Old 18-04-2004, 05:38 AM
Brian

Default Toddler and laburnum

Coddled!! Brian
"Mike" wrote in message
As for children it does
depend on how they were cooked!!

Fried or Boiled?

Old 18-04-2004, 05:39 AM
Anne Jackson

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Your posting was very curt and on the lines of Baraclough
of past. Are you by any chance a Traffic Warden in your spare time?

Well, thanks for the compliment, Mike! I may have been curt, but one
does tire of the same questions being asked year after year after year!
Does no-one use Google any more?

What I do in my spare time is none of your business........

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282
Old 18-04-2004, 05:44 AM
Rosie

Anne Jackson wrote:
one does tire of the same questions being asked year after year after

year!
Does no-one use Google any more?

I did look this up on Google - I couldn't find it asked since 2001 and I
thought there might be some new information or advice in that time.

Cheers,
ROSIE

Old 18-04-2004, 05:45 AM
Mike

but one
does tire of the same questions being asked year after year after year!

Is it beyond your thought that this person might even be a newbie and I
might never have posted here before?

Just because you are one of the 'Old Hands' full of experience and know all
the answers through years and years of experience, please remember, that
once upon a time, even YOU did not know all the answers. (When you had your
first baby, you knew just what to do? How to feed it and bathe it? And if
you are a driver, were you born with a driving licence and all the
experience of road craft?)

I think I had better advise you, because you are obviously not aware of the
fact, that at about this time next year, April 'ish' 2005, a complete set of
newbies will 'bombard' this newsgroup with exactly the same questions that
you tire of so much. Might I therefore respectfully suggest that you log out
now, so that these tiresome newbies, who do not know these things, do not
annoy you any more?

Or perhaps we will make a posting on the newsgroup every week as follows. In
the subject line "SORRY, BUT A QUESTION FROM A NEWBIE" Please note that this
is a newsgroup full of very experienced people, of which some do not have
the patience to keep on answering questions from newbies. If you want to ask
a simple question, just like the experienced ones on here did at the
beginning, and so they are not bored to tears, please make a prominent
posting such as the above in the subject.
Thank you.

Would that satisfy you?

I doubt it :-((

You can please some of the people some of the time
You can please most of the people most of the time
But you cannot please ALL of the people ALL of the time

Mike

--
H.M.S.Newfoundland Association Reunion Hayling Island April 23rd - 26th
Royal Naval Reunion Eastbourne May 7th - 10th

Old 18-04-2004, 05:49 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Vicky" contains these words:

/prune/

I understand that apple leaves are poisonous to a degree and removed one of
those from my baby son's mouth once (that baby is now 9). But then he also
had a liking for woodlice.............

Woodlice used to be boiled for 'shrimp' stock by the impecunious, then
made into a sauce for serving with fish.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 18-04-2004, 05:49 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

In that case, as you are so experienced, possibly more than anyone on this
newsgroup and certainly more than me, I have only had four children and one
grandchild, then you could have been a little more helpful and constructive
in your posting. Your posting was very curt and on the lines of Baraclough
of past. Are you by any chance a Traffic Warden in your spare time?

Careful......

Much, much, much worserer and dangerouserer.

Old 18-04-2004, 05:50 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Anne Jackson contains these words:

He and his wife had no children :-))

Well, the difference there would be that I not only had a laburnum tree
in my garden, I also have five children and thirteen grandchildren!

None of them ever attempted to eat laburnum seeds or pods, because
I *made it my job* to educate them as to what was dangerous in the
garden, and what was not!

Besides, laburnum seeds are far too valuable to waste on people you
like.......

Old 18-04-2004, 05:56 AM
Robert E A Harvey

"Rosie" wrote in message ...
I have a toddler and a medium-sized laburnum tree at the back of my garden,
which seems to produce a lot of seeds.

How poisonous are these seeds? They do seem to get everywhere. Would I be
best off getting rid of the tree?

It is a part of family history, that my mother (when 6 years old) fed
a large quantity of laburnum pods to my father (then 4 years old). He
was given a stomach pump and (as my existance can testify) he lived to
eat other noxious substances.

I also understand that toxicity varies, and occurs througout the
plant.

I've read the other answers, and would say that they mostly appear to
come from a Gardener's point of view. Much has been made of the bad
taste of poisionous plant material, but don't forget there is also a
habituation effect: horses and cattle can actually become addicted to
digitalis despite the bad taste, and I have been told of horses
becoming addicted to ragwort.

You need to take your own decisions, of course, but this is one I
would review on a regular basis. There are a lot of very fine trees
that aren't toxic, and if you find yourself worrying, you know what to
do.

It is quite common to fill in ponds until children are of teenage
years, and make other adjustments. Peace of mind and all that.
Frankly the laburnum is not that attractive a plant, in my opinion!
Old 18-04-2004, 05:57 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Anne Jackson
writes
Well, the difference there would be that I not only had a laburnum tree
in my garden, I also have five children and thirteen grandchildren!

None of them ever attempted to eat laburnum seeds or pods, because
I *made it my job* to educate them as to what was dangerous in the
garden, and what was not!

On the more general topic of poisonous plants and kids. There is a
thread on this over in uk.people.parents. anyone got any good online (or
offline) references for poisonous plants likely to be in a garden?
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Old 18-04-2004, 05:58 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Rosie" contains these words:
Anne Jackson wrote:

one does tire of the same questions being asked year after year after

year!
Does no-one use Google any more?

A lot of people may never have got there, or having done so, not been
sure what to do with it. Wassermarrer with Dogpile, anyway?

I did look this up on Google - I couldn't find it asked since 2001 and I
thought there might be some new information or advice in that time.

It hasn't got any more poisonous, but we could try for some mutations
with a certain troll's pitchblende if you like.

Old 18-04-2004, 06:04 AM
Anne Jackson

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

but one
does tire of the same questions being asked year after year after year!

Is it beyond your thought that this person might even be a newbie and I
might never have posted here before?

Fine, in theory, but Rosie *has* posted here before asking this question!

Just because you are one of the 'Old Hands' full of experience and know all
the answers through years and years of experience, please remember, that
once upon a time, even YOU did not know all the answers. (When you had your
first baby, you knew just what to do? How to feed it and bathe it? And if
you are a driver, were you born with a driving licence and all the
experience of road craft?)

Yes, I knew all about how to look after babies when my first child was born.
Being the oldest of a family of seven does have advantages....but WTH does
this have to do with gardening?

I think I had better advise you, because you are obviously not aware of the
fact, that at about this time next year, April 'ish' 2005, a complete set of
newbies will 'bombard' this newsgroup with exactly the same questions that
you tire of so much. Might I therefore respectfully suggest that you log out
now, so that these tiresome newbies, who do not know these things, do not
annoy you any more?

Perhaps the next lot of newbies will have the sense to read the FAQs, and do
a Google search? I live in hope!

Or perhaps we will make a posting on the newsgroup every week as follows. In
the subject line "SORRY, BUT A QUESTION FROM A NEWBIE" Please note that this
is a newsgroup full of very experienced people, of which some do not have
the patience to keep on answering questions from newbies. If you want to ask
a simple question, just like the experienced ones on here did at the
beginning, and so they are not bored to tears, please make a prominent
posting such as the above in the subject.
Thank you.

Would that satisfy you?
I doubt it :-((

I'm not sure what, exactly, your bloody problem is, Mike, but LIVE WITH
IT, and
STAY OUT OF MY FACE!!

--
AnneJ
Old 18-04-2004, 06:06 AM
Anne Jackson

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

In that case, as you are so experienced, possibly more than anyone on this
newsgroup and certainly more than me, I have only had four children
and one
grandchild, then you could have been a little more helpful and
constructive
in your posting. Your posting was very curt and on the lines of Baraclough
of past. Are you by any chance a Traffic Warden in your spare time?

Careful......

Much, much, much worserer and dangerouserer.

curtsey Why, thank you, kind sir!

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282
Old 18-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Mike

I'm not sure what, exactly, your bloody problem is, Mike, but LIVE WITH
IT, and
STAY OUT OF MY FACE!!

--
AnneJ

"I" don't have a problem.

"YOU" have a problem in that you are an expert and you do not wish to see
newbies coming onto your Gardening Newsgroup asking questions.

Consequently, I have nothing to 'live with', but the two problems that you
have to live with, are newbies popping up asking questions, and me.

Oh by the way, please don't shout. (I would imagine that as you are so
familiar with newsgroups and netiquette, that you are aware that using
capitals is a sign of shouting). It shows that you are losing your temper
and thereby not in control of your own emotions.

I also feel that in using the word 'bloody' in the context you have used it,
then that is a sign of swearing at me. Please do not swear at me, or anyone
else come to that, as I explained to Mabbett when he stooped so low as to
swear at me, it shows a complete lack of the English language when you
resort to using such words and I regard such people uneducated in said
English language.

Have a nice day

Mike

Old 18-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Rosie

Anne Jackson wrote:

Fine, in theory, but Rosie *has* posted here before asking this question!

No I haven't! I've only just idenitified the tree.

ROSIE