Old 18-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Kay Easton

Default Toddler and laburnum

In article , Anne Jackson
writes
The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Just because you are one of the 'Old Hands' full of experience and know all
the answers through years and years of experience, please remember, that
once upon a time, even YOU did not know all the answers.

That is precisely why we have compiled the answers to the most
frequently asked questions and post a pointer to where they can be found
every single week.

This particular question may not have been added yet, which is why it is
sensible to look in Google.

In answer to your babies analogy - if you don't know how to deal with a
baby, either you are told by a health professional who is *paid* to do
it, or by your mother, who, once she's sorted her own family, doesn't
expect to have to repeat it ad nauseam. Neither of those apply to us.

The advice to anyone (newbie or not) who asks a question which has been
seen many times before is for their benefit:-
1) if you answer a question that you are bored stiff with, it is
difficult not to let this show in your answer. Not only can you appear
curt, you may cut corners with the reply
2) if you, and others, refrain from answering questions you are bored
with, the number of suggestions may be limited compared with the number
that have been compiled into the FAQs.

This is not about arrogance or contempt for inexperience.

I, and many others who find frequently repeating the same bit of advice,
answer newbies sympathetically when it's a question that hasn't appeared
recently, no matter how facile.

Otoh, you, Mike, have demonstrated that you are more than happy to say
the same thing any number of times, so how about you taking on the job
of advising newbies with the frequently asked questions? You wouldn't
get bored, and they'd get their answers. Perfect!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 18-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Rosie

I'm sorry to have caused such a fuss, but I really DID look in Google and
there is nothing with laburnum and toddler in this group since 2001.

I thought it was reasonable to ask the question again as advice DOES change
and more importantly, the people who contribute to newsgroups change, so
advice is always different.

I also thought that as my trees were prolific seeders, this might indicate
whether they were a specific species which might have a bearing on my
decision.

It's also nice to have a personal response.

Thanks for all your help anyway.

ROSIE

Old 18-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Inge Jones

It's interesting how some groups are far more tolerant about repeatedly
answering FAQs than others.
Old 18-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Mike

That is precisely why we have compiled the answers to the most
frequently asked questions and post a pointer to where they can be found
every single week.

It was more to do with Jackson's attitude and response than anything

This particular question may not have been added yet, which is why it is
sensible to look in Google.

Fair comment. I use google a lot

In answer to your babies analogy - if you don't know how to deal with a
baby, either you are told by a health professional who is *paid* to do
it, or by your mother, who, once she's sorted her own family, doesn't
expect to have to repeat it ad nauseam. Neither of those apply to us.

I think you missed the point a bit, but never mind :-))

The advice to anyone (newbie or not) who asks a question which has been
seen many times before is for their benefit:-
1) if you answer a question that you are bored stiff with, it is
difficult not to let this show in your answer. Not only can you appear
curt, you may cut corners with the reply

Don't reply then and let someone reply who will treat the newbie with a bit
of patience

2) if you, and others, refrain from answering questions you are bored
with, the number of suggestions may be limited compared with the number
that have been compiled into the FAQs.

if you 'and others'. 'Others' won't refrain. See my post above.

This is not about arrogance or contempt for inexperience.

It certainly looked like it in Jackson's posting and she has not had the
courtesy to apologise

I, and many others who find frequently repeating the same bit of advice,
answer newbies sympathetically when it's a question that hasn't appeared
recently, no matter how facile.

As it should be. 'ANY' newbie coming onto this newsgroup should be welcomed
and not intimidated by the 'Holders and Regulars' of this newsgroup. And yes
they 'are' intimidated.

Otoh, you, Mike, have demonstrated that you are more than happy to say
the same thing any number of times, so how about you taking on the job
of advising newbies with the frequently asked questions? You wouldn't
get bored, and they'd get their answers. Perfect!

Well if I had the experience of gardening, then yes I would and you are
correct I would have the patience and not get bored with the same question
coming up time and time again. That is the nature of life, there is always
someone coming up behind, waiting to be taught the same subject. Having been
an Instructor in GPO Training Schools where the same courses are done time
after time after time, the attention is paid to those who are coming in on a
Monday Morning who do not know the subject and go out on a Friday trained.
I have taught in the Prisons where you have to stay wake and keep your
'students' out of mischief, so you see I am well qualified to teach the
newbies with the patience required, I just don't know the subject of
gardening sufficiently to hold my ground with you experts, YOU are the ones
the newbies are seeking advice from. Just give them a bit of leeway, a bit
of tolerance, a bit of patience. Remember, you regulars who own and
'control' the newsgroup, you were newbies once, or were you born with all
the skills of gardening? To use a quote from one who is not so active now "I
think not"

Mike
--
H.M.S.Newfoundland Association Reunion Hayling Island April 23rd - 26th
Royal Naval Reunion Eastbourne May 7th - 10th

Old 18-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Mike

I'm sorry to have caused such a fuss,

You haven't caused a fuss Rosie, I have because of the despicable way you
were received.

Mike

Old 18-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Rosie" contains these words:

I have a toddler and a medium-sized laburnum tree at the back of my garden,
which seems to produce a lot of seeds.

How poisonous are these seeds?

Poisonous enough, and attractive enough to a toddler, to worry about.

Would I be
best off getting rid of the tree?

I wouldn't. Cut the flowers off when they fade and there won't be any
seeds. It's not difficult and doesn't take long (done it myself; we once
had a house with a shared drive; our side had two laburnum trees and
nextdoor had toddlers who often played on the nice flat drive with their
little prams and trikes etc.)

You'd only have to do it two or three times before she reaches a safe age.

Janet.
Old 18-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Stephen Howard

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:58:03 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

SNIP!!

Why don't you let the original poster make up their own mind as to
whether a respondant has been curt or not?

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 18-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Mike

Otoh, you, Mike, have demonstrated that you are more than happy to say
the same thing any number of times, so how about you taking on the job
of advising newbies with the frequently asked questions? You wouldn't
get bored, and they'd get their answers. Perfect!

Given his self-admitted gardening knowledge, 'perfect' is *not* the word
that springs readily to mind! ;-)
--

Thank you Sacha, as I explained I do not have the Gardening expertise to
represent such a newsgroup with such a skilled readership as this. I just

Old 18-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Sacha

Mike18/4/04 2:35

Otoh, you, Mike, have demonstrated that you are more than happy to say
the same thing any number of times, so how about you taking on the job
of advising newbies with the frequently asked questions? You wouldn't
get bored, and they'd get their answers. Perfect!

Given his self-admitted gardening knowledge, 'perfect' is *not* the word
that springs readily to mind! ;-)
--

Thank you Sacha, as I explained I do not have the Gardening expertise to
represent such a newsgroup with such a skilled readership as this. I just
wish the experts were a little more understanding to the newbies :-))

To be honest, Mike, I think this newsgroup has a pretty good record of
welcoming and helping newbies. All of us can get a little tetchy when
subjects recur frequently and as you've been guilty of doing that
deliberately yourself, I'm sure you're aware of that.
However, I agree that in this instance, Rosie seems to have done all that
could be reasonably expected of her *and* she makes the very good point that
this hasn't been discussed here for some time - since when several new
people have joined us.
I think it was unnecessary of you to attempt to stir the pot by dragging in
another group member's name and IMO that could raise as many objections re
behaviour on agr, if not more.
Storm and teacup seem to sum this up, IMO.

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 18-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Rosie" contains these words:

I'm sorry to have caused such a fuss, but I really DID look in Google and
there is nothing with laburnum and toddler in this group since 2001.

Don't worry, you haven't caused any fuss. A troll has; that's a stupid
attention seeker who tries to disrupt and undermine the group and make
trouble. All groups have them. One of the trolls here repeatedly tries
to drive newbies out by pretending that this group is an exclusive
clique of rude people who don't welcome newbies, and can't be bothered
answering either newbie or questions from beginner-gardeners.It's a
lie, of course.

You and your posts are very welcome here, and as you can see, newbies
are not ignored or cold-shouldered by the gardeners here.

Just add the troll to your killfile.

Janet.

Old 18-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Mike

You and your posts are very welcome here, and as you can see, newbies
are not ignored or cold-shouldered by the gardeners here.

You really are coming round to making some very welcoming and instructional
postings since I commented on your gruff replies to people.

Well done Barraclough. You really are beginning to mellow. Keep it up :-))

10 Brownie points

Mike

Old 18-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rosie
writes
I'm sorry to have caused such a fuss, but I really DID look in Google and
there is nothing with laburnum and toddler in this group since 2001.

Oh, don't worry - this is a perpetual argument. We need only the
slightest provocation to start it up again!

I thought it was reasonable to ask the question again as advice DOES change
and more importantly, the people who contribute to newsgroups change, so
advice is always different.

I suppose my advice to someone else in a similar position would be to
add to their original question that they'd tried looking in Google/FAQs
and not found anything. Sadly, not everyone is as thoughtful as you, and
we do have people who will ask a question at the sometime as it's being
dealt with in another thread, and then take us to task for not leaping
to answer it again in *their* thread ;-)

Thanks for all your help anyway.

It's a pleasure. Hope to see you again :-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 18-04-2004, 10:06 PM
david taylor

Again at the end of a long series of postings!
I had read wrt to laburnum that 1 seed could be a problem. We brought up 4
children over the years with 2 laburnum trees in the garden, and there was
no problem convincing them that the seeds were dangerous.
I think the tree is quite attractive and worth keeping.
Toxicity could vary from tree to tree as with foxglove, white and red are
different.
I don't know much about other leguminosae.
Edible peas are obviously non toxic. My source on laburnum wrote that seeds
from I lupin pod were equivalent to one laburnum seed.
"Sacha" wrote in message
o.uk...
Janet Baraclough..18/4/04 11:28

snip
Cut the flowers off when they fade and there won't be any
seeds.

snip

Sigh.....what it is to have brains - obvious answer, of course.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)