Old 18-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Trevor Tyrrell

Default Supplier of large stone?

We are considering building a pond with a large waterfall feature. We
are looking for a supplier of large rocks to build the waterfall.

Does anyone have any recommendations, UK based preferably in East
Anglia or with nationwide delivery?

Thanks

Trevor Tyrrell

don't reply to this meaage by email, it'll be deleted. Instead try my
first name @ my surname dot com
Old 18-04-2004, 05:06 PM

Try your local quarry Trevor, I got mine from Tarmac's nr Bury St
Edmunds, depending on what you describe as big, you can collect, they
weigh you in and weigh you out and you pay for the difference, its
surprising how much will go in a Volvo estate... also you get to pick
the stones you want, a helluva lot cheaper than GC's

In article , Trevor
Tyrrell writes

--
David
Old 18-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Mike

Try your local quarry Trevor, I got mine from Tarmac's nr Bury St
Edmunds, depending on what you describe as big, you can collect, they
weigh you in and weigh you out and you pay for the difference, its
surprising how much will go in a Volvo estate... also you get to pick
the stones you want, a helluva lot cheaper than GC's

Do they apply a tax? Something to do with 'extracting nature's resources'?
It was explained to me that if I were prepared to accept 'crushed concrete'
as opposed to 'shale?' which was straight from the pit, it would be cheaper.
(Car Park for a Community project)

(Shale not acceptable in this case I know, but it is the "Tax" ;-( I am
questioning)

Mike

Old 18-04-2004, 07:14 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from (Trevor Tyrrell) contains
these words:

We are considering building a pond with a large waterfall feature. We
are looking for a supplier of large rocks to build the waterfall.

Does anyone have any recommendations, UK based preferably in East
Anglia or with nationwide delivery?

We've done this twice in different gardens (but not related to ponds).
Local is best, but there are other considerations too. I'd look in your
yellow-pages for local plant-contractors (as in heavy machinery, not
nursery) and see what stone they can source locally. Quite apart from
the cost of transport, alien cross-country stone can look very
un-natural indeed when placed in a landscape of different geology.

Our first (a standing stone)came from the farm next door, our
farmer-neighbour transported it from the moor in his biggest
tractor-scoop and positioned the rock with chains suspended from the
forklift. I had to take down 4 yards of drystone wall to let the tractor
get to the intended position for the rock, and rebuild it after. The
second lot, huge rounded weathered granite boulders from a coastal farm
a few miles away, were sourced collected and positioned by a local
groundworks contractor using a 10-ton truck with side-stabilisers and a
Hiab crane on top. He would only drive the fully-laden truck on paved
hard surfaces,(our drive, not our lawn) and the stones are so huge there
was no hope of shifting or positioning them except by crane, IOW, within
the crane's reach from the truck. You might want to consider such
limitations in relation to your site and plans.

If you can find an amenable local bulldozer/tractor/crane operator
from yellow pages, local farmers or asking around, you could ask him to
save suitable boulders he unearths on other local jobs. If he was going
to be delivering to your intended pond, it would only be another hour's
hire or so to have him dig the pond hole at the same time, and level the
spoil heap.

Janet.
Old 18-04-2004, 08:05 PM

In article , Mike
writes
Try your local quarry Trevor, I got mine from Tarmac's nr Bury St
Edmunds, depending on what you describe as big, you can collect, they
weigh you in and weigh you out and you pay for the difference, its
surprising how much will go in a Volvo estate... also you get to pick
the stones you want, a helluva lot cheaper than GC's

Do they apply a tax? Something to do with 'extracting nature's resources'?
It was explained to me that if I were prepared to accept 'crushed concrete'
as opposed to 'shale?' which was straight from the pit, it would be cheaper.
(Car Park for a Community project)

(Shale not acceptable in this case I know, but it is the "Tax" ;-( I am
questioning)

Its probably the aggregate tax you are referring to, it is(IIRC)
£1.60/tonne so no big deal for the quantities talked about here,
agricultural purposes are exempt so if you could find a link...

--
David