and some of the older pots have a mystery-mix of spring
bulbs
underneath things that flower later in the year. I'd really like to have
something a
bit architectural, I think.

Figs are great for that. Otherwise you could go for any of the plants
with spear like leaves. Or a suitable choice of conifer - pick something
that takes your fancy, and be prepared to chuck it if it gets too big or
too tatty.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
FF wrote:
I got two large planters for Christmas and they're sitting out there empty while I
dither. I've already got a fig and a bay in planters, with a variety of things,
daffs, nasturtiums, broad beans, chrysanths etc an a big huddle of pots nearby.
The garden is south-facing & in the SW but rather windy as it's on the top of a hill.
I also don't have much space to bring things in for the winter.

There are lots of plants that will normally be tough enough for
those conditions. I was interested that Feijoa sellowiana and
Agapanthus africanus don't seem worried by mild frost, and a
fair number of citrus can handle it, too. The advantage of a
planter is that it waterlogs less than soil, but it is more prone
to freeze solid.

It is worth being a bit adventurous, but don't rely on a plant
liking the conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 11-02-2004, 10:44 AM
JennyC

"FF" wrote

I'd really like to have something a bit architectural, I think.

Hi
Have a peek at http://www.architecturalplants.com/ for ideas

I have some more links on my home page:
http://members.rott.chello.nl/ldejag...dex.plants.htm

ALL the plants in my garden ar in pots or very large planters........:~))
Jenny

Old 11-02-2004, 06:43 PM
FF

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:09:10 +0000, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , FF
writes
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:00:06 +0000, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , FF
writes

And what
about
the contorted hazel?

The contorted hazel looks lovely in winter and spring, and like a heap
of green dish rags the rest of the year.

Drat! That's what I thought you'd say.

There's a contorted willow which doesn't look so bad in the summer

I've gone off the idea now anyway. We have a load of Russian vine that piles over the
fence from next door & you can really have too much of a squiggly effect, can't you.

underneath things that flower later in the year. I'd really like to have
something a
bit architectural, I think.

Figs are great for that. Otherwise you could go for any of the plants
with spear like leaves. Or a suitable choice of conifer - pick something
that takes your fancy, and be prepared to chuck it if it gets too big or
too tatty.

Thanks. The fig we've got is self pollinating, but another one wouldn't do any harm
and they are nice to look at. I'm not a great one for conifers (too many Rupert
cartoons as a kid?) but something pointy and frondy might work.

Liz

FA: Going Cheap Potted 5' to 6' Bamboo Plants for Patio or Conservatory MrBlueSkye United Kingdom 0 17-08-2004 04:36 PM
Patio plants FF United Kingdom 0 10-02-2004 11:44 PM
good plants (in pots) for very hot south facing patio chaz United Kingdom 1 13-08-2003 07:44 PM
how much, what kind of soil for plants between flagstones in patio anne in los angeles Gardening 5 14-06-2003 02:44 PM