Old 12-02-2004, 11:34 PM
David Hill

Default It must be my age

Realised the other day that I hadn't lifted my Gladiolus corms, lifted a
couple yesterday and was amazed at the very good condition they are in.I am
wondering if they actually need to be lifted each year, except to protect
them from the weather.
Any Comments from anyone.

Then yesterday I discovered a couple of hard boiled eggs that we did for the
journey back from Spain the other week, and I am wondering just how long
they will keep

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 12-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Bob Hobden

"David wrote in message ...
Realised the other day that I hadn't lifted my Gladiolus corms, lifted a
couple yesterday and was amazed at the very good condition they are in.I

am
wondering if they actually need to be lifted each year, except to protect
them from the weather.
Any Comments from anyone.

Only lift ours when it's time to move them or tidy them up, the ones on the
allotments (we use for cut flowers) only get lifted every third year or so
to tidy them up and replant in rows as they do tend to move about if left in
which makes it difficult to hoe. Trouble is, you get so many that split into
two or three you end up throwing good flowering sized corms away.
We get so many little cormlets falling of when you lift them they come up
everywhere like weeds.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 12-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Jan

"David Hill" wrote in message
Realised the other day that I hadn't lifted my Gladiolus corms, lifted a
couple yesterday and was amazed at the very good condition they are in.I

am
wondering if they actually need to be lifted each year, except to protect
them from the weather.

David, I didn't realise gladiola corms were supposed to be lifted, and mine
come back every year. NW England on top of a cold hill.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Mary Fisher

"Jan" wrote in message
"David Hill" wrote in message
Realised the other day that I hadn't lifted my Gladiolus corms, lifted a
couple yesterday and was amazed at the very good condition they are in.I

am
wondering if they actually need to be lifted each year, except to

protect
them from the weather.

David, I didn't realise gladiola corms were supposed to be lifted, and

mine
come back every year. NW England on top of a cold hill.

And I wouldn't be concerned at eating two week old hard boiled eggs.

We're still eating our eggs from September - raw in mayonnaise.

Still here!

Mary

Old 12-02-2004, 11:34 PM
JennyC

"David Hill" wrote in message
Realised the other day that I hadn't lifted my Gladiolus corms, lifted a
couple yesterday and was amazed at the very good condition they are in.I am
wondering if they actually need to be lifted each year, except to protect
them from the weather.
Any Comments from anyone.

Then yesterday I discovered a couple of hard boiled eggs that we did for the
journey back from Spain the other week, and I am wondering just how long
they will keep

David Hill

Hi David,

I don't know about the gladioli, but I went of goggling about eggs :

"Hard Boiled Egg: A medium sized emu egg will take approximately 1hour 45minutes
to cook"

Jenny :~)

Old 12-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"David Hill" wrote in message
Realised the other day that I hadn't lifted my Gladiolus corms, lifted a
couple yesterday and was amazed at the very good condition they are in.I

am
wondering if they actually need to be lifted each year, except to protect
them from the weather.
Any Comments from anyone.

Then yesterday I discovered a couple of hard boiled eggs that we did for

the
journey back from Spain the other week, and I am wondering just how long
they will keep

When we lived down South, in Woking, I never used to lift my gladioli. They
survived at least five years, when I lifted them to replant them elsewhere.

Franz

Old 12-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"JennyC" wrote in message

"David Hill" wrote in message
Realised the other day that I hadn't lifted my Gladiolus corms, lifted a
couple yesterday and was amazed at the very good condition they are in.I

am
wondering if they actually need to be lifted each year, except to

protect
them from the weather.
Any Comments from anyone.

Then yesterday I discovered a couple of hard boiled eggs that we did for

the
journey back from Spain the other week, and I am wondering just how long
they will keep

David Hill

Hi David,

I don't know about the gladioli, but I went of goggling about eggs :

"Hard Boiled Egg: A medium sized emu egg will take approximately 1hour

45minutes
to cook"

And 1 ostrich egg makes a delicious ommelette for 12 people.

Franz

Old 12-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

Realised the other day that I hadn't lifted my Gladiolus corms, lifted a
couple yesterday and was amazed at the very good condition they are in.I am
wondering if they actually need to be lifted each year, except to protect
them from the weather.
Any Comments from anyone.

I had some gladioli which flowered yearly, and I never lifted them, and
they were in a north-facing bed in a rather cool and exposed part of
Norfolk.

Then yesterday I discovered a couple of hard boiled eggs that we did for the
journey back from Spain the other week, and I am wondering just how long
they will keep

What on earth anyone would do with a hard-boiled egg of any age or
maturity is beyond me....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:09:58 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

Realised the other day that I hadn't lifted my Gladiolus corms, lifted a
couple yesterday and was amazed at the very good condition they are in.I am
wondering if they actually need to be lifted each year, except to protect
them from the weather.
Any Comments from anyone.

Then yesterday I discovered a couple of hard boiled eggs that we did for the
journey back from Spain the other week, and I am wondering just how long
they will keep

Glads here in USDA zone 7b (average lowest temperature 5-10F [-15 to
-10C]) are marginal for survival. Some years, plants come back; other
times they disappear. Or maybe a squirrel ate them.

I'd definitely toss the eggs.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

[...]

It must be my age David Hill United Kingdom 3 12-02-2004 11:33 PM
It must be my age David Hill United Kingdom 1 12-02-2004 11:33 PM
Sugar Maple age kate alt.forestry 18 06-05-2003 02:23 AM
Mud Settle-age BenignVanilla Ponds 6 05-05-2003 02:56 PM
[IBC] Prove the Age of Trees John - NJ Bonsai 5 24-02-2003 04:39 AM