Old 11-03-2004, 09:13 AM
s.cieraad

Default wheelbarrow

I hope this is posted to the right group, it was the closest thing I
could find that was related...

I am a Dutch student studying Industrial Design & Engineering at
Fontys University, The Netherlands, and am doing some research into
the usage of wheelbarrows or their substitutes. I have to develop a
new wheelbarrow to graduate so I would like to hear about
anyone’s experiences, hints, remarks, hints, good or bad things
about wheelbarrows. Please help me and e-mailing it to me, I would be
extremely grateful

All information supplied will be kept confidential.

Thanks in advance.
S. Cieraad

e-mail:
Old 11-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Charlie Pridham

"s.cieraad" wrote in message
m...
I hope this is posted to the right group, it was the closest thing I
could find that was related...

I am a Dutch student studying Industrial Design & Engineering at
Fontys University, The Netherlands, and am doing some research into
the usage of wheelbarrows or their substitutes. I have to develop a
new wheelbarrow to graduate so I would like to hear about
anyone’s experiences, hints, remarks, hints, good or bad things
about wheelbarrows. Please help me and e-mailing it to me, I would be
extremely grateful

All information supplied will be kept confidential.

Thanks in advance.
S. Cieraad

e-mail:

One problem is short wives! if the handles are long enough for me, the
barrow doesn't clear the ground when my wife uses it :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Franz Heymann

"s.cieraad" wrote in message
m...
I hope this is posted to the right group, it was the closest thing I
could find that was related...

I am a Dutch student studying Industrial Design & Engineering at
Fontys University, The Netherlands, and am doing some research into
the usage of wheelbarrows or their substitutes. I have to develop a
new wheelbarrow to graduate so I would like to hear about
anyone’s experiences, hints, remarks, hints, good or bad things
about wheelbarrows. Please help me and e-mailing it to me, I would be
extremely grateful

Use the widest pneumatic wheel you can obtain.
(1) Easier to steer
(2) Easier to push over lumpy terrain
(3) Less damage when pushed over "sensitive" parts of the garden

Franz

Old 12-03-2004, 12:20 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

One problem is short wives! if the handles are long enough for me, the
barrow doesn't clear the ground when my wife uses it :~)

Hm, that could just possibly be a fence-refusal of the psychological
kind :-)

I'm a short wife (5ft 2 on low-pressure days) and have never had the
slightest difficulty with any barrows..we've had various different kinds
(John favours builders barrows) and I also use a wide variety on behalf
of the local NT garden (where all the equipt is man-size).

Janet.

Old 12-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

One problem is short wives! if the handles are long enough for me, the
barrow doesn't clear the ground when my wife uses it :~)

And if it suits the little woman, the loop round the front wheel digs
into the ground when I push it, prematurely precipitating the payload.

Also, I bang me shins....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Mike

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

One problem is short wives! if the handles are long enough for me, the
barrow doesn't clear the ground when my wife uses it :~)

And if it suits the little woman, the loop round the front wheel digs
into the ground when I push it, prematurely precipitating the payload.

Also, I bang me shins....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

We have a Builder's Wheelbarrow. Long handles, pneumatic tyre, easy to
handle, but has 2 faults.

1) with having long handles you have extra leverage to keep you away from
the load which is a good point, but, it is cumbersome going round corners of
buildings unless you have plenty of room, wide paths etc, (the turning
circle from the wheel to the end of the handles is greater with the longer
handle)and

2) we have only had it for a couple of years, but it is as rusty as hell
with part of the turnover on the rim rusting to such a degree that it is
falling off already. There was no primer, undercoat or any form of
preservative on it, just a quick spray of nice green paint :-)) onto bare
metal :-((

The barrow was made by the Walsall Wheelbarrow Company. So keep your eyes
open and be warned.

Mike

--
H.M.S.Loch Fada Association Reunion Scarborough April 2nd - 5th
H.M.S.Newfoundland Association Reunion Hayling Island April 23rd - 26th

Old 12-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Broadback

Franz Heymann wrote:
"s.cieraad" wrote in message
m...

SNIP
I am a Dutch student studying Industrial Design & Engineering at
Fontys University, The Netherlands, and am doing some research into
the usage of wheelbarrows or their substitutes. I have to develop a

Use the widest pneumatic wheel you can obtain.
(1) Easier to steer
(2) Easier to push over lumpy terrain
(3) Less damage when pushed over "sensitive" parts of the garden

Franz

I have a plastic wheelbarrow, purchased from an agriculteral engineers,
it has given me sterling service for the last 4 years, except the tyre
has a slow puncture.
Incidently I read about a wheel barrow with a ball wheel, Dyson was
blowing his trumpet about his invention. Strange I had a dinghy trailor
with 2 ball wheels designed by Barry Bucknall years ago for the mirror
dinghy, that was great for crossing hard sand, soft sand or shingle.

Cheers
John

--
Do not reply to the email address. As all replies to this address are
deleted on arrival.

Old 12-03-2004, 12:39 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Use the widest pneumatic wheel you can obtain.
(1) Easier to steer
(2) Easier to push over lumpy terrain
(3) Less damage when pushed over "sensitive" parts of the garden

And the one with the largest diameter. This may mean having the load
further towards the person using the barrow than is ideal, but it's a
trade-off.

I used a Morris 1000 wheel on a plate welded to a spindle on the smallholding.