Old 29-02-2004, 11:20 PM
david taylor

Default Slope or flat?

In the northern hemisphere the few extra degrees sloping to the south is
worth a lot in winter. Where we are in Devon the sun is about 16.5 degrees
above the horizon on 21st December, in Newcastle it would be about 10
degrees an so on. 6 degrees slope makes quite a differnce to the incident
energy on a South facing slope-60% ish per sq.m in Newcastle.

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Margus" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I have to choose between two properties, one on a slope and a flat one
just down the slope. The slope is quite gentle, about 1 to 10 or about
6 degrees if my math is correct. The size of the properties is about
30 000 sq ft. I have never lived on a slope, therefore don't know what
is good or bad in it. I guess there is more trouble with the slopy
one, but is it worth it? Which property would you choose other things
(size, cost etc) being equal?

Ours was an ungardened slope of about 1 in 5 when we moved in. We took

the
bull by the horns, and with the help of the most wonderful neighbour in

the
world we converted it into 3 horizontal terraces separated by little

stone
walls and suitable stone steps. It is now a joy to garden in it.

Franz

In the northern hemisphere the few extra degrees sloping to the south is

worth a lot in winter. Where we are in Devon the sun is about 16.5 degrees
above the horizon on 21st December, in Newcastle it would be about 10
degrees an so on. 6 degrees slope makes quite a difference to the incident
energy on a South facing slope-60% ish per sq.m in Newcastle.

David T

Old 29-02-2004, 11:21 PM
martin

Franz Heymann will calculate the difference and report back.

--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Old 29-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Franz Heymann

"Margus" wrote in message
[...]

If the sun sits at 10 deg above the horizon, then
The (intensity on a horizontal plot) / (intensity on a plot sloping 6 deg
towards the sun) will be approximately 1.6, making the usual small angle
approximations, so David's estimate is good.

Franz

Old 29-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Margus contains these words:

Janet Baraclough .. ::

That would depend on what kind of soil it is, what aspect the slope
has,(south, west etc), whether the house is at the top or bottom of the
slope, facing the slope, whether there's a river/stream close by, who
will use the garden and what you want to do in it.

Janet

Don't know much about the soil.

I advise you to find out :-).

Slope is to the south-west.

Sunny for most of the day.

House will be most likely at the top of the slope.

Well, if the slope is wet at least the water is running away from the
house. If the slope continues above the plot, then remember the plot
will be collecting drained groundwater from above. If the area has low
rainfall this may be unimportant; if it's high rainfall, or downhill
from a river that floods, it could matter a lot. You need to look on
maps for local watercourses, and also ask about where the land drains
lie on the plot you might buy..

Of course there will be some fruit trees and beds for veggies.

Be very sure that you are able and willing to push/haul barrows and
mowers up and down the slope.

Janet

Old 29-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Franz Heymann

"Margus" wrote in message
[...]

It should be easy for any of you to see that I quoted the reciprocal of the
ratio {:-((

Franz

Old 29-02-2004, 11:45 PM
nambucca

"Margus" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I have to choose between two properties, one on a slope and a flat one
just down the slope. The slope is quite gentle, about 1 to 10 or about
6 degrees if my math is correct. The size of the properties is about
30 000 sq ft. I have never lived on a slope, therefore don't know what
is good or bad in it. I guess there is more trouble with the slopy
one, but is it worth it? Which property would you choose other things
(size, cost etc) being equal?

If your garden slopes then rain is going to slope downhill too and the
higher bit will drain and dry out much quicker so is likely to be a
nightmare to keep planted/grassed etc especially if we continue to get hot
summers

i would opt for a flat garden anytime